PDA

View Full Version : sick clowns

PhotoJohn
01-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I have 3 clowns in my 75g display... 1black and white percula, 1 false Per, and a clarkii. I think the clarkii is going to have to go, he is agressive and has nipped the fins of the black and white clown(I know combining clowns can be risky but i was condensing tanks and wanted to see if they would get along, the b&w and false P have been together for over a year with no issues)...I was going to give the clarkii away but in the last few days i noticed a problem with the clowns. From what i can tell via google it is a stress problem.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/3167901592_73f6d0741a.jpg?v=0

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1081/3167067617_8a3008cf7e.jpg?v=0

My temperature has been high, hitting 85 on occasion, I am still trying to get it running where it should be with the MHs. I have not tested the water lately but I will do so soon and if anything is amiss I will post it.

I cant tell if the B&W clown has the same issue as he is jet black.

Other than the gills (if they are gills?) being out I don't see anything else wrong. The false P was rubbing some rock but I have not noticed anything on his skin

They are all eating very well

CarmieJo
01-04-2009, 05:06 PM
I've not run into this but I found the same info on Google. Since the Clarkii is affected as well I'm interested in knowing what your params are. Especially with one fish flashing it could also be Brooklynella which can attack the gills. Here is info from WetWebMedia BrooklynellosisArt (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brooklynellosisart.htm)

PhotoJohn
01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
I looked at Brooklynella on google before I posted and some sights said it also effected the animals skin...my fishes skin is still fine, but that doesnt necessarily mean anything

PhotoJohn
01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
I just checked my levels

PH: 7.8 low but normal...I have been trying to buffer it up to no avail
Nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia: all undetectable

CarmieJo
01-04-2009, 08:57 PM
John high CO2 in your house can cause low pH. Try taking a cup of tank water and aerating it for a while an then re-check the pH.

I only thought of Brooklynella because of the flashing. They can start that before you can see anything. I am in no way a clownfish expert so it is just something to keep an eye out for.

PhotoJohn
01-05-2009, 01:09 AM
thanks for the insight

ryandlf
01-06-2009, 10:19 AM
After I saw this post I went and checked my clown out and hes got the same markings. I never really thought twice about it and I think thats just typical markings...I could be wrong, and in that case we are in the same boat.

PhotoJohn
01-06-2009, 04:41 PM
it is a recent development for my clowns, they have only shown it for a few days...hope yours are just colored that way.

The Oc. Clown was in my nano when my nitrates hit 25-45, he was just fine then...the good water must be stressing him jk

ryandlf
01-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Ya definately strange...mine don't have as long of lines as yours do coming out from around the cheeks but its definately somewhat there. I'm convinced its normal but keep me informed if you realize its somthing bad.

PhotoJohn
01-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Well it is not normal for my clowns...I will inform you if it develops into something major.

rayme07
01-07-2009, 03:11 AM
I just checked my clown and he has them to but not that same black color. His is orange it was pretty hard to spot.