PDA

View Full Version : IMAC - 2006 - Chicago

Amphibious
04-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Hey Everyone,

Thought you might like to hear a little about IMAC. I go to these conferences mainly to look for new ideas, innovative new products, meet new people, renew old acquaintances, buy neat corals and clams, and just hang with some really wonderful people. I am not disappointed in this year's show.

I'm in my hotel room with out a usb cable or I would be able to post pictures. That will have to wait until I get home.

The "best" new product IMHO is an awesome new light fixture from PFO Lighting, Inc. It's LED lighting for the coral reef. The first version produces as much light as 250W metal halides with out the heat associated with halides. Cool, huh? I mean literally, cool!!! The fixture uses 40% less energy than MHs, moonlights are included. Only 12V DC in the hood to minimize electrical hazards. You can dial in the exact color light you want from 6.5K to 20K. Control white LED, blue LED and moonlights independently. Built in timer to control sunrise, daylight hours, cloud cover, sunset and moonlights, and more. Oh one more feature you'll be interested in, no lamp replacement for over five years. Is there a drawback? One. The initial cost. I'll know more on Monday when I post pictures. Earliest release date is around July 1st.

I was the first person to order one. Patrick, the owner of PFO had several there that he gave to people, Sanjay Joshi for one, that test reef lighting to be sure these will work for corals. I'm confident enough in what I saw to place the order.

Wow, I just noticed it's midnight and my eyes are playing tricks on me. More when I return home.

Dick

Jimm
04-30-2006, 01:23 AM
That's awesome Dick. I've heard a little about the LED fixtures. Didn't know that you could dial in the temp though. That's SO cool. I'm jealous, wish I was there.

Rob
04-30-2006, 02:53 AM
wow.. that does sound awesome..

i need to get my hands on some of those... :)

V
04-30-2006, 07:40 AM
we have been talking about this subject for alittle while now. im getting excited already.!
all technologies cost alot more at the start of their existance, but once the companies can bring down their costings per unit, and others jump on the band wagon, (do i hear china put in a bid) the price tag will come into its own industry standard . but in the mean time, smokem if u've gottem! im looking forward to see the control settings panel! i do hope they made it look funky.:cool: :cool:

Amphibious
04-30-2006, 08:06 AM
The proto type Pat had here at the show had dimmer switches for each color and the moons. The finished product will have a microprocessor with digital readout programmable via your computer and/or PFO's website. Talk about control. The control and LED readout will be mounted flush into the hood. Patents are pending.

The following is right off PFO"s handout.

"The blue LEDs, white LEDs and moon LEDs, are controlled independently and will be dimmed using Pulse Width Modulation. The control module has a built in timer and microprocessor which controls each group of LEDs independently. With the control module you can dial in the exact color of light ranging from 6.5K to 20K by adjusting the blue LEDs light output."

More later. Got to hit the shower and get to breakfast.

Dick

Rob
04-30-2006, 02:37 PM
i love it..
i think Talkingreef needs to do a long term "demo" of them and see how they work out. :)

V
04-30-2006, 04:55 PM
hehe, like those road test mags, i dont see why not, most the time they get to keep the gizmos they are testing anyways. with the exception of car testers i would imagine! ;)

CarmieJo
04-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Probably need to send a set to NC to see how they function here:D

V
05-01-2006, 03:02 AM
yes of course, location testing, im sure the first batch is for this purpose..... i do believe we have a different climate down here, with an added benifit of durability testing,these units should really be put through the strokes.. if it can withstand bbq grease and spilled beer finger marks all over it, it can withstand abit of salt creap!8O

gwen_o_lyn
05-01-2006, 12:14 PM
So how much we talkin???

Reefbaby
05-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Wow Dick! So that's where you are...was wondering where you'd been hiding! :-)

Show us some pictures as soon as you can! do they have a website?? I'm sure if this is successful, it will be the rage in Europe, as our electricity prices are so high. What kind of wattage are we talking about?

