PDA

View Full Version : Need Recomendation for Magnesium Additive.

Jasonanatal
02-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Hello everone, I'm currently in the market for a new Magnesium additive for my 120 gallon Reef Aquarium. I unfortunately don't have very much experience with various chemicals since I have stuck with Kent Tech-M and would like to move away from the brand for no better reason then to find something better. I'm concerned with quality, potency of the dosage and price. What would you recommend? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Phurst
02-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Make your own

Bulk Reef Supply - Bulk Reef Supply (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Calcium,-Alkalinity-&-Magnesium-Magnesium/c1_4/index.html)

I use their stuff and am quite happy with it.

Amphibious
02-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I could make my own and save some money,as Phurst suggests but, I have enough other reef related duties to take care of, I don't want to become a chemist, too.

Ocean's Blend has been my choice for the last 9 years or so. It is of the highest quality, mixed full strength, made by a hobbyist for hobbyists. As most of you know I sell only products that I use, or fully trust, on my web site. I could choose any of brand, Ocean's Blend's additives are the best quality of the pre-mixed additives and the only brand I use and recommend.

Check them out here - Ocean's Blend Additives (http://theculturedreef.com/additives.htm)

The Cultured Reef (http://theculturedreef.com/) is a proud sponsor of Talking Reef forum.

End of commercial. :agree: :rotfl:

Dick

Jasonanatal
02-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Make your own

Bulk Reef Supply - Bulk Reef Supply (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Calcium,-Alkalinity-&-Magnesium-Magnesium/c1_4/index.html)

I use their stuff and am quite happy with it.

Phurst, thank you for the vote. I am getting a lot of recommendations for the Bulk Reef Supply Magnesium. Can you explain what is the difference between their Magnesium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate and the two part addtive? I'm a little confused.

Jasonanatal
02-05-2009, 08:29 AM
I could make my own and save some money,as Phurst suggests but, I have enough other reef related duties to take care of, I don't want to become a chemist, too.

Ocean's Blend has been my choice for the last 9 years or so. It is of the highest quality, mixed full strength, made by a hobbyist for hobbyists. As most of you know I sell only products that I use, or fully trust, on my web site. I could choose any of brand, Ocean's Blend's additives are the best quality of the pre-mixed additives and the only brand I use and recommend.

Check them out here - Ocean's Blend Additives (http://theculturedreef.com/additives.htm)

The Cultured Reef (http://theculturedreef.com/) is a proud sponsor of Talking Reef forum.

End of commercial. :agree: :rotfl:

Dick

Amphibious, yep I just started using the Ocean's Blen Magnesium that you had sent me. I'm having a little issue with the dosing. I figured that I could raise my Magnesium by 15 PPM with 5 Teaspoons on my 120 gallon. Does that sound right?

V
02-05-2009, 08:30 AM
haha, nothing like making a living my friend.:agree:

just remember to add a joke of the day ampage

a buddas monk walks up to a hotdog vender & say's

" make me one with everthing"

Jasonanatal
02-05-2009, 08:32 AM
haha, nothing like making a living my friend.:agree:

just remember to add a joke of the day ampage

a buddas monk walks up to a hotdog vender & say's

" make me one with everthing"

Verian, how is the land down under?

V
02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
hot brother, the temps peaks so high its killing my Corn ..lol

Getting over the australian open tour,working & just got back from basketball so im stuffed & its not even the weekend yet. But other than that, all good!

Hows the family?

Amphibious
02-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Amphibious, yep I just started using the Ocean's Blen Magnesium that you had sent me. I'm having a little issue with the dosing. I figured that I could raise my Magnesium by 15 PPM with 5 Teaspoons on my 120 gallon. Does that sound right?

Because the level of additives in any given reef system are in a constant flux and not static, I can't answer that question with a specific yes or no. You have to establish your system's demand on Calcium, Alk and Mag. Different systems of the same size will have different demands do to the diversity of life between each system. I recommend reefers test before dosing to establish a beginning point, dosing a measured amount, waiting an hour and testing again. Record your findings and test again the next day. Continue this routine until a daily usage amount has been determined for your system. In my 135, heavy sps dominated reef I dose 90 ml per day of Ocean's Blend Calcium and pH/Alk additives and 30 ml of Magnesium. Those three additives are the most important to add to any reef system.

