PDA

View Full Version : Blue legged Hermets Most Definitely Kill Snails

stefalopod
04-18-2009, 10:06 PM
So my order from IPSF arrived today. I added some of it to the DT with one tiny blue legged hermit (1cm long shell), and I just caught him trying to pull a snail out of it's shell.

Now, I know they say that probably hermits are just eating a snail that already died, except that this snail tried to get away. I'm pretty sure it's losing.

It's a shame too, because I ordered a bunch of 'hermit homes' with my CUC order, and had just dropped some empty shells in when I caught the hermit evicerating the snail.

rayme07
04-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your snail but now we know that blue leg's eat snails.

stefalopod
04-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your snail but now we know that blue leg's eat snails.

Thanks rayme =) It's an unfortunate sacrifice, but it's kind of cool when watching your system shows you proof of something that had been up for debate.

I felt pretty bad when the snail tried to get away, but I couldn't reach them to separate them, and I was affraid it would crawl off and die anyway.

It looks like they're still locked in epic battle... that, or the hermit is cleaning out his new home. Sigh.

rayme07
04-19-2009, 12:56 AM
yea it is pretty cool because now you get to see what happens in the wild right in your own house it sure beats animal planet. lol

Carty
04-19-2009, 01:33 AM
eviscerate.. what a great word, almost as good as debacle

stefalopod
04-19-2009, 01:45 AM
yea it is pretty cool because now you get to see what happens in the wild right in your own house it sure beats animal planet. lol

I actually chuckled out loud at that =)

eviscerate.. what a great word, almost as good as debacle
I almost went with defenestrate, but I thought it might be a little obtuse. You know, hermit crab pulling the snail out of his own window...

But you know, the great thing about eviscerate is that since the snail is a gastropod - "stomach foot" - the hermit could eat any part of it and still "disembowel" it.

Every once in a while people ask me if I like words...

Carty
04-19-2009, 02:23 AM
thanks for explaining gastropod to us uneducated folks in ga ;-)

I could spend all night talking about words... at a cafe over some caramels or something... since we all know caramels are just as arbitrary as drinking coffee ;-) and I know you know that quote

CarmieJo
04-19-2009, 01:01 PM
I love words and so does our son Dominic. When he was in 8th grade he had a current events article due every week. One week he chose an article about prisoners on work release. It went on to say that these inmates were less likely to commit another crime and return to jail than those who did not participate in the program. I told him that the concept of committing crime, bring jailed and released over and over again was call recidivism.

A day or so later he was writing his summary of the article and asked me what was that "re-city" word. Of course I didn't remember the passing conversation and he had to define it for me. The next day he comes home from school absolutely furious because the teacher accused him of cheating because that wasn't an 8th grade level word. He, of course, had defined the word for her and could use it properly. He had concluded that she didn't know the word so one of her students couldn't possible know it either.

The teacher then wrote us a note saying that it was her job to teach and our help was not needed! I beg to differ! Thereafter we delighted in finding vocabulary words that she might have had difficulty with. :)

Carty
04-19-2009, 01:12 PM
haha that happened to me a lot in math class

just because I can do them in my head and the teacher couldn't, I must have been cheating...

how can you fail someone for being smarter then you??

stefalopod
04-19-2009, 02:39 PM
I love words and so does our son Dominic. When he was in 8th grade he had a current events article due every week. One week he chose an article about prisoners on work release. It went on to say that these inmates were less likely to commit another crime and return to jail than those who did not participate in the program. I told him that the concept of committing crime, bring jailed and released over and over again was call recidivism.

A day or so later he was writing his summary of the article and asked me what was that "re-city" word. Of course I didn't remember the passing conversation and he had to define it for me. The next day he comes home from school absolutely furious because the teacher accused him of cheating because that wasn't an 8th grade level word. He, of course, had defined the word for her and could use it properly. He had concluded that she didn't know the word so one of her students couldn't possible know it either.

The teacher then wrote us a note saying that it was her job to teach and our help was not needed! I beg to differ! Thereafter we delighted in finding vocabulary words that she might have had difficulty with. :)

Good for Dominic! And of course your help is needed! I think it's a little sad that our public schools are populated with people who think they know and can teach the entire breadth of human knowledge instead of admitting they don't know something and looking it up like the rest of us do.

CarmieJo
04-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Stefani, Dom is almost 21 now and hasn't changed. :) Now he is as likely to share a "good" word with me as the other way around.

rayme07
04-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Right on Dominic and Carmie. To me I think teachers like that need a serious talk to from their higher authority. I believe that family's should be into the kids school and helping out. Any teacher that don't like that normally gets yelled at by my mom and dad. lol

stefalopod
04-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Ok everyone, so that battle is all settled. I saw one of my snails moving like a hermit today, and took a closer look. The blue leg definitely won =)

CarmieJo
04-21-2009, 01:50 PM
It is always suspicious when a snail moves like a hermit. :)

rayme07
04-21-2009, 08:32 PM
It is always suspicious when a snail moves like a hermit.

yea when that happens it time for the snail detective to come in and it would be the case of the slime. lol :rotfl: