PDA

View Full Version : Snails

tracytracy
02-21-2009, 05:29 PM
I started my tank and I am in the middle of the cycle things are starting to come alive I have figured out what most of the creatures are today when looking at my tank I noticed that there are some tiny snails in my tank they are a light greenish yellow color. Are they good or bad for my tank?

Phurst
02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
It's hard to tell without a pic. The vast majority of snails are good though.

tracytracy
02-21-2009, 05:45 PM
lol thanks Phurst I am gonna try and get a picture of them and I still can't capture that spongy looking creature any idea what it may be? It looks like a dirty sponge about the size of a small pea.

Phurst
02-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Nothing comes immediately to mind that would be mobile.

tracytracy
02-21-2009, 06:30 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/tracyb200/002-9.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/tracyb200/003-10.jpg

Phurst
02-21-2009, 06:36 PM
The thing right in the center of the 2nd picture appears to be an aptasia anemone. Check Google Image Search and compare what you find with what's in your tank, but that's what it looks like to me. If it is an aptasia, you'll want to get it out ASAP.

As for the snail, I'm sorry, but I can't tell anything from that pic.

tracytracy
02-21-2009, 08:12 PM
The thing right in the center of the 2nd picture appears to be an aptasia anemone. Check Google Image Search and compare what you find with what's in your tank, but that's what it looks like to me. If it is an aptasia, you'll want to get it out ASAP.

As for the snail, I'm sorry, but I can't tell anything from that pic.

It's almost too small to tell I think that might be it though.

Dragonwolf
02-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Yep--aptasia. Everyone says they are sooooo bad, BUT, They do some good things and they are kinda pretty. Ya just don't want them near any coral. I grow them in my 'fuge. Ya should have seen the look on the LFS owners face when I told him to scrape off a bunch of aptasia to take home--LOL. I have CBB to take care of any that makes its way to the main DT.