I find, once my Magnesium has reached the desired level, 1250 to 1500 ppm, it requires less than an equal part of the other two. When things are in balance, Cal 450, Alk 9, Mag 1250 or higher, I test every two weeks just to be sure the dose I'm adding of each is maintaining the desired levels. I seldom have to change the amount dosed.

I hope this helped.

Dick

Jasonanatal
02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Because the level of additives in any given reef system are in a constant flux and not static, I can't answer that question with a specific yes or no. You have to establish your system's demand on Calcium, Alk and Mag. Different systems of the same size will have different demands do to the diversity of life between each system. I recommend reefers test before dosing to establish a beginning point, dosing a measured amount, waiting an hour and testing again. Record your findings and test again the next day. Continue this routine until a daily usage amount has been determined for your system. In my 135, heavy sps dominated reef I dose 90 ml per day of Ocean's Blend Calcium and pH/Alk additives and 30 ml of Magnesium. Those three additives are the most important to add to any reef system.

I find, once my Magnesium has reached the desired level, 1250 to 1500 ppm, it requires less than an equal part of the other two. When things are in balance, Cal 450, Alk 9, Mag 1250 or higher, I test every two weeks just to be sure the dose I'm adding of each is maintaining the desired levels. I seldom have to change the amount dosed.

I hope this helped.

Dick

Amphibious, that definitely is well put together. Thank you.

Amphibious
02-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Thank you!

Amphibious
02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
By the way, I should have added...

With Ocean's Blend, once you get your Mag to 1250 or higher, you can stop adding straight Magnesium. The newest formula of Ocean's Blend 2 part is formulated to maintain Mag at 1250 or above. Periodic testing of Mag levels is still necessary to assure your system's demand for Mag hasn't risen.

Dick

Phurst
02-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Jason. Mag Chloride is a magnesium ion commonly sold as MAG flake or Prestone Driveway Heat. Mag sulfide is epsom salts. Either can be used alone to dose for mag. Randy Holmes-Farley's recipe for dosing calls for a blend of the two.

Jasonanatal
02-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Jason. Mag Chloride is a magnesium ion commonly sold as MAG flake or Prestone Driveway Heat. Mag sulfide is epsom salts. Either can be used alone to dose for mag. Randy Holmes-Farley's recipe for dosing calls for a blend of the two.

Phurst, I think I may just go with the Magnesium Chloride alone.

V
02-05-2009, 10:43 PM
i didn't think this was ur first bbq bud?

Phurst
02-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Yeah, a lot of people do. If you ever wanted to supliment with mag sulfide, it's the same epsom salts you can get at the grocery.

Astrivian
02-06-2009, 02:48 PM
I make my own using the 2 part solution from Bulk Reef Supply. It is really simple to make, it doesn't really even border on chemistry imo, and the two buckets of stuff you need are not that expensive (epsom salt and mag chloride). I prefer to use both so that i am not adding an excessive amount of chloride or sulfate into my tank, but this is based on my limited chemistry knowledge. My theory is that once the critters (or whatever) uses the magnesium, the other atom is left loose. So if you keep adding magnesium chloride you will eventually have a buildup of chloride atoms (ions) in your tank. I am not sure if this matters at all but variety never hurts IMO.

The same is true for the DIY Alk mix. I don't use baking soda since it is all sodium bicarbonate. It would cause a whole bunch of sodium to pile up in the tank. I don't think that is good. This is one situation where i do use over the counter additives instead since they are packed with other carbonate molecules (such as calcium carbonate (chalk)). So, maybe the same is true with the commercial Mg additives, i am not sure.

FishFinder
02-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I use BRS (BulkReefSupply) 2 part powder and drip Magnesium. I've been using it for around 6 months and it's been working great! I also drip their Magnesium using my Kent doser to supplement about once a month. My wife has to do the MAG test for me because I am partially colored blind and have trouble seeing the color change. They also provide a nice calculator on their web site that will help you figure out the correct dosage.

Calculator: Bulk Reef Supply (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/i6/Calcium-and-Alkalinity-Calculator./information.html)

Two Part Instructions: Bulk Reef Supply - Bulk Reef Supply Articles - Two Part Instructions (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Two-Part-Instructions/t1/articles.html)

washingtond
02-21-2009, 10:03 AM
After a huge battle with bryopsis I am a firm believer in Tech-M. At one point I was ready to tear down our 200 gal and start over. Today the bryopsis is completely gone and I maintain a Mg level of 1500 - 1600 ppm all the time using Tech-M.

A running history with pictures of our tanks can be found on the link 200 gal reef project below.