PDA

View Full Version : Dual Standpipes

saltaddict
05-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I am looking for information and hopefully pictures on tanks with a single built in overflow box that has dual standpipes and dual returns.

I am looking for the quiet non-flushing, non-waterfall solutions. My concern is the space limitations. Does anyone have standpipes that don't require the addition of the upside down U joint?

Thanks in advance for you help, knowledge and wisdom.

Rhonda

V
05-25-2009, 11:50 AM
street elbows can get pretty compact in design if you look hard enough.

besides the 'actual' water travel in the pipe work, having a submerged intake is by far the quietest solution on offer.

if your looking at straight designs there are plenty online. just have to limit the vortex drain. others can give links im sure

2 things,
a) whats your reason for duel dump pipes in the same housing,
b) are you refering to both dump pipes & returns coming from your overflow box?

Iron E
05-25-2009, 05:32 PM
I ran dual drains in my All Glass overflow box and plumbed the return over the top. Shown below are the two drain pipes. One is reduced to accommodate the 3/4" bulkhead in the tank. Under the tank I plumbed them together to a 1-1/2" drain to allow full flow.

I was afraid the single 1" drain would not keep up with my 1100 GPH pump. Now that I've got my system pumping, I'm glad i did the two drains. The two drains together are just barely enough.

Tom

PhotoJohn
05-25-2009, 10:19 PM
you could do a system like this to keep from getting flushing and you wouldnt need the U pipe at the top.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3403/3565442120_120fe5daac.jpg?v=0

The smaller pipe would be to allow air flow in. You would put a cap on it but drill a hole in the cap. It is more or less how my drains are set up. It works great. I never have any flushing.

saltaddict
05-25-2009, 11:25 PM
street elbows can get pretty compact in design if you look hard enough.

besides the 'actual' water travel in the pipe work, having a submerged intake is by far the quietest solution on offer.

if your looking at straight designs there are plenty online. just have to limit the vortex drain. others can give links im sure

2 things,
a) whats your reason for duel dump pipes in the same housing,
b) are you refering to both dump pipes & returns coming from your overflow box?

I got a really great deal on a tank the only issue is there is only one overflow box and it houses both drains and both returns. It is 5"x7" and that isn't much play room.

saltaddict
05-25-2009, 11:28 PM
you could do a system like this to keep from getting flushing and you wouldnt need the U pipe at the top.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3403/3565442120_120fe5daac.jpg?v=0

The smaller pipe would be to allow air flow in. You would put a cap on it but drill a hole in the cap. It is more or less how my drains are set up. It works great. I never have any flushing.

John,

Thanks! Could I tap into the the drain lines under the tank and then take the air pipes to the back side?? Do you think that would work the same?
Genius!

V
05-26-2009, 08:46 AM
this system works, still abit loud though due to a straight dump, your effectivly allowing less back pressure with your secondary input, and due to gravity taking the path of least resistance, if its high enough without water backup issues, you wont have any problems.

im not sold on the whole cap & drill/ tube thing though. besides personally seeing at as plain messy, there is a far simpler way that lets it regulate itself.

John mentioned he has zero flushing, this is a good thing, i just dont see how you get around the vortex thats eventually created at the intake if its vertical?

Iron E
05-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I was thinking of a drain design like the p-trap/vent on a bathroom sink, do you think that would kill the gurgle/vortex/bubbles thing?

Tom

PhotoJohn
05-26-2009, 12:54 PM
I dont have a standard overflow, that may be why I have had success

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067/2927818168_a5ce2a2f68_m.jpg

I had to repipe some of the drains to make them work with my sump, but it looks pretty much like this. On the end of the 90's in the overflow are (i think) 7" pipes sticking up. So my pipes do bend. I may get a small vortex but I have two 1.5" drains and I am only running 900gph return. One drain could probably handle the system.

V
05-27-2009, 12:12 AM
yeah thats the reason, a coast to coast running 2x 90deg before the vertical drop with an inclusive snorkle.

guys at the end of the day, plumbing isn't rocket science. It can be as simple or as complicated as one chooses to make it.

If you oversize the dump pipe as large as you can your safe regardless.
my personal preference is a submerged intake but its a mathamatical certainty you will still have noise when it exits into the sump. the longer the fall, the more force it hits the water in the bottom & hence louder noise. If you dont hear anything at all you cant tell if something is wrong, so look at it as a mini positive you can hear at least something.

for those that dont have the space or the preference for a submerged intake, there are plenty of examples on the internet that people has tried, or posted here as john has done to display solutions. sometimes you just have to give a choosen solution a go by trial & error & see if its right for you.

saltaddict
05-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks all - I don't mind hearing water hit the sump it is the flushing noise that I can't stand.

I appreciate everyone's help.

bbl_nk
05-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Do a Google search for "Herbie Overflow" This is a great setup and is SOOOOOOO quiet. I even modified it on my HOB overflow and can barely hear it! Premis is simple. You have two overflow standpipes. One that is restricted and the other not.

The restricted one is just a fully open tube with a ball valve to restrict or regulate flow. The other uses a standard durso, stockman or whatever type standpipe you are using. The restricted side will take the majority of the water. You just tune it in where your level is consistant and the unrestricted line is not making a vortex. I did it with spare plumbing parts in a few hours on my HOB by adding a bulkhead out the side.

Here is a link to my friends blog where I got the idea: http://dinardiengineering.com/blog/?p=34

Here is my thread on our local club's forum on "The Dark Side" http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1594526

If you have any more questions, let me know. I'd be happy to explain it. It seems a lot harder than it really is.