PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Shrimp?

ChaoticByDesign
12-28-2008, 12:21 AM
I just started cycling my 14 gallon Biocube, but I'm already planning for the future. I know that one of the fish I want to eventually put in there is a Yellow Watchman Goby and I'm debating on whether or not I should pair it with a pistol shrimp. They look so cute together when I see them in pictures and at the LFS, but I'm concerned about the pistol going after other inverts in the tank. What experiences have people had with pistol shrimp?

SaltCritters
12-28-2008, 12:23 AM
they will be fine. I have a pistol with a pep and blood shrimp all in a 10gal tank with no problems.

CarmieJo
12-28-2008, 12:25 AM
I don't know how much of the site you've explored but did you see this thread? http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/tr-contests/7849-december-photo-month-winner.html

ChaoticByDesign
12-28-2008, 12:39 AM
they will be fine. I have a pistol with a pep and blood shrimp all in a 10gal tank with no problems.

Thanks, PJ. I was hoping that would be the answer. :D

I don't know how much of the site you've explored but did you see this thread? http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/tr-contests/7849-december-photo-month-winner.html

Actually, that picture was one of the ones that got me considering the idea of the pair in the first place after I saw them in the LFS. LOL

CarmieJo
12-28-2008, 12:53 AM
I think that John's image is superb! I have a NC24 that crashed a couple months ago. I am running it fallow right now attempting to emulate Eric's advice in The Building of a Reef (tank). (http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic23945-9-1.aspx) Once I get to the fish point I think I'd like to have a shrimp-gobie combo and the critters. I'll have a while before that happens. I have some snails and hermits in QT and I am adding them to the tank after New Year's Day.

ChaoticByDesign
12-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Carmie,

I love that article you linked to. I hadn't considered building a reef from that perspective, but it makes a lot of sense. I think I'm going to follow the same approach and build my reef with corals and inverts and make fish my last additions. Thanks for the info!

PhotoJohn
12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
the only creatures that should be fearful of the shrimp/goby are pod like animals, small worms, and mysis/brine. I have never had a problem with them attacking anything of substance.

The one issue is keeping corals on the sand bed, they will cover and hide them...never to be seen again.

the sooner you add the pair after cycling the better. If you have a mature sand bed all the digging in the sand could be bad for your tank. I added mine after having my nano for a year, for the next week the tank was cloudy.

ChaoticByDesign
12-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks John. I'll keep that in mind. :)

Now for the next question. Should I add the goby and the shrimp at the same time or will they still pair up if I add the goby first and then the shrimp later?

PhotoJohn
12-29-2008, 12:23 AM
should be fine either way