PDA

View Full Version : Backgrounds?

Allowin
03-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I remember either listening to a podcast or reading about backgrounds but I can't find the thread anywhere.

I know the biggest part was a swing in judgment in painting the back wall of your aquarium. The lighting suffered a drastic drop in output through the aquarium with a painted back. That using a removable background was best.

So what I want to know is if the commercial backgrounds offered that you more or less "apply" to the outside of the back wall does the same thing as painting the back wall? I have found a few places that sell a background that comes with a solution to paste the background to the outside of the back wall. Will I loose light output doing this? Is it almost the same as painting it? I've spent about 3 days (12-13 hours total) removing the ugly blue paint from the back of my tank and I'm about ready to set her up on the stand and start my plumbing. I want to get the back finished before I ever think about getting it lifted up on the stand for it's final assembly, FW leak test and final FW copper test.

rayme07
03-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I wonder if using aluminum foil for the background will give you more or less light output. Its certainly cheap. :D

marlin
03-03-2009, 08:11 PM
I have heard of faom backgrounds. You can put corals right on the back. It was on reef central. I think that is what I am doing. Reef Central Online Community - The Foam/rock Projects Here Thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1438807)

ryandlf
03-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Friggin' awesome! Someone give us a link to where we can buy one of these.

CarmieJo
03-04-2009, 01:58 AM
This was in Liquid Medium ezine. The paste on backgrounds work the same a paint. Here is the link Liquid Medium Marine Aquarist's Magazine - July 2008 (http://www.liquid-medium.com/07_08_1_2.html).

boyesreef
03-04-2009, 09:31 AM
i took a piece or black suede and glued it to the top and bottom tank frames. it keeps the backing off the glass, and the natural grain in the leather give it a stone appearence.