PDA

View Full Version : Do i need to use the legs on my nova extreme light?

easterly81
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
I keep going back and forth about this one. I have a current nova extreme t5 light on my tank, with glass tops. Would i get more intense light with the figure sitting on the glass tops, or spaced with the legs. Seems like a dumb question but sometime the tank looks brighter with the leg spacing it.

Phurst
01-12-2009, 06:24 PM
You'll get a wider spread with the legs, but you'll get more intensity by removing the glass tops. Did you have them on there for a particular reason? They trap heat, inhibit gas exchange at the water surface and get covered with salt and calcium deposits.

PhotoJohn
01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
it would be brighter sitting directly sitting on the glass...if a light is a certain strength at 3 inches it is half as intense at 6 inches and so on.

if you dont have a certain reason to have the top drop kick it out the door, if you have to have a top, how about egg crate?

easterly81
01-12-2009, 07:22 PM
I have a wild 3 year old boy. That home a lot more than I and playing mostly in the living room were the tank is, not to mention the coach butts up to the tank. The tops are starfire and kept clean frequently.

easterly81
01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
The starfire glass should help past light better than reg glass, right?

Phurst
01-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Yep, definitely.