PDA

View Full Version : When can I add Macro to my tank

meoklmrk91
06-12-2009, 07:24 PM
I am planning on using Chaetomorpha as part of my filtration system. The tank has been cycling for a week. I was just wondering when would be the best time to add it. Should I wait until the tank is fully cycled or should I put it in sooner.

7perseo7
06-12-2009, 07:58 PM
you can add it now and if you want to accelerate the process you can add some flake fish food .
(i know it sounds weird) but it works,if you have a sump you can add it there and have a light on at night.
if you buy the algae from somebody who has it in a stablished tank this is the best way to go. it will have nitrifying bacteria with it. good luck in your new tank!

meoklmrk91
06-12-2009, 08:34 PM
you can add it now and if you want to accelerate the process you can add some flake fish food .
(i know it sounds weird) but it works,if you have a sump you can add it there and have a light on at night.
if you buy the algae from somebody who has it in a stablished tank this is the best way to go. it will have nitrifying bacteria with it. good luck in your new tank!

Thanks I don't have a sump, I do have a backpack which is kinda like a small sump if you ask me and I'm planning on keeping the chaeto in one of the compartments in there. Chances are I will be buying from a shop since I don't know any other reefers. I'm Irish and the hobby isn't very established here. Oh and I already have the food in there as well, I like to joke that I am feeding my rocks. lol.

CarmieJo
06-12-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't think that macros contain nitrifing bacteria. They do however uptake nitrogen and are great pod nurseries.

almondsaz
06-14-2009, 11:25 AM
My understanding is the same as CarmieJo that Chaeto won't contian nitrifying bacteria but that they are great mediums for removal of nitrogen, great home for pods, don't go sexual so won't foul the water and are easy to keep. I would note that other types of macro I would not put in a DT, only a sump or fuge. Such as Caulerpa Prolifera, Caulerpa Taxifolia, Gracilaria or for that matter any of the Caulerpa family. They go sexual and once they get established - meaning roots in the system or on your LR, they are extremely difficult to remove completely. For that reason I only keep them in the fuge and it works out great. Your backpack would be the same thing. For best results, Caulerpa likes to roll so it won't keep collecting misc debris from the system. Hope this is helpful.

meoklmrk91
06-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks almondsaz that's all great information. I had decided on the Chaeto on the advice of another reefer who told me the same things that you have. I much prefer the idea of the Chaeto to the Caulerpa at least for now anyway cause I am a newbie. Plus I'm not even sure if Caulerpa is even legal where I live.

almondsaz
06-14-2009, 03:06 PM
meoklmrk91: I really like the prolifera becuase it gives good cover for the pods to thrive in the fuge so I have used it as well, but really like the Caulerpa - had to spell it, but love to have it in the fuge. Good luck.

CarmieJo
06-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I like caulerpa because it grows REALLY fast and is great for nutrient export. You can harvest it and a week later it has regrown everything you harvested.

meoklmrk91
06-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I like caulerpa because it grows REALLY fast and is great for nutrient export. You can harvest it and a week later it has regrown everything you harvested.

A lot of people really seem to like Caulerpa, but I am worried about it taking over my tank, I've read that it is really hard to get rid of once it's in there. Which would you recommend Carmie the Chaeto or the Caulerpa. I already have the live rock in one section of the backpack along with the skimmer in another. All I really need to complete my filtration system is the Algae.

CarmieJo
06-15-2009, 12:24 AM
You can't keep both together, one will overtake the other. Since you are just starting your tank out I think maybe cheato is the way to go. You don't have an overload of nutrients at this point in time so rapid nutrient export is not a prime consideration. Since it does not have to be pruned frequently and lighted round the clock to prevent it going sexual like caulerpa you could also say it is "easier" to keep.

meoklmrk91
06-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Okay I'm happy with that I'll give my LFS a ring tomorrow because I'm fairly sure that they will have to order it in. Is it okay to add it now or I wait.

FishFinder
06-15-2009, 05:31 PM
I have also read it is good idea to rotate or flip cheato once in a while if you do not have it tumbling. People also put it below their overflow or next to a powerhead to keep it tumbling. Although I don't see how pods can survive in tumbling cheato, unless you have a separate section in your refugium where your cheato that is not tumbling. I guess I am confused about the about the whole tumbling cheato thing...:shout: :bash:

CarmieJo
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
ME, I think you can add it now.

I think the cheato is so dense with all the nooks and crannies that the pods never notice it.

meoklmrk91
06-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Great thanks.

7perseo7
06-17-2009, 07:35 AM
i have dragonets and the main food source is pods,so i keep a lot of them on my tanks.when i clean the filters the pods are living inside there too, thiis is in the dark after the skimmer,passing by two pumps,do not underestimate the pod, Lol
Caulerpa is also good, but as carmie said ;it needs a stablished tank (with fish) they trive on amonia,no fish no amonia,that is why i said you should add a little bit of fish food to add ammonia to feed the Algae to feed the bacteria,it is a very complex full cycle but you get the idea.
BTW: there is bacteria on all items of a stablised tank,i did not say algae makes it or absorve it,i said if he gets it from somebodys tank it will have some in it. a lot of growers grow it outside on an empty tank so it grows fast.