PDA

View Full Version : T5's and high light corals

rayme07
06-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering could you keep high light corals like acaporas under T'5s I have seen and heard of people keeping them successfully. My tank is a 60 gallon with 4 t5 lights with individual reflectors is that ok. Thanks
Raymond :)

lReef lKeeper
06-30-2009, 11:13 PM
how tall is the tank and what wattage are the lights ??

rayme07
07-01-2009, 12:14 AM
The tank is 19 inches tall and the bulbs are 38 watt's.

ryandlf
07-01-2009, 12:30 AM
I myself have been doing a ton of research on lighting tonight. I'm trying to decide on a fixture for my new 72G. I have said this before and after yet more research tonight my opinion stays the same. I have never owned MH's or a whole lot of coral for that matter (i've been in the hobby only a little over a year). From what i've read though, MH's are going to be by far the most popular choice mainly because they have been used for years and years and still to this day do an excellent job. You can throw a MH fixture over your tank and probably never have to worry about putting something in your system that your lights can't handle. T5's seem scary because everyone has always talked about how you NEED MH's to grow any sps. Well the facts are that its not true. I hate that I can't find the link, but I was reading throw a few of Reefkeeping magazines tanks of the month that are full of a variety of coral and are using T5's. I think the tank of the month i'm talking about in particular is 280G with 10 T5 bulbs over it.

I am personally looking at either a 6 or 8 bulb Nova Extreme T5 fixture and I think it's going to do just fine over my tank. I guess the only thing to do is find out with experience.

rayme07
07-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks Ryan Nova Extreme is a good brand just make sure it has individual reflectors. :)

lance
07-01-2009, 04:17 AM
I now several people, Anthony Calfo being one of them with T-5's over SPS, LPS corals I personally had success with T-5's as well and highly recommend people looking into T-5's before MH most of the time you get the same result's with the T-5's you'd get with MH.

lance

ryandlf
07-01-2009, 08:23 AM
So quick question...
On this 6X54 Watt Light (http://www.marineandreef.com/Nova_Extreme_Pro_T5_48_inch_Current_USA_p/rcu01081.htm) it says "Individually controlled reflectors for maximum light intensity.

But on this 8X54 Watt Fixture (http://www.marineandreef.com/Nova_Extreme_T5_Aquarium_Lighting_Current_USA_p/rcu01123.htm) it says parabolic reflector.

What is the difference, the cost in only 30 or 40 dollars. Would the smaller one in fact be better because of the reflectors?

Iron E
07-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I've been looking at the Nova series lately. The 6-light model is the "Pro" version. Not only does it have individual reflectors, it also has built in timers and 1 cord. The 8-light version is the single reflector and no timer w/3 cords.

rayme07
07-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Ryan, I don't think there is a difference in the reflectors its just called something different Ill check it out and get back to you. :)

Anyone else on my question. :D

rayme07
07-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Ok Ryan now I get it I think that a parabolic reflector is one reflector across all the bulbs not individual. It this case I would get the one with the individual reflectors besides with individual reflectors it makes the tank a lot brighter.

ryandlf
07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread. But you did help me make my decision :)

rayme07
07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread. But you did help me make my decision :)

No problem I don't mind at all its all in the discussion and excitement and I feel that if you have a question on my thread that relates ask it and I and others will help I don't get mad. I was just asking if anyone has any answer to mine you can still go on and ask questions I am willing to help. :)

lReef lKeeper
07-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Ray. you should be fine with the lights, BUT i would get the most bulbs that you can afford. i would go with at least 6, but 8 or 10 would be even better.

rayme07
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Bobby all I can fit on my tank is 4 do you think that may be a problem.

lReef lKeeper
07-01-2009, 05:13 PM
i not sure, i am a metal halide guy. on a 60 ... you can only fit 4 bulbs ?? that doesnt sound right to me ... what are the tank dimensions ??

rayme07
07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
The tank dimensions are 4ft x 13 x 19 .

rayme07
07-01-2009, 05:20 PM
The fixture I have on there now only has two bulbs and then I have a DIY fixture that I bought from HD me and my dad is going to put some reflectors on but now getting a second look I may be able to put two more fixtures giving me 8 bulbs all together.:D

ryandlf
07-01-2009, 10:49 PM
I found that link I was looking for. This girl is using the Nova Extreme Pro 6X54W and I have to say its a pretty sweet reef. In fact a lot of people using T5's over SPS posted pics in this thread, check it out. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1083336&perpage=25&pagenumber=12) Definately has sold me on the Nova Pro.

