PDA

View Full Version : Fragging help on non-branching hammer coral and elegance coral

Bubbles
07-07-2009, 01:15 AM
hey guys, i recently fragged my first coral, some zoanthids. they all recovered quite happily and are now living peacefully in my 29 gallon or 110 litre tank. Anyway, i know it is a step up but is it possible to frag a non-branching hammer coral, I've heard of some techniques involving rubber bands to separate the tissue. would this actually work? also how do you actually seperate it? just cut it or what?
Also my elegance coral is getting a bit big for the tank and is getting a bit close to some of my other corals. i don't want to sell it and the only option seems to be fragging. is it possible to frag an elegance coral?
any help would be much appreciated!:up:

CarmieJo
07-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Hi Braden and :welcome: to TR.

You can rubber band the hammer and wait for the tissue to recede. Then take a Dremel tool or band saw and cut between the halves.

I don't know how to frag an elegance coral.

Bubbles
07-07-2009, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the reply!
would there be any special treatment needed after everythings been cut?

lance
07-07-2009, 03:37 AM
The rubber band issue is either a 50/50 deal if you put it on too tight you can damage the tissue if too loose the tissue won't separate I would explore other alternative's to fragging it then using the rubber band as this is HIGHLY Stressful to your coral's and may do more damage then good.

lance

Bubbles
07-07-2009, 04:06 AM
so what other methods are there to frag a non-branching hammer coral?

lReef lKeeper
07-07-2009, 08:30 PM
i have done both corals with a WET tile saw. just find a good spot to cut, usually a spot with the least amount tissue involved. i would also personally dip the fresh cut frags in an antiseptic reef dip. i have used this method many times and never lost a coral from it.

you can get the wet tile saw at lowes or home depot for around $50 or so, i HIGHLY recommend adding a diamond blade to it.

lance
07-08-2009, 02:41 AM
you took the word's out of my mouth lReef lKeeper

lance

Bubbles
07-09-2009, 07:09 AM
thanks for that guys!

lReef lKeeper
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Anytime ... That's why we are here.

lance
07-09-2009, 12:51 PM