PDA

View Full Version : how many of the past shows have you listen to?

Rob
04-22-2006, 12:02 AM
ok, i am reaching episode 50, and realize that some/many people new listeners may not have gone back to listen to all the past shows.

if its common for people not to listen to past shows i might look at re-talking about some topics (not totally the same but somewhat)
but if most people listen to all the shows i would not do this..

so, how many past shows have you listen to

pham411
04-22-2006, 12:20 AM
im pretty sure ive heard them all...

ZeroKoolNYC
04-22-2006, 12:30 AM
I've listened to some episodes more then 3 times.

V
04-22-2006, 01:05 AM
im a pay master so i sit in front of the computer all day, which gives me the chance to plug the pod into my computer and listen to past and present show regulary
do u mean go back and touch up what u have done, or take past topics and expand into them abit further?

WRECK DIVER 61
04-22-2006, 07:41 AM
I download and listen to them all, The more I know the easier this hobby becomes. If you wanted to touch back on previous shows that would be great.

Rob
04-22-2006, 01:29 PM
yes, i was thinking that if many people hadn't really listen to the early episodes, i would actually recycle them kind of.. re-talk about the topics. i have more experience with recording and doing the show now and im sure i could make them better, but if everyone has heard them i wouldn't want to bore people... :)

wildeone
04-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Go for it Rob, thats would be great!

Raggamuffin
04-22-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm still new and trying to catch up but the idea of making some conglomeration type shows wouldn't be a bad one. As in taking a few shows that deal with general topic and renailing the main points of that family of topics.

Reefbaby
04-22-2006, 04:26 PM
I've listenend to them all! (of course!) The great thing is that you can go back and listen to topics that you're maybe not so familiar with in order to solidify the knowledge.

What might be a good idea is to take some of those topics and expand a bit more on them, go into more detail, answer some specific questions that have come up. This might be more time-beneficial that just re-stating what you've already talked about.

Rob
04-22-2006, 04:32 PM
yea, thats more what i was thinking.. but wasn't sure if people would think i was just "repeating the same thing" or not...

one thing i know, is i want to try and find a way to get the podcast more interactive with the community, my first step towards that is the roundtable shows...

christensonjes
04-22-2006, 05:52 PM
I wouldnt want to hear the basics of those topics again. waiting for the new one is too much to bear already. then when it comes out it would suck to find out it is filtration basics again, or something like that. But to go deeper into a topic would be cool.

I really like the interviews and specialized topics. Like the Goniopora, Zooxanthelle, Seahorses. Topics like that!

AquaEd
04-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Whatever happened to the Co Host Thing with that guy from the UK. I thought that was kind of cool.

Ed.

Rob
04-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Whatever happened to the Co Host Thing with that guy from the UK. I thought that was kind of cool.

Ed.
he is no longer able to perform that role..

V
04-23-2006, 12:43 AM
daves tired up with having a new family, i cant remember rob, did he have a boy or girl

Reefbaby
04-23-2006, 04:38 AM
Veriann - it was actually Matt that was co-hosting and yes, he had a new baby! :-)

V
04-23-2006, 04:43 AM
opps, *<insert correct name here>* my bad!

stevefranks
04-23-2006, 03:20 PM
I voted wrong. I didnt understand the poll, I have listened to all episodes, but have not listened to them more than once.

ZeroKoolNYC
04-23-2006, 06:05 PM
I don't think rehashing previous topics would be a bore if you get into again. It's never bad to have information repeated to you so that you can understand what is being said.

rmulet
04-23-2006, 08:00 PM
yes, i was thinking that if many people hadn't really listen to the early episodes, i would actually recycle them kind of.. re-talk about the topics. i have more experience with recording and doing the show now and im sure i could make them better, but if everyone has heard them i wouldn't want to bore people... :)

Hey Rob,
It would be great to recycle topics only to talk about things that you might of had missed or wanted to get into more detail about. Sort of an addendum to the topic. Refer people back to the episode so you don't have to repeat stuff. That would also make it so people would download the older pod-casts. :D
I look at the shows as an encyclopedia of sorts for info. I always listen to the older ones when I am dealing with something that I am currently going through. Example, the green hair algae problem and the Marine SAT. I had to go through some shows to find out the name of that product.
Ralph

CarmieJo
04-23-2006, 09:48 PM
I like Ralph's idea about referring people to the original podcast and then going more in depth into the topic.

