PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Anemones

Dragonwolf
01-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi all, just read the post from Photojohn about getting a BTA. I have a mated pair of true perculas and am also thinking of getting an anemone for them. One perc is wild caught and the other is tank raised, (whole 'nother story bout that), they are just starting to sex change. Is there any anemone that the percs prefer? Any anemone that they will take to - guaranteed? Yeah, I know nothing is guaranteed except something will go wrong, lol. I have T5 HO lighting using Geisemann and ATI bulbs, 24" deep tank. Will that be enough for an anemone? If it's not, will it move itself higher up in the tank? Oh yeah, the anemone has to be "beautiful" or the wife will nix it. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
PS...Carmiejoe, your BTA IS beautiful-!!

PhotoJohn
01-11-2009, 02:55 PM
I have recently looked at several different BTAs on google, there are some amazing color variations. I think the BTA is one of the "easier" to care for anemones given proper conditions.

My clarkii took to my old carpet the second it hit the water, however my true perc has never had a chance...if you listen to the TR pod cast on clown fish/ anemones I think Rob (the clown guru) outlines a way to get clowns to host. It basically involves feeding the clowns nearer and nearer to anemone untill you are always feeding them in/around the anemone...in theory they will make it their home.

Your lighting...It all depends on how many T5 bulbs you are using. I would guess two bulbs in front and two in the back would be enough light assuming they have individual reflectors. However I use MHs and T5, so I cant tell you for sure. As far as I know BTA dont need extremely high light and usually place their foot somethere shaded, extending into the direct light.

Phurst
01-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Looks like Percs will naturally pair with crispa, ritteri, giant carpet, and saddle carpet.

Clownfish Anemone Compatibility Chart (http://www.fishlore.com/clownfishanemonechart.htm)

sweetpea
01-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Can I put a a BTA in a smaller tank? 1hat do u think of me trying two anemones in the same tank to see which one my clowns take to. They don't like there new Sebae who is in his happy spot. So could I try a BTA on the opposite end and if they host I can bring one back to my LFS, she works with trial and error with me.

Phurst
01-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Check out the post above you. If you really want the best chance of your percs to find a host, you'll want an anemone they would naturaly host with. Sometimes they will host in other anemones, but your best chance is with one of their natural host anemones. I would also strongly advise against mixing anemone species in any but the very largest systems.

rayme07
02-01-2009, 04:03 AM
I agree with phurst fully. :agree: Never mix two different types of anemones.

sweetpea
02-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I have read several articles that say you can mix species and cannot. I will take the advice of you guys, it seems to always be the best route. I may try the sebae for just a bit longer. I was going to give it another day or two with trying to coax the clowns with food over to him. If not I may move it to the areas they like to sleep in. I am undecided. I am going to talk to my LFS tomorrow, and see what suggestions she may have,because they seem to host in the sebaes at the store. If not there may be another route to take. let meknow if you think of other ideas. I have read that the ritter and BTA are good choices for my pair, but very hard to take care of. My parameters are all up to par, and I have compact flourecent lights fixtures, and suggestions.

CarmieJo
02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I believe that BTA's are known as one of the easiest species of anemones. I think that moving the sebae is a mistake. Have you tried turning off the pumps and squirting mysis over the anemone to entice the clowns in that direction?

kgchampagne
02-04-2009, 02:23 AM
It took my percs over six months to call the BTA home. I think patience is the key, they will figure it out.

sweetpea
02-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Mysis? I am trying to be very patient. I just feel I may have the wrong type of host, although several articles say sebaes will work.

CarmieJo
02-05-2009, 02:34 AM
I thaw frozen mysis in a strainer, rinse to remove some of the phosphates, soak the thawed shrimp in garlic like Garlic Guard and then add tank water. Suck it up with a turkey baster and then use this to squirt to mysis towards the anemone. You might want to turn off all circulation since that way it is less likely to blow all around the tank.

highdesertreef
02-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I haven't had any problems with my true percula clown hosting. First it hosted a patch of maidens hair algae, than it hosted a patch of calurpa (after I removed the hair algae). I added a colony of Zoas in December (a christmas present from the wife) and the clown is now hosting them. It was a wild caught so that might be a part of the ease of hosting. I am looking to get a nem for my tank as well.

sweetpea
02-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Mine are wild caught too. I am just gonna try all the suggestions.