PDA

View Full Version : Leak Test

tdkarl
03-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Question, when I leak test a tank does it have to be on the stand or can I just do it on a flat surface? I had someone tell me it has to be the stand. I have leak tested other tanks on my garage floor before, it is even and flat, but they were smaller tanks. My 110 is just larger and more $$$$ to replace if it breaks, Just curious if there is a rule about this...

saltaddict
03-27-2009, 09:06 PM
If you are testing for leaks in the tank itself - the floor is fine. If you are testing your plumbing work then on the stand as it will be when set up.

Skurvey Dog
03-27-2009, 10:54 PM
I agree with you on that one Rhonda. :up: A level concrete surface is awesome because there is no doubt if even one drop has leaked from a tank! So easy to distinguish. Lucky for me when the plumbing needed tweeking..... it was over my sump. :blush:

Good luck with your leak test! It's a necessary evil. Lol

PhotoJohn
03-27-2009, 11:49 PM
I tested my 75 on a bit of plywood

saltaddict
03-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Funny thing about a leak test - you must be able to fill the vessel without running the water down the sides and such otherwise you never know if there is a leak!!

saltaddict
03-28-2009, 08:29 AM
I agree with you on that one Rhonda. :up: A level concrete surface is awesome because there is no doubt if even one drop has leaked from a tank! So easy to distinguish. Lucky for me when the plumbing needed tweeking..... it was over my sump. :blush:

Good luck with your leak test! It's a necessary evil. Lol

Lori - I don't believe we have a level concrete surface anywhere near where I live! Our concrete work is as out of level as the walls in our house! Gotta love the builders.

tdkarl
03-29-2009, 01:32 PM
curious on bulk head connection on the tank, what is the standard everyone uses concerning getting a good tight seal to help ensure no leaks. Does everyone just use the bulk head fittings on the pvc pipes? Or do you use any silicone or something?

saltaddict
03-29-2009, 03:44 PM
I just make sure the tank is very clean where the seals fit to the tank and then I use plumbers tape on the pvc connecting to the bulkhead (threaded bulkheads) so in the event I need to disconnect I can do so without using a hack saw on the pipe.
I personally would not put silicone between the bulkhead and tank.

Pat
03-29-2009, 07:47 PM
i sealed off my bulk head around the rim in and out of the tank with silicone and used plumbers tape on the threded part