PDA

View Full Version : vortech pump

dreams
05-05-2006, 02:41 PM
i am looking at this....i can't figure out, is it a complete set-up or will there be other things you need to purchase.....can anyone else tell?....or hear anything about it?

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=IC9111

Rob
05-05-2006, 07:24 PM
its supposed to be a complete pump, however, there is supposed to be an optional controller to add-on to it.

pham411
05-05-2006, 08:44 PM
yups they say the controller is going to operate the pumps wirelessly.
woooot!

dreams
05-05-2006, 09:16 PM
well, after reading the experiences of other people and not wanting anything cluttering up my tank, i took the plunge

Rob
05-05-2006, 10:03 PM
awesome, please let us know how you like it

dreams
05-06-2006, 07:13 AM
will do....

pham411
05-06-2006, 06:51 PM
im still deciding, i was going to wait untill the controler is released but let me know how you like it. are you going to put it on some type of wave controller?

dreams
05-06-2006, 07:10 PM
pham, nope.....there was another video i watched and flow is pretty darn chaotic....it is here:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=422

from everything i could find, i only need the one pump (i also asked again, when i ordered it, just t make sure)....the flow can be reduced by a dial on the pump....so, my thoughts are that i can slightly reduce the flow at night

Reefbaby
05-19-2006, 03:18 PM
it looks like you can hook it up to a wave controller as well. I'm really interested to hear what you think about it dreams.

V
05-20-2006, 12:02 PM
i heard last week this english geeza has designed a pumping system that is powered of heat only, once its started it circulated the initital heat through heating chambers using pressure to drive the water. he's just been given a grant to make them mainstream.
the only question remains, how much heat gets transfered though the piping?
I heard it on the Naked Scientist Podcast feed so its for real! so hopefully no more power consumptions for the pumps, they are also planning on using them for some stuggling 3rd world nations to water crops

labman
05-21-2006, 12:43 AM
hope to have it fairly soon the shipping has been delayed a little because Icap realized the new shaft were not holding up so they slowed production and fixed th ones being built and went though the distribitors to send customers the better shaft most of these customers had not bothered to register yet so they were very surprised vortek took care of them that fast.. I can't wait to get mine hopfully by the end of the month.

Reefbaby
05-21-2006, 06:35 AM
labman...let us know what you think!

fat walrus
05-21-2006, 06:43 AM
it looks like you can hook it up to a wave controller as well. I'm really interested to hear what you think about it dreams.
i think more like a potentiometer rather than a wave maker.

Reefbaby
05-21-2006, 06:49 AM
i think more like a potentiometer rather than a wave maker.
can you elaborate?

fat walrus
05-21-2006, 06:57 AM
an ac converter to divert and then to redirect current. it osclilates power in a converging and diverging pattern to regulate flow in and increasing and decreasing pattern rather than to turn it on and off. or so i'm told. no scientist here.

V
05-21-2006, 07:09 AM
thats a mouthful, never heard of such a device. let me know if u have a link so such a device blubber, wouldn't mind having a look

fat walrus
05-21-2006, 07:21 AM
no link. just big ears at manufacturers tradeshow with my lfs buddy. was told at that time it is like turning a rheostat up and down continuously. there was similar device shown for rio seio pumps.

V
05-21-2006, 07:32 AM
fair enough, blubber u seem to like your toys that manufactuers build in general dont u?

fat walrus
05-21-2006, 07:41 AM
just can't get enough. even have ultra sonic device to repel ick. haven't tried it, doubt if it will work, wonder why i ever bought it. but what the hell, its a hobby.

V
05-21-2006, 07:49 AM
what did they sell u an autoclav?

lol

fat walrus
05-21-2006, 08:05 AM
hey i'm not proud of a quarter of the stuff i bought, and another quarter...i don't know what is it i bought, but the last half, i'm sure i've been one of the guinea bigs that keep the industry alive. that is what is great is that we can share knowledge and experience, no matter how retarded one is.

dreams
05-21-2006, 08:20 AM
thaey are supposed to ship on the 26th....so, we will see

i also thought it was a remote wavemaker

V
05-21-2006, 08:59 AM
yeah thats not to far away, im sure u will drop a line with your results.

but untill then *Hops on the couch* Dr Dreams, ive been having this one dream, that im from mars, and ive crash landed on a planet trying to get to earth, & im scared for a friend because i know something bads about to happen, but i cant see my friends face, cause hes' turned in another dirrection and all i can see is his backside, tell me doc, what could this possibly mean?

