PDA

View Full Version : need reef giudance

street_fury
04-05-2009, 12:45 AM
whats up reefers,i am new to the game,i am thinkin of getting the jbj 28 gallon nano .ive been fasinated with a reef tank,and now i think i am goin 2 do it.my question is being that i am a new be is maintaining this unit alot of work ?and i have a lil experience with salt water.right now i have a 30 gallon boe front with a pc light...2 tangs,2 clowns,2 damsels,and a 6 line.a bunch of snails and crabs,and like 25 pounds live rocks,protein skimmer and a fluval canister filter.i use R/O water in tank.i added sum polyps and its been about a month and they are still alive.but i kinda like the jbj 28g nano so im thinkin about switching tanks.i need some guidance and i have all the test kits,calcium,phosphate remover,kent marine reef kit,i basically have everything thats needed to start a real reef tank.any suggestions??????canister filter keeps nitrate level high but i will be sellin this tank to get jbj nano..just need 2 be sent on the right path to being successful at keepin a reef tank,,,

Amphibious
04-05-2009, 06:40 PM
OK Lance,

Welcome to TR.

I'd suggest you read three things before you get started.

1. My tank build thread. It's a larger tank but the principle is the same. You don't have to do everything I did but, this thread has been recommended by many TR reefers as a must read. It's long and I suggest you skip through the posts that go off message. Here's the link - Amphibious' 135 gal reef (http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/member-tank-projects/412-amphibious-135-gal-reef.html)

2. The best explanation on how the "cycle" evolves over time. - The Building of a Reef (http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic23945-9-1.aspx) by Eric Borneman. Another must read!

3. My article, "Nine simple Rules" to healthier fish. - Nine simple Rules (http://theculturedreef.com/nine-rules.htm). People have also branded this one a must read.

Dick

stefalopod
04-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi Street Fury, and welcom =)

First thing that jumps out at me is that you really won't be able to keep that number/size of fish in your new reef tank -- you'd never be able to keep your levels where your corals and inverts would be happy.

Amp is right on with his recommendations about building a reef.

Happy reefing!

street_fury
04-05-2009, 11:11 PM
thanks for the input amp,i checked out the links in the thread.appreciate the info.i am goin to order the tank in the morning and will be using rocks from Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock (http://www.marcorocks.com) and some carib sea think arga live sand.and ill use a piece of live rock from my mature tank to seed new rocks. and may be add the damsels to cycle tank.and let it run for a month or more before adding anything in tank..let me know if thats a good idea

street_fury
04-05-2009, 11:12 PM
i will only keep my 6 line and 2 clowns so that should be fine ..wont be too much on bioload

street_fury
04-05-2009, 11:13 PM
thanks alot for the info and welcoming me people

Carty
04-05-2009, 11:47 PM
what kind of tangs?

stefalopod
04-06-2009, 12:43 AM
may be add the damsels to cycle tank.and let it run for a month or more before adding anything in tank..let me know if thats a good idea

You can cycle the tank by adding fish food or a piece of raw table shrim (just pull the shrimp out after a few days). It's very stressful on the damsels to use them to cycle the tank. Plus if they survive, you have damsels that'll eventually get mean and attack things in your tank.

I think LFS's sell damsels to cycle tanks with because people want to see fish swimming around right away, and because they're slightly more likely to survive than other fish, but it's pretty heartless to use them that way.

Set up your new system, add fish food or a shrimp, measure ammonia every day, and after it spikes, when it gets back down to 0, add a fish. It'll be more likely to survive that way.

If you want to be extra careful, after it spikes and goes back down to 0 ammonia, test the water by feeding the tank again. If it doesn't spike again, you know a fish will be safe.

bfessler
04-06-2009, 12:53 AM
JBJ Nano and Red Sea Max

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I am also fairly new to SW but have recently set up 2 nanos. I set up a Red Sea Max 130 for my father and a JBJ Nano 28 G Compact Fluorescent unit for myself.

Both tanks are great and virtually self contained. The Red Sea Max (RSM) is a little more elegant but I like the versatility of the JBJs filter section better for a couple reasons. 1. The filter section is not covered by the hood. This makes it easier for adding equipment like an ATO, Chiller Etc. 2. The Filter section is more customizable. It has a center overflow into a large section that can be used for Mechanical filtration or a small refugium. The JBJ however doesn't come with a Skimmer as standard equipment but can be purchased seperately. The JBJ also does not have as nice of an electrical system or timers for the lights.

The RSM on the other hand comes complete with a timer for the lighting a skimmer and a slick power center that requires only one cord to operate the pumps, Lights and Skimmer. All cords for this equipment are hidden inside the power center making for a clean installation. The cords for the lighting on the JBJ simply stick out of the side of the unit and aren't that attractive. Everything is included except a Chiller. There is little room left in the filter section for any additional equipment. There is however room for a set of hoses to supply outside equipment like a chiller but all external equipment will need to be on one loop.

Bottom line, both units are easy to setup and pack a lot of features into a small package. Go with the RSM if you want a clean HiTech look. Go with the JBJ if you are wanting to customize the tank to your needs.

Hope this helps

Burt

rayme07
04-06-2009, 01:24 AM
You can cycle the tank by adding fish food or a piece of raw table shrim (just pull the shrimp out after a few days). It's very stressful on the damsels to use them to cycle the tank. Plus if they survive, you have damsels that'll eventually get mean and attack things in your tank.

I think LFS's sell damsels to cycle tanks with because people want to see fish swimming around right away, and because they're slightly more likely to survive than other fish, but it's pretty heartless to use them that way.

Set up your new system, add fish food or a shrimp, measure ammonia every day, and after it spikes, when it gets back down to 0, add a fish. It'll be more likely to survive that way.

If you want to be extra careful, after it spikes and goes back down to 0 ammonia, test the water by feeding the tank again. If it doesn't spike again, you know a fish will be safe.

I agree now a days there is no need to put damsels or fish to break in the tank and because they were added first and if they survive anything you add after them might as well say good buy to anything you add into the tank including fish bigger than them. Sometimes the tank can cycle in 24 hours but even then its not good to put anything into the tank. I think it is best to have the tank sit for 3 to 5 weeks and then after test again then if its ok then you can add the clean up crew (CUC). The reason why you should wait that long is just incase there is another spike because I have herd of tanks getting two cycles before.

street_fury
04-06-2009, 01:27 AM
I have 2 yellow tangs

street_fury
04-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Sounds good to me so ill spear the lil damsel and use the food or shrimp. Also in my 30 gallon tank is loaded with bristle worms. I have a really huge piece of indeonesia rock that I want to use in nano,but I don't want any worms in new tank. Is there a way that I can still use that rock?if I remove rock from tank and sit it in da sun for a few days I know everything will die off. But I'm thinking it should grow back slowly when I put it in new tank. Need help with bristle worms. I've read that they are good. Some say bad. And also heard they eat corals. What are your suggestions???

street_fury
04-06-2009, 01:37 AM
I will be getting the 28 gallon nano with everything built in including skimmer and metal halid light

rayme07
04-06-2009, 01:39 AM
I would stick the rock in your QT with your 6 line he should take care of them.:)