PDA

View Full Version : Unique Clown Fish Breeds

Mclendonmdw
05-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Ok now I’m board at work… A few months back I came across a web site selling clown fish. I neglected to book mark it and have not been able to find it since. The site had some interesting cross breads. Some of the specimens had the craziest markings I have ever seen. Some looked almost camouflaged with the typical reds, blacks, and whites. I remember they called one of the breeds a Mustache Clown as it had a little mustache and unbelievable markings. I am desperate to find this site. I want to stock my new tank. Thanks.

Rob
05-03-2006, 09:38 PM
man...
i know the site you are talking about..
i will look around for it, because i know i have seen it

Mclendonmdw
05-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks a bunch.

Reefbaby
05-13-2006, 04:42 AM
What do you guys think about the cross-breeding of different strains? I remember there being a pretty lengthy thread at RC about a guy who had two different clowns (don't remember which) that happened to mate, so he began trying to rear the young. It turned in to quite a debate as to the ethical aspects of it...

fat walrus
05-13-2006, 04:57 AM
do we have are reponsibility to limit our cross breeds in case they find their way back to nature?

Reefbaby
05-14-2006, 03:31 PM
I think that was some of the issues that people were taking. If these hybrids were to be re-introduced into the wild, it's pretty unknown what would happen to the wildtype breeds...

Mclendonmdw
05-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Humans have cross bread for eons, or take for example a dog, mutts are vary common. As far as introduction of a "new species or breed" into the wild, I think if a wild fish had the propensity to mate with a cross bread or species other than its own, than its not up to us any way. There would be cross breeding in the wild any way. All that’s assuming a reefer happens to take a trip to the south pacific and happened to bring a undesirable cross bread clown fish that they want to get rid of. If he brings one it’s not a big deal, but if he brought hundreds it could be.

kj_yoda
05-24-2006, 08:54 AM
That sounds pretty cool! I would love to see that website. As far as cross breeding, there shouldn't be much of a problem if you are breeding wthin the same family... and these fish are unlikely to make it back to nature.

I found this picture at another forum and thought this was cool. The only variant that I have seen was naked clownfish (perculas without markings, pretty cool), they were a raffle item at Saltwater U.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/kj_yoda/Clown_Fish.jpg

Mclendonmdw
05-24-2006, 09:02 AM
That is a Georgiou’s fish. I would love to get my hands on something like that.

Reefbaby
05-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Well - I have to admit - that's a pretty fine-looking fishy! :-)

gwen_o_lyn
06-03-2006, 06:04 PM
man...
i know the site you are talking about..
i will look around for it, because i know i have seen it

:bump: have we found this link yet?

Rob
06-03-2006, 10:24 PM
nope.. didnt have it in my bookmarks

sorry

fat walrus
06-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Humans have cross bread for eons, or take for example a dog, mutts are vary common. As far as introduction of a "new species or breed" into the wild, I think if a wild fish had the propensity to mate with a cross bread or species other than its own, than its not up to us any way. There would be cross breeding in the wild any way. All that’s assuming a reefer happens to take a trip to the south pacific and happened to bring a undesirable cross bread clown fish that they want to get rid of. If he brings one it’s not a big deal, but if he brought hundreds it could be.
i do have a different opinion and respectfully let me say it is true that that man cannot force a species to crossbreed, but we are certainly a key player. i believe that nature created one dog, Canine Lupis and man bred it into different species based on their perception of perfection or their needs. the "purebreeds" are a creation of man, not nature......and it is again man through his travels and interactions that allowed the "mutts" to be created. the abilitity that nature have is that it will always find a way to procreate. the failure to control the waste water of one public aquarium in monaco created a worldwide panic of the the takeover by caulerpa taxifolia. california is right now under attack by hundreds of non-native species that are competing with or overtaking natural species. the simple african bullfrog has now just about wiped out the leopard frogs and american bullfrogs from california, neveda, utah, arizona, and new mexico. the african tilapia has caused extreme environmental and economical setbacks to some south american countries. the california waterways are at this point choked with african lotus and asian snails. i bet each and every one of the items that i mentioned involved people that really believed their actions were just, but in the end it is man who wants to bring nature home and it is up to nature to overcome his stupidity. we must remember that blessed with the greatest intelligence on this planet, we are also the guardians of it's future. what if more than one person brought "one"?

