PDA

View Full Version : T5 enquiry

Amphibious
02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Since my favorite lights are no longer available (Solaris), I'm looking into T5 lighting for my new 72" x 24" - 220 build.

Never having looked into T5s, I'm interested in input from actual users. I'm interested in knowing bulb choices, fixture manufacturers, number of bulbs across the 24". I know I need individual reflectors.

Actual photos of your tank would be appreciated along with the explanation of the T5 fixture. Thanks.

This will be mounted in a 12" tall canopy.

Dick

PhotoJohn
02-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I dont have extensive experience but I use supplemental t5s. I think it is best to fit as many t5s as you can into your tank, with individual reflectors. I would guess you could get 6-8. Most people i know of mix and match their bulbs, some actinic, some 10k, some 20k, and a few people even use 6k. I read corals/all photosynthetic animals and plants grow best at 6k but i dont know how valid that is. I would suggest making your own lighting system. Wiring t5's is very easy with a retro kit, making the mounting system is the hard part. I did not put my lights on a vertical light rail system...thingie. This means my lights cant be raised or lowered, it is a major hassle because my T5s are about 1-2" from the waters surface! If i need to get into my tank for just about anything (other than feeding) i have to take the hood off. I am guessing you are in and out of your tank almost daily and having to remove the hood each time could drive one crazy. So making a pulley/rail system to raise your lights from the waters surface to the top of the hood could be advantageous. You could probably even make the light rails/brackets from pvc, its light weight and i know you would get a kick out of the challenge! I would suggest getting your t5s as close to the waters surface as possible. There is a principle to light that goes something like this: every time you double the distance from a subject the light is half as strong. So at 5' if the light is at a brightness of lets say 100 somethings then at 10' it would be 50 somethings, and at 2.5' it would be 200 somethings...does that make since? Thus, the closer the t5s are to the water the brighter the light getting into the water. Are you planning on turning the 125 into a fuge or frag tank?

Pat
02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
i would go with the TEK they have a really good reputation and they have individual reflectors and power cords
only thing i dont thnk they have is moon lights but im not sure

saltaddict
02-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Dick,
Look at this retro:

buildyouraquarium.com - Aquarium Lights, Metal Halides, T5 HO Solar Metal, Halide Retro, Retro Fits, Power Compacts aquarium lighting,aquarium light,aquarium lights reef aquarium lighting,marine aquarium lighting,metal halide aquarium lighting,saltwa (http://buildyouraquarium.com)

72'' Aquarium Light T5 HO 12 x 80 Moon Lunar

You can mount it in canopy, hang it or sit it on top.

PhotoJohn
02-27-2009, 12:48 AM
here is a very cool moon light system
Moon Controller System (http://fishbowl-innovations.com/product/controller)

Dragonwolf
02-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Dick, I've been using T5HO for about 1 year now after I got rid of my CF. They really do the job. Also I have a canopy and needed lights that would fit under the canopy and not start the darn thing on fire. Here's a pic of the T5's I use (stolen off the net). I like them because they have their own timers and the fans blow out the rear of the fixture instead of the sides. They come with slimpac bulbs but I have since changed them to ATI and Giesemann bulbs much to the happiness of my critters. My BTA is happy under them and he's about halfway down on my 24" deap tank.

Dragonwolf
02-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Since we're on this subject---are T5 HO lights to powerful for my 30g fuge? They really light up the tank, seems almost to much, I could change them to my old CF. Yes? No?

PhotoJohn
02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
not to strong, most people just dont want to put expensive lights in a sump

Dragonwolf
02-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks--my fuge is a side by side on display next to the "mother" tank. It has a matching stand and canopy so I want it to look good. I just don't want to cook the macro and feather dusters that are in it.

Carty
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Hey Dick,

I use the TEK T5 system..

Few things, I get great par for starters.. anyone who says you can't grow SPS with T5's has obviously never tried.. I got some SPS and put them at the top of my tank because thats what everyone says.. well, after frying them for about a week, they are now happily growing at about 15" deep (about halfway down) Id be confident in putting a clam on the sandbed

as far as how many, you could easily fit 8 T5's if not more.. the TEK 8 bulb system is 19" wide, and thats with about an inch on each side of the fixture...

for bulb selection.. color preference is really up to you, but as far as company, I would use ATI and Geissman

at the moment Im using geissmen actinic, 10k, 10k, ATI actinic

photo's are in my build thread

Amphibious
02-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Tomorrow, I'll have time to actually read them, check out the links and I'll get back with you. Busy, busy, busy.

Thanks again,

dick

FishFinder
02-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Dick, I use a 48" Current USA Nova Extreme Pro on my 125G mixed reef and I've been able to keep any coral. I have been growing Acros, Digi's, Montipora caps, LPS and zoanthids.

Nova Extreme Pro | Current What's Next (http://www.current-usa.com/nova_extreme_pro)

The thing I like most about the T5s is cost. I don't need to run a chiller and my electric bill is half of what is was when I had MH lighting.

CarmieJo
02-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Hey Crawford,

The TEK's have individual reflectors, right? Is it the 24" fixture? What par are you getting out of that bulb combo?

Carty
02-28-2009, 02:07 AM
I have the 4 bulb 24" TEK

Yes it has individual reflectors, very nice ones I might add.. with this combo im getting roughly 220 at the sand bed 27" down