PDA

View Full Version : Water changes From the Ocean

astchiefy
12-26-2008, 05:20 PM
I have a 125 gallon fish and invert tank. Water changes as you know can be a full time job at that size. I am literally 5 minutes from Jamaica Bay inlet(Breezy point. If filted through pads should that be a great source of change water? I know there is risj in everything but the water bills and labor can be enourmous.

Dave - Assistant Chiefy
Astchiefy

rayme07
12-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Hi you can get water from the ocean but you have to be careful of pollution and other contaminants that may be in the ocean close to the land or further out. Iv heard of people like dick (Amphibious) he goes out I think 20 or 30 miles out to sea to get the water and you have to get the water from a certain depth to and then caring buckets back to land. To me I think its more of a hassle than just mixing your own. Just my opinion. Thanks :)

CarmieJo
12-27-2008, 03:30 AM
You have to get far enough offshore to avoid pollution. Some people let the natural sea water sit and settle for a few days before they use it and others don't. Some filter it and others don't. If it was me I would take all the precautions until I know how my tank will respond.

That being said, I am 2 hours away from the ocean and don't have a boat so I've never tried it myself. But, given the chance I sure would like to try using NSW. :)

Amphibious
12-27-2008, 10:33 AM
I use NSW whenever possible. I would not use it collected from shore with out going through a thorough and rigorous filtration regimen. When I can get out to collect, we go 7 miles off shore. There is no guarantee out there either but, it seems the water would be in better condition. I've used the water immediately by filtering it through a 50 micron filter sock for a couple of hours using a Mag 24 pump in 35 gallons of NSW. I check the salinity and adjust it to the tank salinity and use it. I've had no problems.

Dick

Rob
12-27-2008, 08:41 PM
this topic is talked about at length here
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/240-natural-seawater-podcast-episode-30-a.html
http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/279-feedback-show-1-podcast-episode-32-a.html

Astrivian
12-30-2008, 05:02 PM
I think it is sort of sad that the water is so polluted so close to shore. :(

Says a lot about our influence on nature.

Amphibious
12-31-2008, 12:28 PM
It isn't that it's so polluted it can't be used. It's that it's more likely to carry contaminants. I know of dealers here that collect water from the Inlet on an INCOMING TIDE. That water is less likely to carry contaminants BUT, they are known to have problems with their fish, etc. I wouldn't buy from them.

It's nice to have a boat that is capable of going off shore (on calm days) to collect what should be better quality water.

Dick

Alcedok9
01-22-2010, 06:11 PM
I am so thankful we live in Colorado. If we lived closer to the ocean, I just know what my husband would be saying. BUT honey, we NEED a boat and a BIG enough one to haul water for YOUR tanks. They are always MY tanks when it comes to maintenance.:roll:

V
01-22-2010, 08:09 PM
lol, yup.

welcome to TR kiddo.

Amphibious
01-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Worked for me. :rotfl:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/Amphibious_2007/Jan-02-07033.jpg

Skurvey Dog
02-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Ooooo Das Boot! Lol Love the boat Dick. Good to see those rods on there. :-) Have you spent much time with the new boat you got? I'm getting antsy for warm weather.

I too use NSW whenever possible and have had no problems.

rayme07
02-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Oh you lucky ducklings are so lucky that you live so close to the ocean to get NSW. I would love to have a boat so I can get some water from the ocean and spend some time with my dad deep sea fishing. :D

Amphibious
02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks Lori. I don’t get out as often as I’d like. Sue is prone (very prone) to sea-sickness. So it means going out alone. That is not a problem. The problem arrises when I come in. Loading the boat above onto the trailer is a two person job and a real pain in the arss for one. So I did the only thing a logical man could do, I bought another boat. OMG, I can just hear you all.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/Amphibious_2007/Boating/P9100015.jpg

1996 20’ Aquasport CC with a 2002 135 Yamaha. Sue does okay on the river and when we are on plane. It’s when we shut the engine down to collect water or fish that she turns green. :mrgreen: I’m in search of a different Mermaid to fish with. :cool: :rotfl:

I still have the other one. Planning on giving it a good coat of polish and put it on the market.

CarmieJo
02-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Nice looking boat Dick!

rayme07
02-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Great looking new boat Dick. :thumbs:

Malibu41
04-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Nice ride Dick! I would love to get a boat one day myself. Takes about an hour for me to get over to Daytona but I really like being out on the Ocean.

astchiefy
05-17-2010, 06:26 PM
I agree 100% with all of you and have been gathering information for years on this as many aquariums actuall use sea water including the New york Aquairm which is near me as well. Just though it an interesting debate. They use a UV system and skim their systems vigorously. I initially started my tank 8 years ago with sand I gathered from a beach nearby just to test the theory. 8 years later I am still running strong. Sand was not collected at shore side but actually further in land as not to pick up water soluable contaminants. I have had all types of micro organisms and copapods in the tanks which have not affected it one bit. One speaker actually mentioned using wild caught shore creatures which I thought was very odd as well as risky.