Reefbaby
06-04-2006, 06:15 PM
:agree: well put FW!

gwen_o_lyn
06-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Same thing with bringing kudzu into GA to control erosion- that was a huge mistake!

Here is a local picture
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Kudzu_on_trees_in_Atlanta%2C_Georgia.jpg/800px-Kudzu_on_trees_in_Atlanta%2C_Georgia.jpg

fat walrus
06-04-2006, 10:44 PM
what is kudzo? is it like ivy?

gwen_o_lyn
06-04-2006, 11:14 PM
sorry- I typed that wrong- its kudzu not kudzo! yup it's a vine and it grows over everything.... GA spends millions of dollars per year just to control it.

http://www.yahoolavista.com/kudzu/

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/kudzu.shtml

Mclendonmdw
06-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I do agree the introduction of an invasive species is problematic at best, but we are talking about apples and oranges here. I was not talking about the introduction of a foreign species. Cross breeding and species introduction are two different things. A species that is cross bread within two native species would probably not be a big deal.

kj_yoda
06-05-2006, 01:35 PM
blame the Army Corps of Engineers.

vaporize
07-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Anybody have any luck finding that site? would love to see it:eek:

CarmieJo
07-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Hi Vaporize,

:welcome: to TR

vaporize
07-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks Carmie :)

gwen_o_lyn
07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Welcome Vaporize!

fat walrus
07-24-2006, 09:30 PM
welcome to TR, vaporize.

V
07-24-2006, 10:49 PM
i dont see an ethical debate in cross breeding, natral selection swings towards preserveing survival traits, not colour traites>unless of course colour is used as a survival trait! which in clowns with a host for protection it is not really an issue! . if they make it back to the ocean in full on colourful versions, 1) they have know idea whats a preditor & whats a friend,cause they are tank breed & 2) fish select the strongest & most suitable mate to breed! and unless its predominant genetic weakness with no outward displays i see no problem with different hybrids on the reef! but what fool puts a fish back in ocean by choice anyways!

fat walrus
07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
but colors and patterns are a survival trait. in most cases, they represent dominance itself.

Rob
07-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Anybody have any luck finding that site? would love to see it:eek:
no, sorry, i've been looking for it though

Mclendonmdw
07-28-2006, 04:05 PM
i do have a different opinion and respectfully let me say it is true that that man cannot force a species to crossbreed, but we are certainly a key player. i believe that nature created one dog, Canine Lupis and man bred it into different species based on their perception of perfection or their needs. the "purebreeds" are a creation of man, not nature......and it is again man through his travels and interactions that allowed the "mutts" to be created. the abilitity that nature have is that it will always find a way to procreate. the failure to control the waste water of one public aquarium in monaco created a worldwide panic of the the takeover by caulerpa taxifolia. california is right now under attack by hundreds of non-native species that are competing with or overtaking natural species. the simple african bullfrog has now just about wiped out the leopard frogs and american bullfrogs from california, neveda, utah, arizona, and new mexico. the african tilapia has caused extreme environmental and economical setbacks to some south american countries. the california waterways are at this point choked with african lotus and asian snails. i bet each and every one of the items that i mentioned involved people that really believed their actions were just, but in the end it is man who wants to bring nature home and it is up to nature to overcome his stupidity. we must remember that blessed with the greatest intelligence on this planet, we are also the guardians of it's future. what if more than one person brought "one"?

You are talking about the Introduction of a species into a non native environment. We were talking about the crossbreeding of species. Two different topics. But I do agree with all ylur points on the interdiction problems.

V
07-29-2006, 12:13 AM
thats a nice speech blubber! i thought i heard on science fridays that its a bacteria or virus thats killing frog population across the states!

fat walrus
07-29-2006, 01:23 AM
You are talking about the Introduction of a species into a non native environment. We were talking about the crossbreeding of species. Two different topics. But I do agree with all ylur points on the interdiction problems.

that is a fair answer. i understand your point...........i am just preaching caution the we should not be arrogant enough to overestimate our ability to control nature and its ability to prove us wrong.

CarmieJo
07-29-2006, 03:05 PM
thats a nice speech blubber! i thought i heard on science fridays that its a bacteria or virus thats killing frog population across the states!

I heard the same podcast. It is actually a fungus and is affecting amphibians globally.

V
07-29-2006, 05:40 PM
yup, thats the one!