rayme07
07-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks Ryan it defiantly is cool tank I think like bobby said its all in the wattage and how many lights you have. The reason I like T5's is because they draw less heat off of them so you don't need a chiller.

ryandlf
07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
I don't know if people knew to click on the link. Here is a pic:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/JerseyWendy/FTS6-23-08.jpg
The girl who owns this tank is running T5's only. A 6X54W Tek Fixture to be exact. This is a 75G.

bbl_nk
07-03-2009, 12:34 PM
If you look at the difference reflectors, you get different sizes. For example the Tek reflectors are just over 2" wide, very good reflectors with high reflectivity and lots of bends to bounce the light around. the NEW Icecap reflectors are only about 1.5" wide so you can fit a few more across!

The answer to your question Ray is yes you can keep SPS under T5. Acros should do pretty well in there but keep in mind, you may have to keep them up towards the top depending on how they take to your tank. Once they grow out, they may shadow some stuff underneath. Maybe mix in an encrusting Montipora for different shape, color and texture.

As most coral vets will tell you, there are LOTS of different things that go into how well a coral will do in your tank. Lighting and flow are two that are pretty standard and controllable and make for a good base to start with. I've had corals not fare well with the "right" conditions and others thrive.

Since many LFS's have MH running, sometimes a coral will not take to the move so much and lose some color or grow differently. Sometimes they do better and get some crazy color not seen at the LFS---just sooooooo many different things going on with corals.

If you know any local reefers with T5 see what they are keeping and maybe see about getting a frag from there to start. Always a good idea to start a frag lower in the tank and move upwards slowly so you don't shock them with the light. If the coral isn't thriving for you, see if you can trade or exchange it. Any LFS worth dropping money to should work with you on this.

rayme07
07-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks brian I was thinking about starting with easier sps or lps corals. Once I get my lights all fixed up where I feel comfortable about getting a high light coral I was thinking about getting a birdsnest do you think that is a good starting coral. :)

bbl_nk
07-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Birdsnest is a good choice. There are so may cool ones on the market like the Ponape and Tubbs and some really awesome long polyp ones like the ORA birdsnest to boot.

LPS is a fine choice and you can really get some cool colors. Favias are really neat if you like a low-profile coral or if you want a bit more meat, there are great Acans, blastomusa and micromusas out there. Plus if you're a cheap bastage like me, you can usually pick up anything from a head or two (maybe more depending on the coral) for under $20. The LPS are pretty forgiving and actually are less touchy than the SPS when it comes to parameters.

Karate Joe
08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
i have a 6 bulb t5 and love it and have never had problems with my coral (altho i don't have any acros) until now. i have a purple haze monti that i bought from my lfs and was a really deep puprle with nice polyps a lighter purple color. it seemed to do great for the first week but over the course of the past 2 months it's started bleaching and is now a very pale purpley white. i've moved it anywhere from top to bottom but doesn't seem to like anything and polyps have stopped extending. it looks like it is growing wider and capping over the frag plug tho. any health tips?

bbl_nk
08-25-2009, 01:29 PM
KJ,

I found with my 6-bulb setup I had a comedy of errors going on that led to coral bleaching. I believe I was actually giving TOO much light with an extended photoperiod as well as higher nitrates a bad experience dosing kalk improperly and more. What are your current params, specifically nitrates, phosphates, pH and Alkalinity? What kind of bulbs and what wattage do you have? What are you doing for water changes? Are you dosing anything?

For me, I did an aggressive 40% water change (would not recommend to everyone), followed by a 20% a week later. I also stopped dosing kalk in my top off water. I immediately saw an increase in color. I have been doing 15g WC every two weeks in my 75g, started using Microbe-Lift's Special Blend to help break down excess nutrients since I had a really gnarly hair algae bloom, as well as using Tropic Marin's Reef Actif weekly (I won a bunch in a raffle). So far so good! All my corals that were leached and not having good polyp extension are thriving. All my new corals are taking off. I cannot say EXACTLY what I did to make this happen, but water changes, stopping kalk and keeping an eye on my params has helped a lot. Color, polyp extension and growth is phenomenal now over the last few weeks.

