PDA

View Full Version : GFCI Problem

john0087
05-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi All,

Its been a long time since I've been online here.

I recently moved, hence I had to move the tank. I had everyhint set up and running fine late last night. The last thing I did was place my magfloat againg the glass. As soon as I put my hand in the water, one of my GFCI's went out.

I did a quick trouble shoot to see which hardware was causing the problem. It tuned out to be the pump for my skimmer. I pluged it into my second GFCI and it also shup off.

So my question is, do I just replace the pump or is there somethig else that might be causing the problem.

Thanks!

John

Phurst
05-18-2009, 11:35 AM
If it tripped both GFCIs then the pump would seem to be faulty. I'd replace that sucker ASAP.

CarmieJo
05-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I am certainly not an electrician but it seems to me if it pops the GFI on separate circuits it is a pump problem.

Amphibious
05-18-2009, 03:05 PM
It is likely that GFCI saved you from severe shock or worse. Heed the warning. Replace the pump. Even submergible pumps can leak at some point.

rayme07
05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
I agree I would replace the pump. :agree:

john0087
05-19-2009, 08:28 PM
So I ordered a new pump on Monday, but Monday afternoon I tried the old pump and it is now working all fine. I am going to replace the old pump with the new and keep the old one as an emergency back up just to be safe.

Thanks!

John

CarmieJo
05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
It sounds like maybe you have a hairline crack or something. One way the pump turns or sits and it is closed the other it leaks. As far as electricity and water go better safe than sorry is a good motto.

Iron E
05-19-2009, 10:36 PM
As far as electricity and water go better safe than sorry is a good motto.

Right-on, Carmie! Unless of course you like the idea of bein' a curly-haired, bug-eyed corpse! (Does anyone smell burnt toast?

Tom

Iron E
05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
As soon as I put my hand in the water, one of my GFCI's went out.

That's what ya' call havin' an angel on yer' shoulder!

Tom