PDA

View Full Version : New 72 bowfront needs light

DCisGnar
03-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Howdy!

I just got myself a new 72 gal bowfront and I would like to make it a reef. Ive been researching and I would like to go with t5s because I dont have money for lights and a chiller:p

I want to have sps and I dont have a canopy so retrofit may be out as well as MH.
Does anyone know if Tek 4x59 or Nova Extreme pro 6x59 t5ho would be sufficient for sps and clams? Or am I stuck with needing MH and a chiller? Any other ideas possibly?

Thanks
Blaine

DCisGnar
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
I did a little more research and found Aquactinic TX5, 5x54 watt t5 which fits perfectly on the bowfront! Wewt! Does anyone know if this setup will be able to grow sps and clams? Thanks!

ryandlf
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't see why not...depth is going to be more of an issue, especially on the bowfront. I would go for as many T5's as you can possibly fit. If its between 4 and 6, go for the 6...

Before I added a second set of t5's to my bowfront, I could only grow things about half way up in the tank, now with the extra light (I have 4 T5's over a 55 Bowfront) I seem to be quite sucessfull at finding homes for some coral even down on the substrate. Just make sure you test things out first, maybe don't start with the most expensive SPS and just see how it does.

DCisGnar
03-17-2009, 10:18 PM
What kind of t5s? I think I'm sold on this tx5 because they have great reflectors and it's only 10 inches wide, where as the 6 bulb fixtures are all around 14-15 inches which would hang off the corners of the tank