PDA

View Full Version : ich prevention

dreams
05-06-2006, 09:45 AM
i didn't know where to put this, so....

when i set up the 40g, not knowing any better, believing a LFS, and the recommendations from a certain site, i added a kole tang to my tank......well, i ended up w/ an ich issue, that almost made me breakdown the tank

my clown, firefish, cleaner shrimps, and a turbo are residing in that tank along w/ some zoos.....now, when my other tank is ready, do i move the inverts & LR to the new tank and lower the salinity of the 40 as a precation?....how long do i keep them in there for, since they are not showing any signs of ich, at the present time (they are very healthy)....i am also thinking i will use something like ich-attack (i've used it before and didn't appear to hurt anything)...i will be using this tank as a QT for new additions as i aquire them....how long do they stay in a QT before being introducing in the new tank?

i don't want to use anything like copper, because i still want to use this tank for a pair of gold maroons

fat walrus
05-06-2006, 07:46 PM
dreams, i don't like using any meds at all if i don't have to. i observe for a min of 2 weeks because ich have a life cycle of about 10-14 days. i think many hobbyist confuse quarantine with hospitalizing. i use Stop Parasite, completly reef safe.

dreams
05-06-2006, 08:09 PM
walrus, do you think i need to do anything w/ the fish i already have?.....i would hate the think that there is ich in the tank, but they are just immine to it......then, introduce it into my new tank via them

the ich-attack is an herbal thing.....i think mosty made up of garlic....sure smells like it anyways....iill check out the stop parasite

pham411
05-06-2006, 08:10 PM
first of all how long has your tank been up dreams? what are you water parameters.

i dont like medicating my tank either, and i believe you shouldn't unless you got redbug or flatworms. but for ich i dont believe its needed as long as your water parameters are acceptable. maybe invest in a uv light. it may serve multiple benifits for you.

latez

dreams
05-06-2006, 08:26 PM
it has been up for about 5 months.....as far as i know, there isn't ich in the tank, but there might be....because at one time there was...i do have a small uv i can hook up to it, a corallife 10 watt

ammonia....0
trites...0
trates....10
ph.....8.2
alk....says normal btween 1.7-2.8
salinity...1.024.....i have been bringing it up each week, slowly...i had it at 1.026 and my the LFS told me that was too high....i know now

fat walrus
05-06-2006, 08:28 PM
dreams, pham411 is right about uv. the cheapest long term investment. but if you are paranoid like i am, treat the tank first before moving fish and lr. i'm not sure, but been told that inverts and rocks can be domant carriers. i read somewhere that ick has been found on brine shrimp.

dreams
05-06-2006, 08:31 PM
okay, i'll hook-up the uv

i also have a large one for the new tank......so, that is covered as well

ZeroKoolNYC
05-09-2006, 09:04 PM
I have to say that I love my UV sterilizer. It's meant to sterilize a 400 gallon tank. I love it!

dreams
05-10-2006, 08:24 AM
thanks for your input, zero:-)