Jimm
05-02-2006, 01:25 AM
http://www.theimac.org/

Looks like they are posting videos to their site. Maybe they are old videos. Something to check out anyway.

Reefbaby
05-02-2006, 05:05 AM
you can also find the info about PFO lighting by going to the exhibitor page. The prices are up as well for the LED system. Pretty cool! Even though they're quite pricey, if you factor in that you wouldn't be exchanging bulbs for approximately 5 years and you'd be saving around 40% on electricity, it doesn't seem so expensive anymore!
......wonder if they're making them for international customers???

Rob
05-02-2006, 10:44 AM
wow... sticker shock...
christi you make a good point there, but idk if i could ever get past the initial cost...lol

Amphibious
05-02-2006, 02:38 PM
gwen_o_lyn,

So how much we talkin??? There pricey, but, any new technology tends to be high in the beginning. I met and talked with the owner and developer of PFO, PatrickOrmiston, who has spent two years developing the technology. Working with LED manufactures to develop the correct wattage and colors. Today, he's leaving to go to China for more business meetings. This guy's developing the future of reef lighting today. Here's a couple of pics of the lamps lit-up.

http://www.theculturedreef.com/Solaris-2.jpg

There's a MH fixture on the left side of the tank. You can see the difference. Now a close-up of one of the banks of LEDs making up one section.

http://www.theculturedreef.com/Solaris-4.jpg

This is awesome stuff for us reefers. These fixtures will save an estimated 40% of your lighting costs. I'm excited about it. The cost?

A single bank fixture is $449.00, 2 bank fixture $799, etc. They are programmable for daylight and night simulation. Pretty cool stuff. Did I mention they generate little or no heat?

Reefbaby

Wow Dick! So that's where you are...was wondering where you'd been hiding! Well, the week before IMAC I entertained my 18 yo granddaughter. You probably read that on my tank thread. What a treat she is.

Jimm, Thanks for that link. I could not find PFOs link to the information that reefbaby talks about though. ?? :(

Reefbaby,

wonder if they're making them for international customers???I'm not sure, but I'll ask, Pat. I ordered the first fixture and he's going to coordinate the finale developments with me as there will be several control choices available.

Hope this helps.

Dick

Reefbaby
05-02-2006, 03:41 PM
I could not find PFOs link to the information that reefbaby talks about though. ??

Hey Dick - go to the IMAC homepage and click on "exhibitors". Follow the list down to "PFO" and then you can click on their homepage (http://www.pfolighting.com/). :-)

Amphibious
05-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Hi Christi,

I went there from the link above before and again now. For the life of me I don't see the PFO banner. But doesn't matter , you provided the link to their web site. Thanks.

That page was printed and handed out at IMAC.

Dick

Jimm
05-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Dick - Are each one of those individual "lights" (the circular blue or white things that look like they plug into the main fixture) an LED with a reflector or a bunch of LEDs bundled together? What's the output of those? ie what kind of corals will it support?

V
05-03-2006, 05:52 AM
ive just been shot in the buttocks by Qupet! the cells are to die for. if they are going to be made in china, im sure we will get them down here, if not, no big stress, a bit of electronics added and they can plug in anywhere in the world

m8298
06-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Dick,

I am very anxious to hear more about how these lights are working out. How hot do they get? Can you "dial in " the spectrum? Come on where's the review????

Rob
06-12-2006, 09:23 PM
i just want to know where Dick is...
i thought he was going to be back a while ago..

DICK!!! we miss you around here!!!!

V
06-13-2006, 06:50 AM
i saw him pop in 1-2nights ago, we are on different time zones, so i ether see all the early birds, or the late setters! i dont know if he left a post though!