JustDavidP
04-24-2006, 03:02 PM
All of them...multiple times...'cept my own show. I listened to just as a preview before it was sent live.... haven't had the guts to listen again ;)

D

christensonjes
04-24-2006, 03:24 PM
I also use it as an encyclopedia. Its nice to be able to hear someone talk about the subject instead of reading it.

kj_yoda
04-25-2006, 11:00 AM
I have listened to each and every episode. I have listened to a few of them several times and take them with me everywhere.

dreams
04-25-2006, 10:07 PM
i listened to substrates #2 first.....then, went back and started with #1....i am at #12 and wondering where #10 is

Rob
04-25-2006, 10:25 PM
10 is not on the site, a mistake when i was upgrading website, but if you subscribe to the podcast feed using something like iTunes you will get all of them, including a few of the bonus episodes

(to subscriber, install itunes if not all ready installed, then on the right side of the homepage of the site there is a link titles itunes,... just click that)

Allen
04-27-2006, 07:46 AM
Hi Rob and all,
I love the show, found it on itunes a couple weeks ago and have started listening from the first podcast on. I am up to about episode 18 or so and have learned a number of things which have helped me and my tank already. So I had to vote that I have listened to about 50% of the episodes, but I am listening to them all in order before listening to the more recent shows.
So I concur with what a few people have already suggested, when discussing a topic that has already been discussed, refer to the appropriate episodes as warranted and then go more in-depth or take a different direction with the material.
Thanks for all your work in getting this podcast out, it's great!

Allen

V
04-27-2006, 08:27 AM
welcome to the talkingreef community. glad that ur liking the shows. hope u enjoy your stay

gwen_o_lyn
04-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Welcome to TR Allen! :)

slebla240
04-27-2006, 05:06 PM
rob...i am still waiting for you and mat to finish all the filtration shows.lol. maybe you could put some of that in a show. i am very interested in the filtration ability of some plants

Rob
04-27-2006, 08:43 PM
rob...i am still waiting for you and mat to finish all the filtration shows.lol. maybe you could put some of that in a show. i am very interested in the filtration ability of some plants
lol.. yes, i know i need to get that show done...
i do have plans to get it out.. i will try to get to it sooner..
sorry for the delay on that one...lol

JustDavidP
05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Hiya Allen... Welcome to the Talking Reef! How did you "Find" the show? Also, do you know about the Boston Reefers Society?

Dave

cheng21tang
05-02-2006, 02:05 AM
i actually go back to listen to all of them. i'm working my way back up to the current podcast. i like the video-cast. to a few more of those when you can.

Rob
05-02-2006, 10:36 AM
i am working on it. im trying to come up with the right ideas for things to do.

if there are suggestions for common items that having a video of would help, please post them in the podcast feedback forum, and i can try to get working on them

Allen
05-05-2006, 05:50 AM
Hi Dave!
Sorry for the slow response. No, I haven't heard of the Boston Reefer's Society. I'm in the metrowest area which puts me a little ways from Boston, though not too far. Is there a website? To answer your other question, I found the talkingreef podcast when I was surfing through itunes, checked it out, and now I'm hooked. [Is that an appropriate metaphor for these pages?] I think I will see now if someone has started a thread on all of the things they have learned through the podcast, and if not, start one. I've learned a ton.

Allen

JustDavidP
05-05-2006, 09:11 AM
*whispering* I'm your neighbor....AND the last time that some of us BRS folk got together was at Firefly's ... two streets away from me in Marlboro. We are called Boston Reefers, but may as well be the NERS...New England Reefers Society. We have members in every N.E. State and others who have moved who still retain affiliation. www.bostonreefers.org is the home page. The forums (which tend to be a little advanced) are found here: http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?

Dave

Allen
05-05-2006, 09:49 PM
So you are!:) I know just where that Firefly's is, too. Thanks for the link to the website. I've bookmarked it though anything advanced is beyond me right now. But I'm learning.

JustDavidP
05-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Well then you've come to the right place.. TR is a very newbie friendly site.

D

dwillingm
05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
I dont think it is a great idea to repeat content from old shows. I just picked up the podcast a few weeks ago, and I am going to go through all of them.

Rob
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
I dont think it is a great idea to repeat content from old shows. I just picked up the podcast a few weeks ago, and I am going to go through all of them.
makes sense... to you its all new content, so it would be something you just heard..

thanks..
i think i will be reusing some topics here and there, just looking at different aspects of them. so kind of the same, but not totally..

ghostbear29
05-15-2006, 10:07 AM
I download the casts to my ipod and listen on the way to work.

rroselavy
05-15-2006, 07:56 PM
I like Ralph's idea about referring people to the original podcast and then going more in depth into the topic.

I've listened to all the podcasts, some twice - but have always desired a way to listen to the beginner material as a "clip show" where the presentation is more orderly and compact.

Additional information/clarification on any of the beginner topics could be addended immediately following each re-issued clip. This podcast (or podcast mini-series) could become "The Talking Reef Foundation" or something like that.

