PDA

View Full Version : What is this? Please help!

amy
03-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Could someone please help in telling me what this is? Obviously I am new at this.....had our tank going now for 5 or so months. Has done great. No losses.........so far. Anyway, my husband brought this home this past saturday. He just got it cause it looked "cool" and has no clue what it is. The place he bought it from also sold him frozen brine shrimp to feed it. It moves all around on the rocks. There were 6 of them on this piece of rock he bought. 4 of them are still in the same spot, but 2 of them have been traveling around on the nearby rocks. I would just like to know what is is. Is it good or bad? Thank you in advance. I hope I attach the picture correctly.......thanks again.

Phurst
03-18-2009, 08:47 PM
They're anemones. Almost certainly majanos. Generaly considered a pest due to the fact that they CAN multiply quickly (although not as quickly as aptasia) and will sting any corals they come in contact with. Most people actively try to remove them from their tanks, which can be quite a battle since they move and reproduce. I say most, because there certainly are people out there who like them. Particularly the "tulip" variety with it's green body and red tentacle tips.

I won't go so far as to say tour LFS took advantage of you, since some people do want these guys, but I've never seen any LFS try to actualy sell them before.

wowsieskewlreef
03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
i SUGGEST YOU JUST TRY TAKING OUT THE LIVE ROCK( IF YOU DON'T HAVE OTHER CORALS ) 1)INJECT SOMETHING INTO IT( I've HEARD IT FROM OTHER WEBSITES) or 2) Boil it, remove anything of the leftover of the anemone. Sorry, caps lock was on!

amy
03-18-2009, 10:01 PM
I had a bad feeling that they were not a good thing. they have not multiplied as of yet. I plan to take the rock that they are on - which is how we bought them - and return it to the store. I am extremely disappointed. We bought this from an actual "fish" store. Not just petco or some big chain pet store. I am embarrassed to even say how much we paid for that small piece of live rock, it was so expensive because they said it had 6 of those things on it. Thanks so much for the advice. I haven't posted much here, but have read alot of others' posts and I knew someone here would have the correct answer for me. I guess its true what they say about learning from your mistakes. I'm sure we will never buy anything again without knowing for certain what it is and doing a bit of research on it first. Thanks again.

Phurst
03-18-2009, 10:06 PM
No worries. Certainly not the worst thing you could have put in there :D

rayme07
03-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi amy welocome to TR.

I would defiantly take them back to the store and raise He!! and demand money back so that way you dont have to kill them and get your money back. I am extremely disappointed at the LFS owner for selling you that. :)

wowsieskewlreef
03-18-2009, 10:36 PM
They shouldn't have! as rayme said!

CarmieJo
03-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Rrrrr! That makes me mad!

amy
03-19-2009, 12:55 AM
OK, so I removed the rock that they were on. And one was actually on a crabs shell so I removed that crab as well. Did this fix the problem? They had only been in there since Saturday. Or is it something that can still start to grow in there now? We are definately going to take them back, even if they will only give us store credit at least it won't be a complete waste, although it sort of makes me not want to buy from there again. But being in the area we are in there isn't much choice. It's either that or petco. Anyway, So far in our tank we have fish (2 clowns, 1 angel fish, and 4 damsels) live rock and some xenia coral. We are looking for something new to add that will be compatible with what is in there already and has some color to it. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have a 150 gal tank. Thanks.

PhotoJohn
03-19-2009, 04:16 AM
remove the damsels before they become the tyrants of the tank. They will get big and mean. Also if you are planning to have a reef tank most angels are not "reef safe"

Phurst
03-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Assuming you got them all out, you should be fine. What size tank do you have and what kind of lighting? Once we know, maybe we can help you pick some new corals.

Amphibious
03-19-2009, 10:11 AM
although it sort of makes me not want to buy from there again. But being in the area we are in there isn't much choice.

We know the feeling Amy. Many, in fact most, LFSs leave MUCH to be desired. Here is the best advice I can give you, seeing you don't have much choice. Ask questions here on TR before you buy anything. It may seem like a pain or that you will be bothering us BUT, you will be doing yourself a big favor and NOT bothering us at all. We have no hidden agenda. No reason to lead you astray. It's why this forum exists.

One more thing, I'd like you to read my article on buying and keeping healthy fish - Nine Simple Rules (http://theculturedreef.com/nine-rules.htm)

Thanks,

Dick

amy
03-19-2009, 01:21 PM
I have just read the article you had suggested. What great information. Thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely take that advice and use it every time I make a purchase from now on. Thanks again.

JustDavidP
03-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Those aren't Mojano....

Phurst
03-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I wasn't 100% sure from that angle either. Any guess as to what they are?

JustDavidP
03-19-2009, 01:58 PM
No doubt it is an anemone.. but Mojano do not have a healthy, robust foot like that. Nor do you see much of their foot at all. They stay tight to the substrate. I've never seen one that is that large, or has green on the foot either. The color ISN'T going to help us, it seems "drab brown" like a lot of stuff at the LFS.

The only person who may have a clue is the retailer, who has to have SOME idea where it came from. Could be anything from small LTA's, to a Condylactis to a BTA that is browning and not showing a bubbled tip. There are sooo many differing anemone.

Again, ask the LFS where they got the shipment from.. that would reduce the goose chase some.

D

amy
03-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Hmmm......ok, so I called the fish store, I asked him if he could tell me what these were called and he asked me to hold on and I heard him on the phone with someone else asking what they were called. He came back and told me that he didn't know what they were but that they were a subspecies of bubble tip anemones. I decided to put them back in. Whether that is right or wrong i guess I will find out. Anyway, here is another picture from a different angle and they are kind of shrunk down. they are more green when they are shrunk down. Anyway..........what do you think? Are they OK to be in the tank?

rayme07
03-19-2009, 06:42 PM
I would just leave them in the tank.From the new pics you gave us they do look like little GBTA's.

wowsieskewlreef
03-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Well, there is only one way of finding out, do some more research on the anemone!

Amphibious
03-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Anyway..........what do you think? Are they OK to be in the tank?

Yes, with caution for now. I don't think they are majano anemones. Doing Internet research on them would be futile at best because there are thousands of anemones and they tend to vary greatly in shape, size and color. Simply watch them and note any growth in numbers. Majanos will multiply rapidly in six months or so. for now, enjoy them.

Thanks, glad you got some good out of my article.

Dick