:cool:

Reefbaby
05-21-2006, 08:59 AM
FW, so it's more like turning the flow "down/up" rather than "on/off"? If so, then that's probably better for the life of the pumps anyway, right?

Reefbaby
05-21-2006, 09:01 AM
yeah thats not to far away, im sure u will drop a line with your results.

but untill then *Hops on the couch* Dr Dreams, ive been having this one dream, that im from mars, and ive crash landed on a planet trying to get to earth, & im scared for a friend because i know something bads about to happen, but i cant see my friends face, cause hes' turned in another dirrection and all i can see is his backside, tell me doc, what could this possibly mean?

:cool:

ummm...I would focus on the backside! :-)

fat walrus
05-23-2006, 03:08 AM
FW, so it's more like turning the flow "down/up" rather than "on/off"? If so, then that's probably better for the life of the pumps anyway, right?
yes. that is exactly the point. one of the most common reason for breakdown on powerheads are due to the sudden on and off jerking motion of the impeller. some wavemakers talk about soft start, but most magnetic driven powerhead require a minimum amount of current before it can run. wavemakers make no compensation for that. these newer controller will throttle power up and down without causing the powerheads ever coming to and abrupt stop or start.

V
05-23-2006, 05:48 AM
this is actually a damn good idea. im supprised i haven't heard of it till now

Reefbaby
05-23-2006, 04:51 PM
okay...so you think it's a good idea FW? I wasn't sure with your previous post if you were saying it was a positive thing or not....

fat walrus
05-23-2006, 10:09 PM
okay...so you think it's a good idea FW? I wasn't sure with your previous post if you were saying it was a positive thing or not....
yes, very positive. i've already prebooked four units for my seios. will have it in a few weeks.

thrlride
06-12-2006, 01:36 PM
I have tested two of these units and they can move some water, are quite neat looking and I would consider buying them. The only downside is they do make noise, the outside pump is quite hot and the included sticky pads for the wires are junk.

You can read the full review here: http://www.reefmonkey.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4525

I haven't tested against the Tunze 6100 yet but it seems to me the 6100 has a little more power in it's flow.

labman
06-12-2006, 11:24 PM
I have tested two of these units and they can move some water, are quite neat looking and I would consider buying them. The only downside is they do make noise, the outside pump is quite hot and the included sticky pads for the wires are junk.

You can read the full review here: http://www.reefmonkey.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4525

I haven't tested against the Tunze 6100 yet but it seems to me the 6100 has a little more power in it's flow.

And these issues were addressed the head on the outside or inside were not hot barely warm and very quiet the thing i like best was it had a wider more eben water disberment then the tunze. I should get mine very very soon he says waiting with baited breath

fat walrus
06-12-2006, 11:29 PM
with all those issues, was the product rushed to market too early? when is the controller due out?

labman
06-12-2006, 11:36 PM
the heat issue was on the bata ersion I know one person thatwas bata testing also he recived upgrades to his to mmake his comparable to the ones now being released. they have had one issue since it's realese that was Ice Cap decided that they did not like the propelor shaft on the 1st realease and decided to get a list of all the customers that recied there unit Ice cap then shiped out replacments with out a single person complaning. how eer this has caused a delay in the 2nd shipment that I am personly waiting for do out anytime. doesn't bother me because I know once I have mine I get get the same service they got the heat issue and noise issue was in the bata version there was a couple people that complained with the 1st batch which is why they quickly fixed and improed it. having a company like Ice cap stand behind it means allot to me.. :cool:

pham411
06-12-2006, 11:37 PM
way to early i think, i can imagine all those people who preordered must be pissed.

fat walrus
06-12-2006, 11:44 PM
i hear you labman, but maybe in the future they'll test the product a little longer.

thrlride
06-13-2006, 07:28 AM
The ones I tested were for a friend and were first run units. We tested them with and without the replacement parts they sent and the temperature of the motor was 145 on one unit and 155 on another.

155 isn't enough to burn skin on contact but it only takes a couple of seconds of exposure. Now, anyone dumb enough to hold something that is going to burn them deserves to be burned. :) Even a child should pull away...

They may have fixed them with replacement parts but that hasn't been my experience.

fat walrus
06-13-2006, 11:56 PM
thanks for the info thrlride. i myself will wait and see if other issues may come up, like reliabilty and wear.

thrlride
06-14-2006, 10:15 AM
No problem fat walrus. :) As you most likely know, it's never the best idea to buy a first run product even though they are quite cool.