Amphibious
06-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Rob, veriann,

Sorry! I'm guilty of a bit of lurking around TR. I did respond to a couple of threads since I returned from Canada a couple of weeks ago. Besides the disaster in my tank while I was gone a close friend of mine came to FL for a visit and that took up a lot of my time. His daughters shared their concern with us about his deteriorating mental state. He's showing signs of dimensia. Even though we had a good time, it was sad to see my friend in this state of mind. To top his vacation off he had a minor health emergency while he was here. So, things have been kind of hectic around home. The adventure of living changes as we age. I'm 68, my friend 65. I don't consider this old and my life is still an adventure. I will continue to do my best to keep it that way until the day I die. My friend has a different opinion based on his past failures. Personally, I don't think he suffers from dimensia at all. I think he's severly depressed about his life. We create our own life day by day by making decisions and our history is but a collection of our decisions. His history is sad and his future questionable. His daughters are like daughters to me and we are in communication regularly about their dad.

m8298,

I too am very anxious about those LED lights. I ordered the first fixture of this type at IMAC, a 250 watt model. It's not due out until July. While on my trip to Canada the president of PFO lighting, Pat, called me and asked if I wanted to wait until September for my light fixture because by then he would be coming out with a 400 watt and because they are infinitly vairiable I could dial down to 250 watts.

I thought about it for a minute and deciced that I would never need 400 watts on my current tank (I'm burning 175s now) so continued with the original order. I haven't heard from Pat since and don't expect to until he needs payment and address to ship.

So, no review yet. But, yes, you will be able to control watage and color temp to your hearts desire. At least that's what I understand. As far as heat goes, the 250 watt at IMAC generated little or no heat.

That's why I ordered one immediately upon realizing the no heat benefit. My halides are cooking my tank. I had to buy a chiller. It helped. Then the weather got hot here in FL. Added a room air conditioner so we didn't have to cool the whole house. My energy bill hit $300 last month, yiekes!!! The new fixtures are purported to burn 40% less energy halides. GOOD BYE HALIDES!!! The down side is the cost. My 72" fixture is $2,000 retail. OUCH! But will save money in the long run with energy savings and the fact that LED lights will last ten years or more.

It's the light of the future. As soon as they are available to the public you will find them on my website. Discounted to TR members, of course.

Dick

fat walrus
06-13-2006, 10:12 PM
welcome back Amphibious. i saw you pop in a few times and was disappointed to find no posts frm you. i wish your friend the best, he and his daughters are fotunate to have a friend like you. come back soon.

CarmieJo
06-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Dick,

It is good to hear from you! I've missed you. I am a believer that your attitude effects all facets of your life. Best wishes to your friend.

V
06-14-2006, 04:01 AM
a coke & a smile fixes all Amp!
sad story when its someone close to u. hope the outlook improves.
sorry to hear abut your loss as well!

on the lighter side:agree: no pun intended<<<yeah right!lol
those LEDs are something, $2000 grand is abit expensive, but really, its a drop in the ocean to the money we spend. i worked it out last year that i have spent ball park figure about $15000 on the hobby already!, & since closing everthing down, selling off stuff,& a few expensive losses here & there, ive not much to show where that money went right now, except the pocket of knowledge inside my brain! thats worth something!

i think i will consider one of these lights for the next big tank. cut the alchole & the car mags out for 2 months and it would almost pay for itself...lol

Amphibious
06-14-2006, 09:35 AM
fat walrus,

Thanks!

CarmieJo,

Thanks! I too believe our attitude effects our life in profound ways and if your are not aware or don't believe it, a negative attitude will lead you down a perilous road. It even leads to ill health.

veriann,

Thanks! I know $2000 is a lot for those LED light fixtures but, when you consider the 72" fixture will have a minimum of 100 LED lights (4 banks of 25 LEDs, Pat is talking about making mine 5 banks of 25) complete with computer control dimming and color temp, they are pretty advanced stuff. Plus cut our energy consumption by 40% and bulb replacement after ten years not ten months. They are pretty cool! Pun intended because they burn without heat. :rotfl:

Dick

Rob
06-14-2006, 10:36 AM
well they do sound promising..
i cant wait to see how well they work.

i definatly cant afford to be an early adopter, but maybe in the future i will get the chance to try them out..

