PDA

View Full Version : Macro Overun

PapaMcEuin
05-16-2009, 09:30 AM
I need to know what this is and what will eat it or help keep it from over running the tank.

CarmieJo
05-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Do you mean the stuff with the little balls? It looks like grape caulerpa. I remember that you have a nano but what size?

PhotoJohn
05-16-2009, 12:55 PM
+1it is grape caulerpa. invasive but great for nutrient export. Keep it trimmed or it will cover everything and you will never get rid of it short of boiling your rock. (personal experience minus the boiling)

PapaMcEuin
05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
20 Gal. I got a couple more emerald crabs to help maintain it. I am also going to get some PhosBan to put in my mech filter to help lower phos so it should slow up on growth. How does that sound?

CarmieJo
05-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Emeralds might eat it but I would be pulling it out too. The problem with caulerpa is that if can go sexual if there are not enough nutrients in the tank.

PapaMcEuin
05-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Ok, now you have to explain sexually active algae to me. I have pulled some out but it all grew back in 2 days time. I did a massive water change yesterday and am planning on doing that again today or tomorrow.

CarmieJo
05-17-2009, 01:46 PM
When macros don't have enough nutrients the algae starts to turn clear and die off. This die off releases all the nutrients the algae has locked up. As the algae dies they will release spores (sexual reproduction) in a desperate attempt to propagate themselves.

lReef lKeeper
05-17-2009, 10:17 PM
just pull as much out as you can and keep it pruned. having something to eat it kind of defeats the purpose, IMO, because the fish or whatever is eaing it is just going to let it back out into the water, in a matter of time. the only truly definite way to get the nutrients out is to keep pruning it an manually remove it from the tank.

although some kind of crabs or urchins can help you keep it from taking over if you dont get around to pruning it for a while.

The Wandering Bard
05-22-2009, 05:25 PM
A tang if you can have one in your tank is a vivacious herbivor, if your tank has more aggresive fish you could look into adding a tang to yout tank, they are mostly reef safe (with a few exceptions-from personal experiance) they might find the plant growth to their liking if your willing to take that chance.

The Wandering Bard
05-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Whoops! I just noticed you have a 20 gallon tank.... a tang won't do in a 20.. sorry please ignore that part. :)

lance
05-26-2009, 02:48 AM
Have you checked your phosphates? When you feed what do you feed and how much? also how is the flow do you have detritus build up anywhere?

Lance