PDA

View Full Version : White worm?

jonathanw
02-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Saw something new in my tank the other day. At first I thought it was a shell that something had made because it is pure white. But then I found that it was moving. In the morning it was up on the mushrooms but doesn't seem to be eating them. By afternoon it had moved down to some macroalgae.

It is very small and hard to take a good picture of, basically an elongated blob with what looks like two horns on the top of its head and a mouth. Pure white. Thought it might be a nudibranch but no other markings or fancy stuff.

In the picture it is the white blob under the mushrooms.

Seahorsedreams
02-20-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't see any mushrooms in that picture. What you are describing sounds like either a nudi or a stomatella... but I would go with nudi.

jonathanw
02-20-2009, 08:48 PM
What would you identify those corals as? I am in Japan and often get confused between the different names. They were calling them shrooms in Japanese. This was a very small frag that was not doing well and I am trying to nurse back to health. It has developed many new sprouts and seems to be recovering.

Seahorsedreams
02-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Japan! Welcome!

Those are from the family Zoanthidae ... probably a palythoa. I wasn't sure if you had up the wrong picture or not is why I mentioned it. I'm sure our common names are indeed quite different... look forward to learning some of the differences. But they are a good critter with the same requirements of what we call mushrooms.

jonathanw
02-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Palythoa it is. I think I did get confused between button and mushroom. Thanks. I will try to get a better shot of the little white critter.

Skurvey Dog
02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Hello Jonathan! Thanks for posting the pic with your question, but it is a little difficult to make out the creature you are talking about. There are so many different life forms that it's hard for someone to ID w/o a clear shot.

On a side note, seems like I heard that it is very difficult to find marine hobby supplies and livestock in Japan. Was that just due to a person's location, or do you find it true also? Do you find it a challenge to find everything that you need or would like to purchase? Just curious. :heart:

jonathanw
03-02-2009, 04:46 AM
Here are a couple of better shots of this critter. It is pretty small but seems to be enjoying my tank. Or I guess his tank.

Japan has quite a few good stores, but it can be hard to figure out what they mean by certain names of things. It can also be difficult to ask questions when I get in trouble. So it is nice to have your all to fall back on.

Jonathan

CarmieJo
03-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Pix are still a little blurry but I would go with a nudi of some sort.

rayme07
03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree with Carmie some type of nudi.