BTW, its great to have you back.. :)

V
06-14-2006, 11:10 AM
dont worry Amp, $2000 is nothing for me,we've got a few cell phone buisnesses,plus im pay master for a huge transport company, my biggest hurdle is the wife! lol but i know new technologies when i see them, & this one will push the frontiers of our field! im interested to the max!

V
06-14-2006, 11:13 AM
& rob, the way TR's going, the plan is make u the founder of the biggest Reef resource in the world! just remember, irodium membership for the seasoned but not stired! lol

fat walrus
06-14-2006, 08:31 PM
dont worry Amp, $2000 is nothing for me,we've got a few cell phone buisnesses,plus im pay master for a huge transport company, my biggest hurdle is the wife! lol but i know new technologies when i see them, & this one will push the frontiers of our field! im interested to the max!
all hail VERIANN THE SALINATOR, MASTER OF CELL PHONES, RULER OF HIS OWN DESTINY, REEFER SUPREMUS!

walruses welcome any handouts.:D

V
06-15-2006, 02:41 AM
that was a rather unclassy act posting that post last night,after reading it again it sounded very,"well look what i have type conversation" when i have a few drinks i seem to become alot more dirrect! i will try not to do that again! very rude of me!

fat walrus
06-15-2006, 03:12 AM
that was a rather unclassy act posting that post last night,after reading it again it sounded very,"well look what i have type conversation" when i have a few drinks i seem to become alot more dirrect! i will try not to do that again! very rude of me!
it was all in jest. blame it on FOSTERS. i like a friend i can jib-jab with.

fat walrus
06-15-2006, 03:19 AM
oh, i was messing around too with the salute. veriann's knowledge and fun is one reason i participate.

and walruses are still looking out for handouts.

V
06-15-2006, 03:27 AM
no free rides here buddy, on a $150buisness plan locked in for fifty billion years i might consider giving ummmm, here u go a motorola leather case to fit your nokia, dont worry if its abit loose, thats the new fashion:p

fat walrus
06-15-2006, 03:34 AM
no free rides here buddy, on a $150buisness plan locked in for fifty billion years i might consider giving ummmm, here u go a motorola leather case to fit your nokia, dont worry if its abit loose, thats the new fashion:p
its a conspiracy i tell you. how many people have even gotten 2 cell phones in a row that uses the same charger? i want a leather case made of leather please.

CarmieJo
06-15-2006, 10:44 PM
its a conspiracy i tell you. how many people have even gotten 2 cell phones in a row that uses the same charger? i want a leather case made of leather please.

Even within the same brand they sometimes don't fit. That is just stupid!

gwen_o_lyn
06-15-2006, 10:57 PM
dont worry Amp, $2000 is nothing for me,

I think TR is still looking for sponsors!! :D Just imagine your bushman banner flashing across the TR homepage!!

Welcome back Dick- we sure did miss ya!! Just wasn't the same around here without you!! :no:

fat walrus
06-16-2006, 02:15 AM
I think TR is still looking for sponsors!! :D Just imagine your bushman banner flashing across the TR homepage!!

a banner showing a handout to walruses will melt the hearts of anyone:D

V
06-16-2006, 07:17 AM
i had a banner made, i said to them, make walrus part of the club, they came back with a pic of me holding a club! old blubber was portrayed catapilla running with his extra charger!

i was thinking of sponsoring, its all about benifical exposure for the sponsor & paying for overheads on robs side!
if u guys were in australia, it would be a different story!
but business is business! it has to be a justerfied expense!

but Q try not to bring up my "its nothing comment" please, i didn't mean to sound like such a snob, cause im far from it, more towards a slob! lol

Amphibious
06-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks, Gwenn! I think my life is returning to a somewhat more normal pace now.

