PDA

View Full Version : Colt coral

Catalyst
01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey everyone. I am just starting out with reef tanks and salt water altogether. Here is my dilemma; My tank just finished the cycling process two weeks ago, so we added 10 hermit crabs to start cleaning stuff up. My father also added a green colored coral which is flourishing and doing very well (pic below). I went to the LFS last week and picked up a nice looking colt coral and two clown fish to add to the tank since the nitrates, salinity, temp, and ammonia looked good. I floated the coral in the water for 30 minutes to equalize the temp before placing him near the top of my liverock structure. That was last thursday... Today it looks weepy and it appears that the coral is shrinking to an extent. The "foot" of the coral looks like its lifting off the base rock that it came with. Here are some before and after photos. What is going on?
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g150/farva187/DSCF0055.jpg Before
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g150/farva187/DSCF0064.jpg After

My other coral. anyone know which species this is? When the polyps retract, it is just a big purple rock.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g150/farva187/DSCF0066.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Phurst
01-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Bottom pic is green star polyps. A pretty coral to be sure, but you'll thank yourself later if you make sure the rock it's growing on is isolated and not touching any other rocks. That stuff can grow very quickly and can take over a tank. Keeping it confined to one rock is the best way to still enjoy the coral, but keep it in check.

Colts and other softies will shrink and expand with some regularity. We would have a better shot at deciding if it's normal or if it's in trouble if you could post your current water parameters.

Skurvey Dog
01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Hello Catalyst, You have 2 very nice specimens there. You have "lucked out" on both accounts in choosing 2 easy to care for specimens, but may I be so bold in suggesting that "ANYTHING" you choose for your tank be decided after serious care and consideration for the species and lot's of research being done. :D I saw where your "acclimation" curtailed of "Floating a bag," that is the correct procedure for a fresh water tank. Salt water tanks are a little more demanding as the salt content or specific gravity is so very important. Slow drip acclimation is the key to sucess with a marine system. Not only does the new specimen have to become acclimated to the temp... they need the salinity of the water also. I am not busting you, merely "acclimating you" to an ever exciting, challenging and rewarding hobby in the salt water world. Oh yeah!!!! Glad you're here!!!! You have moved a little too quickly, but that's ok..... if you are careful and really watch your P's and Q's. Ideally one would wait for a few weeks to add anything else to their carefully maintained mini eco systym. Everything done in a marine system is done slowly so that the biodiversity that dwells within can adapt, make adjustments and do what they do best. I think that if you hold the course, watch your water reading and do water changes accordingly, you should be ok. I would NOT add anything else to my tank until a few weeks. If you are not already doing so, I would keep a tank journal. It will show you exactly what is going on in your tank and allow you to make intelligent decissions on what needs to be done. It will take alot of guess work out of the equation.

Good luck to you and I sure like your new pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CarmieJo
01-27-2009, 09:16 AM
I drip acclimate my corals so they get used to the temperature and water parameters. I think that your colt may be unhappy because it was not used to your parameters and you may have added too much too soon. But, colts are hardy and I think that you will be OK if you follow Lori's advice.

sherman50
02-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Don't feel too bad or worry too much. Check out my post "I dare not ask but". My colt recovered the next day.

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/soft-coral/8030-i-dare-not-ask-but.html#post94634

saltaddict
02-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Catalyst - Acclimating anything you put in your tank is a must.

I too float the bag for about 15 minutes - This allows the temp to regulate to the temp of my tank.
I then start adding 1/4 cup of water from my tank every 10 minutes to the bag. When the bag gets too full I pour out 1/2 into a container to be thrown away. I continue adding 1/4 cup of water until the bag is full again.
I then gently remove the creature and place in the tank. I throw all water from the bag away.

Some put the animal in another container and start a drip line from their system.

Good Luck.

Catalyst
02-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately the colt coral died and start decomposing about 10 days ago. My first death in the tank next to my cleaner shrimp. Water parameters are perfect so I decided to add another coral. This time I went with a toadstool coral. I will post some pics in a little bit.

rayme07
02-16-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm sorry about the death of you colt coral and cleaner shrimp. The cleaner shrimp probably died due to a slight pollution from the colt the slightest thing can kill shrimp they are O so delicate. I cant wait to see your toadstool. :)

govertical19
02-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey just wondering when adding coral is it like fish were you should add slow to let system adjust?

rayme07
02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Yep its exactly like fish. If you add to many corals at the same time it will be to much for the bio load to catch up. That's why its good to add 1to 2 corals every two weeks. So the bio load can catch up. :)