PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer on a QT tank

tdkarl
03-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Does anyone do this or think it would be beneficial? Just curious....

Amphibious
03-13-2009, 09:14 AM
This should go without saying. A QT tank should be set up with the necessary "tools" to kill pathogens. It's best to kill pathogens without chemicals when possible. A UV is an indispensable "tool" to meet that end. Chemicals should be used as a last resort!

Dick

tdkarl
03-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks Dick, I wasnt sure if there were any negative effects of a UV sterilizer on a QT tank. For example, you dont want a skimmer on a QT, at least from my knowledge because it can remove the chemicals used "if needed" to treat disease during the QT process. Wanted to be sure a it wasnt the same situ with a UV.

CarmieJo
03-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Tony a UV sterilizer won't take out antibiotics or other chemicals like that. It is very beneficial and would serve as an adjunct to a drug therapy.

tdkarl
03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
do you think the inexpensive ones are just as good as the pricey ones? Its a fairly old technology so I wasn't sure if anyone offered one that is good quality but lower in price. I certainly am not into cutting corners with cheap stuff but it would be nice to get one at a fair price since I have blown my cash on my tank, canopy and killer MH's.

Hey check it out, I have moved up to a insightful reefer, that's about right, lol.

CarmieJo
03-13-2009, 11:20 PM
I would think that they all pretty much work the same.

tdkarl
03-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Now I have heard people run a UV on their display tank also, any suggestions on wattage per gallon? Is it any different since there are corals? Less watts per gallon compared to a fish only tank?

Amphibious
03-16-2009, 08:14 AM
do you think the inexpensive ones are just as good as the pricey ones? Its a fairly old technology so I wasn't sure if anyone offered one that is good quality but lower in price. I certainly am not into cutting corners with cheap stuff but it would be nice to get one at a fair price since I have blown my cash on my tank, canopy and killer MH's.

Hey check it out, I have moved up to a insightful reefer, that's about right, lol.

Good quality and lower price are like oil and water, they don't mix. The old adage, "you get what you pay for", comes into play. The most common element in cheap or expensive UVs is the bulb. Not much difference there. The differences will be in material, construction, design and features.

Two things to look for and worth paying more for are ease of removing the bulb for replacement and having a wiper arm. The first should be easy to judge. The wiper arm is a feature that with one or two strokes a month wipes algae growth off the quartz sleeve keeping your UV operating at peek killing capacity.

Now I have heard people run a UV on their display tank also, any suggestions on wattage per gallon? Is it any different since there are corals? Less watts per gallon compared to a fish only tank?

I think we've had this discussion before. Look for a UV rated for your size system and go at least ONE size larger. It makes NO difference that you have corals because the ONLY thing effected by the UV is in the water that passes through the UV chamber. Once the water leaves the UV chamber it is just water. The UV adds nothing to the water so there can be NO harm to anything in the system.

In anticipation of someone bringing the old worn out questions, "Doesn't UV kill good bacteria too?" and "Won't a UV kill off my biological filtration in my system?" The answer to both of those URBAN LEGENDS is YES and NO respectively.

Dick