Reefbaby
06-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Hey V - Glad to see you're a CM now! :D

V
06-19-2006, 05:31 PM
hehe, welcome back RB hows Boulder town?
yes a CM now, linking it to a spending account is like pulling teeth, its almost worth using credit if its faster(which i wont) no joke that clearing phase took about 2 weeks! im used to a touch of a botton, or a sign of a pen and its transfered instantly. im not overly joyas with paypal doing it the way i just did!

pham411
06-19-2006, 07:17 PM
SICK!!!! i hope its just as good as MH. i have my doubts though but im crossing my fingers

Amphibious
06-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Reefbaby

Hey V - Glad to see you're a CM now!Hmm, must be something lost in the translation here. CM - ???

pham411

SICK!!!! i hope its just as good as MH. i have my doubts though but I'm crossing my fingersNot sure what is "SICK" but the rest of your post must be about the new LED light fixtures.

I'm sure you guys wonder where I am sometimes. When I'm about to promote a new product I have to program it into my website and that takes me an enormous amount of time. Plus, when I' been staring at this screen for days, I just don't take much time to post. I have the LED scoop direct from the president of PFO Lighting.

Rather than discus them here, I'll post a link to my website and then take ???s here and do my best to answer them.

http://www.theculturedreef.com/pfo.htm

This will take you to the introduction of PFO's new Solaris LED Illumination System. Their cool, totally and infinitely adjustable, YES, they grow corals, they are color temp adjustable from 6.5K to 22K, will do sun up, mid day, sun down, cloudy day, moon light, etc. All that and expensive too. More expensive than I first reported.

My fixture, originally a 72" with 4 or 5 banks of 25 LEDs at $2000 for 4 banks to $2300 for 5 banks of LEDs is now $2972 for 6 banks of 25 LEDs. The LEDs are 3 watt and have a special lens over them to direct the light nearly straight down. The benefits are 50,000 hour lamp life, 40% reduction in energy usage and much more. If I keep telling you things here you won't have to go to my website. Go to my website! Be sure to click the links just above the PFO logo banner. Suggested retail is there too. We discount all our products.

Bring on the ???s Please let me know if there are any broken links, thanks.

Dick

CarmieJo
06-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Dick,

The links I've clicked seem OK but the PTO banner seems on my browser (Firefox) to be pushed up and to the right. It starts just under the line that reads "We are proud to be one of the first on-line retailers to bring you the most exciting news in reef aquarium" and is right justified.

Rob
06-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Hmm, must be something lost in the translation here. CM - ???

CM=Contributing Member
:)

Not sure what is "SICK"
Sick!! = Awesome, cool, neat
:)

Rob
06-20-2006, 12:29 AM
maybe a new thread under lighting would be a great place to field questions about these new lights...

Reefbaby
06-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi Dick - I was giving Veriann a hard time about taking so long to become a "Contributing Member" - CM!! :D

I went to your webpage, but didn't find the questions and answers about the PFO lighting. Have you not started it yet?

Amphibious
06-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Hi Christi,

Got you on the "CM" thing.

Sorry about not finding the Q&A page. Here's a direct link - http://www.theculturedreef.com/faq.htm

I've had to work out some kinks in my programming and try to spend some quality time with Sue. She rarely gets a day off and we are in the middle of a two day off period. Today we just enjoyed each other's company hiding from the world. This late after noon we spent in the pool, au-natural, and had supper on the pool deck. It was very nice.

Dick

CarmieJo
06-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Hi Dick,

The pfo page is displaying correctly in my browser now.

Amphibious
06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi Carmie,

Thanks for the heads-up on the pfo page. I found the problem and I'm glad it works now.

Hugs - http://www.theculturedreef.com/01F0B5~1.GIF

Reefbaby
06-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks Dick for the link!

A. The Solaris will be less than a metal halide system in under a year. The monthly energy and lamp replacement savings can often pay for the complete price of the fixture in two to three years. By waiting, all you are doing is paying higher electricity bills and paying for more replacement bulbs.
Do you think the prices will really come down in the near future?

