PDA

View Full Version : what chemicals to use

SaltyDawg
05-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Is is ok to use a solution from the LFS that has a little bit of everything in it or should i buy seperate chems and the test kits for each. I have a xenia and a kenya tree and just want to keep them happy. I also had a hermit that looked like it was "paralized". I think it had trouble molting. It looked like it started but couldn't get past his head. On the fourth day I removed it before it died. Do they need additional trace elements like corals? Is it possible to get an all in 1 additive?

lReef lKeeper
05-11-2009, 09:43 PM
i would buy seperate and DEFINITLY buy the kits to test if you are going to dose. why do you want to dose ??

SaltyDawg
05-11-2009, 10:18 PM
I have a 10 gal. set up and I am doing constant water changes and dont want to deprive anything of the essentials it needs

lReef lKeeper
05-11-2009, 10:48 PM
the water changes will cover everything you need in the system, if you are using a good salt mix.

PhotoJohn
05-11-2009, 11:42 PM
if you want to use additives you will need test kits for ph, mag, ca, and alk. If you decided you need them try oceans blend 2 part. It works great and I have seen noticeably increased growth in my sps and lps since using the product. Dick, Amp. on the forums has it for sale in his store.

SaltyDawg
05-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Oceanic natural sea salt mix. Says it has calcium and natural trace elements but doesn't say which. Do you think that there is enough minerals to keep everyone happy. I'm doing a couple gallons every 4 or 5 days. nitrates keep goin up

CarmieJo
05-12-2009, 02:10 AM
I don't dose what I don't test for. Water changes replace trace minerals and so you should be OK there. Except in an emergency I generally don't like water changes of more than 10% at a time. Have you tested nitrates in your new SW?

SaltyDawg
05-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I haven't got the larger tank that was given to me yet so I'm still running the 10 gal. Nitrates come down alot after water changes but only takes a couple days to shoot up to near 40. Would getting a larger power filter help or should I look into a small protien skimmer. I put a power head in that was not adjustable and did 120 GPH thinking that it would keep the leftover food off the bottom and the filter will pick it up. but it only made a whirlpool out of my tank. It makes sense about the additives in the salt mix so I wont add any. I'll get started on the 39gal tank when I convince the wife that I'm not cheating on her with the tank I have now lol

CarmieJo
05-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Definitely get a skimmer over a larger power filter! What are you running in the power filter you are using? Does it have filter cartridges, bio-wheels/balls or sponges? How much LR and LS do you have?

SaltyDawg
05-14-2009, 04:04 PM
the filter that I'm using has a sponge,carbon,and some bio-logic pellets that are supposed to promote benificial bacteria growth. Any suggestions on a skimmer? The LFS has some but not for anything under 40 gallons. Would there be any negative effects to use one that size. My main concerne is to find one that is quiet. As for my tank there is about 11lbs. live rock and a 2" deep sand bed. I want to keep the 10 gal. running and maybe use it for a QT when I start up the other one.

CarmieJo
05-14-2009, 06:50 PM
OK, so that beneficial bacteria is what is causing your nitrates. In your aquarium aerobic (the kind that would live on a filter cartridge) bacteria breaks ammonia->nitrite->nitrate. Anaerobic bacteria lives deep in the rock and in a DSB. They take nitrate and break it down into nitrogen gas. Do you ever see any effect on your tank when you change the filter cartridge out? With a SSB and 11 lbs of LR you shouldn't need the filter cartridge.

I haven't used one but the Aqua C skimmers have a good reputation and I think would work on a 10.

Seahorsedreams
05-15-2009, 07:03 PM
I buffer my RO/DI before I use it as top off or even before I use it to make salt.

Iron E
06-02-2009, 05:32 AM
Any suggestions on a skimmer? The LFS has some but not for anything under 40 gallons. Would there be any negative effects to use one that size. My main concerne is to find one that is quiet.

I use a CPR HOB skimmer that I had on a 55 gal. before. Works great on my 10 gal. Runs very quietly.

I buffer my RO/DI before I use it as top off or even before I use it to make salt.

Buffer? Is that Kalk?

Tom

Seahorsedreams
06-02-2009, 12:28 PM
This stuff....

Reef Buffer (http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/ReefBuffer.html)