I currently aim for a PH of 8.1 to 8.3, Alk of 9 dkh, Calcium is coming in around 450, my mag is around 1300 ppm, nitrates are a bit high around 10-15 and phos, amm, nitrites are all 0.

I have six bulbs and three timers that were running around 12 hours total with the actinics coming on at 11 am and off at 11 pm, the next bank con at noon off at 10 pm and the 10,000K's on from around 1 to 8pm or so. I cut it down to actinics on from 1 pm to 11 pm, next set on from around 3 to 9 and the whites only on for about 4 hours max. I think the corals need a good dose of light but not too long of exposure.

Just my experimenting and what's worked for me. Just be diligent about husbandry and do things slow.

Karate Joe
08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
not sure what exact params are at the moment, i'll try to check tonight, i figured i was ok cause i have other corals that are doing great guess i shouldn't assume. thanks

bbl_nk
08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Especially with SPS corals, you'll find some are way more sensitive than others. Some just won't do well no matter what we do right :) What kind are your other corals?

rroselavy
08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
i have a purple haze monti that i bought from my lfs and was a really deep puprle with nice polyps a lighter purple color. it seemed to do great for the first week but over the course of the past 2 months it's started bleaching and is now a very pale purpley white. i've moved it anywhere from top to bottom but doesn't seem to like anything and polyps have stopped extending. it looks like it is growing wider and capping over the frag plug tho. any health tips?

I do not have extensive experience with SPS yet, but I just wanted to add that as with all corals, you want to be careful with light acclimation. Do not move corals around too often, and do not change the amount of light they are receiving too quickly. Also, chemical warefare in the tank (particularly if you have a lot of softies in a tank that you are trying to introduce SPS, can also stunt growth or even make things go south. Proximity can cause more acute problems. One of my mushrooms somehow migrated to the top of my LR and attached itself right next to my birdsnest. By the time I discovered it, a decent portion of the underside of the birdsnest had been scorched by the single mushroom. :eek:

As far as T5HO and SPS is concerned, there are a few things I've learned through research:

1) There are many many awesome SPS tanks being lit only by T5 HO lights. Especially in Europe.

2) A good rule of thumb is one T5 HO bulb (with individual parabolic reflector) for every 3" front-to-back of your display. For example, if my tank is 18" front to back, I want a 6 bulb T5 HO fixture.

3) Having more T5 HO bulbs does not increase maximum PAR, it only improves light spread and boosts PAR levels around the perifery where they may be lacking.

4) Longer T5 HO bulbs (like a 48" 54w bulb) have better PAR results than shorter ones (like a 36" 39w bulb), probably because of the fall off of PAR towards the end due to the discontinuation of the bulb.

5) Not all T5 HO bulb brands/models give off the same PAR. If you want to maximize PAR, then buy better bulbs. Good brands are ATI, KZ, UV, and some others. The PAR obtained from bulbs that ship with less expensive fixtures is usually inferior to the aforementioned brands.

6) If you are looking for a specific look or optimal growth, do not hesitate to visit the T5 Q&A thread on RC (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1495464). It is a massive thread, but some clever searching on RC can usually help you find the 4bulb or 6 bulb combo you are looking for. If in doubt, post a query for TheGrimReefer on the thread.

For example, this is the 6 bulb combo that I found on the Q&A thread for "optimal growth and color". Obviously, there is probably a compromise between growth and color, but this is what I am using on my T5 HO fixture:

front
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

7) Not all fixtures with individual reflectors are the same. The better ones have active, built-in cooling fans for extended bulb life, performance, and to reduce heat transfer to the tank. The less expensive ones may run hotter or require additional cooling to keep the tank and bulbs running their best.

8) You do not necessarily need the most expensive T5HO fixture or retrofit for more shallow tanks. Anything less than 18" deep probably can grow SPS just fine with a Current USA Nova Extreme fixture. Tanks less than 14" do not even require individual reflectors. It all just depends on how deep you need to go.

9) T5 HO's seem to reach an maximum effective depth of 24" (using the best reflectors and cooling and ballasts) before an alternative light source (like MH) is necessary. Overdriven (VHO) T5's may be an exception to this rule.

10) Not exclusively a T5 HO tip, but an important one just the same: You will obtain better PAR if you do not paint the back of your tank. Here's the article: http://www.liquid-medium.com/1_2/backgrounds.htm