V
06-23-2006, 12:11 PM
two factors here, the concepts going to produce hybrids from inevitable others at some stage!
& costing will come down, heck LED tech is not really that expensive now, let along in a year! asia will be having a field day with this stuff!

mental note: learn to spell veriann

Rob
06-23-2006, 12:18 PM
well i know i will be keeping an eye on them.
cant afford them now, but they do sound interesting, and much more functional.

cant wait for the price to come down.. :)

V
06-23-2006, 12:31 PM
chuft is a word im looking for! the evolution has started, when others spit it after previous purchases its going to be a revolution!

Amphibious
06-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Do you think the prices will really come down in the near future?I think they will come down some. How quickly I'm not sure. When you think of the energy cost savings, no bulb replacement, no need for a chiller (due to MH heat), the Solaris unit can pay for itself in less than two years. That's really good news to reefers. The key will be getting units into the hands of reefers and then reporting results on forums such as TR. You know I'll be one to report.

The last three months energy bills for our whole house were, $280, $284 and $290 respectively. They are going in the wrong direction. I'm most anxious for my Solaris unit to get here so I can actually experience the light output, heat generation (or lack there of), programmability, coral growth, and checking for energy savings. If I can turn off the chiller and maintain desirable temperature in the tank that alone will save me money. Then, the saving of up to 40% on the light energy consumption will further reduce my costs. The Solaris units are worth every penny to me. Of course time will tell. I've always been a gambler (NOT AT CASINOS) and love to be the first on the block with the newest/latest thing-a-ma-gig. When I buy my trucks they are loaded to the hilt with goodies. Anyway, the Solaris lights are the wave of the future, IMHO. Stay tuned.

The first production run is going on right now, shipment due out July 31st. If anyone is interested in a discount, PM me to find out how.

I'll do what I can to help.

Dick

gwen_o_lyn
07-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Dick- any word yet on when you will be getting the lights?

Rob
07-11-2006, 04:51 PM
i think in another post he said end of this month

Amphibious
07-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Hey Gwenn,

I'm sorry the notification of your post came in with a bunch while I was out today and I just found it.

I e-mailed Pat at PFO and he said they are aiming for July 31 but, it may be the first week in August. I have sold a couple of fixtures. I'll be posting pics as soon as it comes in.

Dick

V
07-12-2006, 08:53 AM
i'll put an order in next year sometime once i kick start my project :fingers:.
i dont mind going though u Amp cause at least i feel i can trust u. but im annoyed with the fact we dont have that calabar conference down here!

Amphibious
07-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Hey V,

I mean't to respond to this post yesterday. Missed it some how. What project are you working on?

We're very lucky to have the number of conferences we have here in America. America, it's the land of the free, until you want to buy something. :agree:

There's IMAC in Chicago each April, MACNA in various cities in Sept, Saltwater U in Georgia, (I've got to get to that one. Gwenn and I are going to squeeze each other a good one.) Now, there are a couple of serious frag swaps on the West coast, one in MI. These are complete with speakers, vender displays, some have banquets. There poping up everywhere. It's a good thing to because a lot of newbies go to them and learn. It's too bad there's not at least one Down Under.

I'll be happy to supply you with a Solaris LED light unit whenever you need it. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Dick

V
07-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Amp ive been storing up some ideas for awhile, but they have to wait till the misses finds a new house she's happy with! because i cant expand anymore here. ive already got her on my back about my current setup taking up the room & my constant desire to expand! but i do know next house im going to go for it big time, a big tank connected to 1 or 2 summer 1000ltr pools should be enough.
just going to add as i can i guess!

Amphibious
07-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Well V, it's very important to keep the misses happy. that should be priority numero uno in every mans life!!! Otherwise it's - :madmad: which leads to :slap: which is not good.

But your project sounds very interesting. Keep us informed and if I can be of any help, just ask.

V
07-13-2006, 09:07 AM
thanks Amp, & dont worry, i put u in my support network yonks ago! hehe wether u new about it or not! :|

Amphibious
07-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Didn't know. Amp feels honored to be there.

V
07-13-2006, 09:51 AM
thats great, it'll be like the blind leading the blind!:geef: looking forward to it!