Rob
07-31-2006, 01:40 PM
... It is actually a fungus and is affecting amphibians globally.

Dick, you can hide out at my place.. we'll protect you.. :D

wildeone
07-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Well I like my clowns just as they are. I think we as humans fail to see the beauty that is before us and tend to think we need to tweek on things to make them better, maybe it's our nature.

CarmieJo
07-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Maybe we will have to agree to host Dick at our houses one by one. Just think how much we'd learn and nice our tanks would look. :D

fat walrus
07-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Maybe we will have to agree to host Dick at our houses one by one. Just think how much we'd learn and nice our tanks would look. :D

but we need to sterilize and quarantine him each time so he does not spread this amphibean fungus. :D

Rob
08-01-2006, 12:28 AM
but we need to sterilize and quarantine him each time so he does not spread this amphibean fungus. :D
LMAO...
i have the amphibious sized sterilizer ready...
then the 4000 gallon QT tank.. (got to give him some room... )

fat walrus
08-01-2006, 12:38 AM
LMAO...
i have the amphibious sized sterilizer ready...
then the 4000 gallon QT tank.. (got to give him some room... )
good heads up Rob. just make sure you have live food available in case Amphibious will not take frozen or prepared. :o

Rob
08-01-2006, 01:00 AM
good catch blubber, i will start the cultures now...

JeffDubya
08-01-2006, 09:26 PM
That clown fish photo is GORGEOUS!

clownfish4me
11-10-2007, 05:50 AM
i was wondering if anyone has found the web site that has the odd patterned clown fish? also i am unable to view the patternless clown fish photo that kj_yoda has posted above. anyone got a suggestion on how i would be able to view it? i would like to share few photos that i liked of odd patterned clown fish. i hope you enjoy them as i had.....

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd241/clownfish4me/aquarium%20photos/percula1.jpghttp://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd241/clownfish4me/aquarium%20photos/ClownsTruePercula.jpghttp://http://www.orafarm.com/images/picassopercula.jpg

MAXreefer
03-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I found at least the "naked clowns" you were talking about:

click here for the website (http://www.orafarm.com/exclusives.html)

Michael
MAXreefer

stonyreef
04-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Here's a pair of ORA picasso's I had that didn't make it ;(.

http://stonyreef.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/clown5.jpg

Though I have to say, the picasso were cool but I still like my percs better. The picasso never seemed that healthy and declined evry quickly. my percs have much better color than the ORA ever did. Wonder if it has anything to do with the breeding / trait the picasso have?

http://stonyreef.com/images/clownfish/clownfish-say-what.jpg

V
04-05-2008, 12:28 AM
sweet guys, an old post you dug up here. Good stuff, wow to think all posts of this time were this past paced & interesting. I miss the good old days in alot of ways.

PhotoJohn
04-05-2008, 01:07 AM
cross breads often will have physical/health issues. Take the liger for example, largest cat in the world but completely unable to survive on its own.

Phurst
04-05-2008, 02:02 PM
LFS got the first released pair of ORA Snowflake clowns a few weeks ago. $900 for the pair:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e393/embryoguy/weekly07093.jpg

PhotoJohn
04-05-2008, 04:17 PM
900 holy crap that is soooo not worth 900

lReef lKeeper
04-05-2008, 04:55 PM
try contacting Inland Aquatics Homepage (http://www.inlandaquatics.com) as they have been successful at breeding 2 different species. they are calling the Marocelaris or something to that effect.

V
04-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Ive played doctor munro for abit whilst drinking something that resembled stale beer & designed my own clowns, ive called them verscairsisms rinoitis.

*walks off whistling*

http://www.hiland.com/blogs/mward/images/rhino-clown-fish.jpg

Phurst
04-05-2008, 09:56 PM
ZOMG! That's terrifying!

V, crawl back under your can o' Fosters...

V
04-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I cant, i had a mis-fire on my fosters missile defence platform & now all i have left is these chicken chic pea soup cans... What ever that is!

poppin_fresh
04-06-2008, 12:05 AM
My LFS had some ORA Picasso's a few weeks ago and honestly...I though they were ugly. I certainly didn't get why they were so pricey. The weird thing is that they had gotten like 8 in the week before that and they all died with in a couple days. ORA made good on them even though they didn't technically have too...kudos to ORA for that one.

clownfish4me
09-21-2009, 05:28 AM
no word on this site for the clowns or did i miss it?