PDA

View Full Version : calcium/alk/buffer same day?

Cyclura
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
i'm confused, which ones can you add on the same day and which ones do you have to do on seperate days to prevent one from binding to the other and overriding the dosage? (calcium/Alkalinity/buffer)

Cyclura
02-05-2009, 09:02 AM
anybody? anybody at all?

Amphibious
02-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey Adam, sorry I didn't see this post before.

When dosing 2 part, always dose equal amounts at the same time. Here is a post I made on another thread which is a partial answer to your question.

Because the level of additives in any given reef system are in a constant flux and not static, I can't answer that question with a specific yes or no. You have to establish your system's demand on Calcium, Alk and Mag. Different systems of the same size will have different demands do to the diversity of life between each system. I recommend reefers test before dosing to establish a beginning point, dosing a measured amount, waiting an hour and testing again. Record your findings and test again the next day. Continue this routine until a daily usage amount has been determined for your system. In my 135, heavy sps dominated reef I dose 90 ml per day of Ocean's Blend Calcium and pH/Alk additives and 30 ml of Magnesium. Those three additives are the most important to add to any reef system.

I find, once my Magnesium has reached the desired level, 1250 to 1500 ppm, it requires less than an equal part of the other two. When things are in balance, Cal 450, Alk 9, Mag 1250 or higher, I test every two weeks just to be sure the dose I'm adding of each is maintaining the desired levels. I seldom have to change the amount dosed.

Many reefers are not aware of the importance of dosing Magnesium. Calcium levels are hard to maintain (if not impossible), if Mag falls below 1250 ppm. If you are not testing for and dosing Mag then it is most likely low and Calcium is probably low, around the 340 ppm mark. You can dose Cal all day long and with low Mag, your Cal will precipitate OUT almost immediately back to 340.

If you are looking for a quality 2 part, plus Magnesium, I use and Highly recommend Ocean's Blend. You can check it out on my web site here - Ocean's Blend (http://theculturedreef.com/additives.htm)

Dick

Cyclura
02-05-2009, 01:06 PM
thanks dick, i just ordered the one gallon 2 part pack. Should make my life much easier without having to dose Ca2+, alk, buffer, AND Mg seperatly.

oh, and im loving the measuring top! what a great idea!

Amphibious
02-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Thank you for the order, Adam. This will go out tomorrow by FedEx. Yes the measuring devices are very handy. Dial in the amount and just squeeze the bottle, then pour. I mix mine in a separate vessel with ro/di water and add to the sump. If you have to add it to the DT, do it in a high flow area such as the return outlet.

Dick

sweetpea
02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
I always battle pH can't keep it above 8.2 on a reg basis what should I do? I don't test for mag and battle alk n cal. I use a powder kent marine buffer ne better suggestions? I also have seaalk and argonite nothing seems to work. Maybe I need a better regimin n scheduled dosing.

CarmieJo
02-16-2009, 08:50 PM
When you say you battle Ca and alk what are the numbers? A pH of 8.2 isn't bad. Low pH is often caused by high indoor CO2. Have you tried aerating a cup tank water for an hour and then testing pH?

sweetpea
02-17-2009, 06:26 PM
I havent tried the cup thing yet, I coulld do that. Alk just below <105. It just seems like I am always trying to raise cal alk, pH.... These reading are the same most of the time but do drop, so Im at a loss on how to kkep them more stable.

sweetpea
02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Should I be dosing my tank on a more regular basis to keep these numbers up ans stable? Maybe I am not using the best of products, every store seems to have their own opinion on what is better. Ill check back in soon, have the flu on my only day off, but wanted to sign in and check my user CP. Going back to bed to get some rest I have a double shift tomorow.

CarmieJo
02-20-2009, 11:55 PM
I drip kalk every day to keep my numbers stable. Until you know your tank's demand I would test daily and dose as needed. What is your Ca? Calcium and alkalinity are inversely proportional so often if one is low the other is high. Calcium and magnesium are directly proportional so if one is low so is the other.