-Scott

Rob
05-16-2006, 12:26 AM
great idea scott, i will see if i can find a good way to put that together.. :)

Cjvolitan
05-26-2006, 06:03 AM
I have listened to every pod cast. I go back to refferance them when i fell liuke i need to brush up on a topic. your doing a great job Rob keep it up.

m8298
06-12-2006, 08:36 PM
I've been listening for a while now, I've listened to all but maybe 3. There have been several that I've listened to twice or more. Oddly enough, I am an iPod owner who wondered what the hell a podcast was, the first iTunes search was on reef keeping, I found two. From the second time I heard a Talkingreef podcast, I've been hooked. I immediately got on iTunes and started leaching, err, I mean downloading episode after episode. I don't know how I could have learned as much as I have, any other way. I love the show so much that I backed them up to a dvd-r, just in case. Which also says something else, not only are there more than fifty episodes, THERE IS OVER A GIG IN FILES! Which by the way, says yet one more thing... ROB RULES!!! Thanks for doing this...

OK, I'll shutup now.

V
06-13-2006, 06:42 AM
yeah, was looking into why i still have a problem with some vid files(memery buffer overload) its the hardware. but i did pick up itunes storage file was 10G alone!
thats spun me out cause im on dial up,lol, very impressive!
but i am lost without the ipod at work, all day its on my shows, between talking reef, merick & rosso, ira's science friday, space music &easa &nasa feeds im surprissed i have have enough time to listen to them all, somehow i manage, with time to spare to go back over TRcasts

Rob
06-13-2006, 09:55 AM
V, your playlist sounds similiar to mine...lol

fat walrus
06-15-2006, 09:27 PM
wow, veriann how long does it take to download video on dial-up?

V
06-16-2006, 01:31 AM
i dont really know, dial up is slow as, <<<<<<<focus on the last 2 words!
this computer is only here for TR & ipod transfers. to be honest i dont realy use it for much else, i have my family pictures on here also!
but i connect the ipod over night, and its cooked by morning, i gave up waiting for things to download, im on 10mbs at least at work, so home connection is a mind
%$%k

sbaize
10-19-2006, 06:19 PM
Greetings all,

I've been listening to all the pod-casts for the last few weeks and only have a couple more to go before catching up. But my question is, what happened to episode 24? I can't seem to find it in the forum list. Thanx

Steve

Rob
10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
lol.. sorry, episode 24 is missing from the forums, but its in the podcast feed.
if you subscribe to the feed you can download it..

it was mistake i made when transitioning from the old website to the new one

Reefbaby
10-20-2006, 03:47 AM
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/images/smilies/welcome.gif to TR sbaize!

Pinecone_Jeff
10-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Sleepless here, so I thought I'd flip through some of the forum pages.

I, for one, will be listening to all the episodes. Just got them downloaded last week and I'm up to ep26!

It'd be great to have a show where you update some of your earlier podcasts with new information you might have, Rob. It's been what? Almost/over 2 years? Seems like there ought to be some new insights or what not that you can make a show out it. :)

Anyhoos, I've been really inspired to start my new reef tank from these podcasts. Keep up the great work!

Jeff

venn
11-20-2006, 09:10 PM
I finally got through all of them, with the exception of the videos.

Seahorsedreams
11-22-2006, 03:33 PM
:cry: I need to find my speakers... I'm feeling very left out :cry:

Reefbaby
11-22-2006, 05:24 PM
oh Renee - you definitely need to listen to the podcasts!! :D

Seahorsedreams
12-08-2006, 11:07 PM
I found my speakers!!!

Reefbaby
12-09-2006, 05:32 AM
woo hoo!! you go girl! time to catch up now....

Seahorsedreams
12-09-2006, 05:06 PM
I should have asked for an MP3 player for Christmas <_<

JustDavidP
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM
*tuning up his voice* mi-mi-mi.....

How do I sound? Ready for the p-cast? Get Rob's email?

D

lReef lKeeper
12-16-2006, 11:04 PM
i cant really vote in the poll (i haven't even listened to 10 yet), but i can say this ...

i have listened to a few ... and i frigging love it !! in fact i am listening to "brittle stars" right now as i am typing !! i just got the iTunes downloaded last night ... and have already downloaded ALL the episodes !! i will be busy for a while, but i WILL get caught up AND be looking forward to many many many more !! keep up the great work Rob !!

Timanator
12-17-2006, 09:58 PM
I think I have listened to about 75%. The only one's I have not is the one's with no descriptions(Like Episode 3 or something named like that)

But out of the one's I have listened to, I keep them on my MP3 player and I listen to it at work and at the gym .

Good job Rob! This is definitely the only show of it's kind and answered a lot of my questions when I got started.

iglowce
01-26-2007, 12:30 AM
ALL OF THEM ofcourse.. they are great friends while i work out =]