PDA

View Full Version : My aqua pods temp wont go down

fishyshawn
04-21-2006, 10:00 PM
okay. ive had this 24 gallon aqua pod for a bout a month and i just recently filled it with water i looked at the temprture to see what it was and it was reading 78 degrees with out a heater on. so i e-mailed Current and they said it was probaly the pump so i unplugged the pump the temp still didnt drop so while i was at my LFS i was talking to the guy who worked their and he brought up something about a small cooler that was fully submersible and i rember seeing one in a magazine but i didnt pay much attention to it so now i've been searching the internet and old magazines but i cant find it. if any body knows what im talking about please tell me. its about 8:55 pm right now and my tempeture seems to have stopped going up at about 81.4 degrees.

thanx
shawn

Rob
04-21-2006, 10:10 PM
im sorry, i dont remember, do you have MH lighting?
the heat is coming from somewhere, first thing you need to find is where its coming from, then we can move to the next step...

fishyshawn
04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Im not running an MH im running flourecent i was wondering if the fan on to the lights my not be strong enough but i dont know what type of fan i should use.
thanks
shawn

Rob
04-21-2006, 10:26 PM
how close is the lights to the tank, and whats the average room temp?
is the tank live or just starting, if its just starting, try killing pumps and stuff one by one so see if any of it lowers the temp..

(sorry with so many people i have a hard time remembering everyone tank)

fishyshawn
04-21-2006, 10:32 PM
the temp of my house is around the low 70s and ive tried killing things one by one the pump ive found does raise the tempeture but not by much so im thinking it may be the lights. the tank is just starting and the lights are about an 1 in to 1 1/2 in from the surface of the water.
P.S. wouldnt it be easier if we did a live chat

V
04-22-2006, 06:07 AM
i dont know what an aqua pod looks like, but im assuming its a smallish self circulating tank!
if u had narrowed it down to the lights, and the build up of heat within a hood, u say the fan draws from the atmos air in to the hood, or inside the hood out to atmosphere?
i should be designed to draw hot air out if im not mistaken. if not u might consider having a look to see if its reversible. or at the worst case ask someone for abit of assistance and change it out for a stronger fan. computer server fans seem to work fine for me in venting heat!

just a quick question, i know ur not silly, but its sometimes missed, if an air bubble has been traped in the thermonitor it can push the reading higher than its actual value!

at any rate its still early stage, theres plenty of time to suss the solution

fishyshawn
04-22-2006, 10:07 AM
the aqua pod is basicly a Nano cube althought its made by Current instead of JBJ. the fan draws air out of the hood and i when ever i put my hand over the fan the air that is coming out is not very strong and is really warm.

I dont think the air bubbles are doing any thing be cause i compared the digital thermometer with a glass one and the both read the same.

ill check out the computer fans.

thanks
shawn

V
04-22-2006, 10:13 AM
i had forgotten all about digital therms

feel like im trapped in the 60's sometimes, ahhh the sweet smell of technology:-P

Raggamuffin
04-22-2006, 03:54 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13976&N=2004+62760

^ 24 gallon Aqua pod URL

I just ordered one myself, any advance warning and problems you have let me know so I can head them off!

fishyshawn
04-22-2006, 04:18 PM
the only thing i dont like is this over heating problem but if you bought the one with the HQI lighting you might not have this problem because the one i have is compleatly covered

gwen_o_lyn
04-22-2006, 05:40 PM
I've read a few posts about heating issues on these types of tanks. From the pics I've seen- I think the light and canopy are all closed in and not much air exchange is present- is that right?

Is there a way you can setup a $5-10 fan to blow across the surface of the water? Usually the fan that comes with the fixture/hood isn't strong enough. This should lower your temp 3-5*.

Keep your house at a stable temp, keep everything plugged in and find out just how high your tank is getting- you are ok up until 84- just no higher. I wouldn't worry about temps of 81-82- you are ok there.

V
04-23-2006, 12:48 AM
theres a little chiller that i saw on nano tuners website.
to be honest im not sure how it works because i was looking into something else, but i remembered u mentioned it with ur starting question on the thread.
http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/nanotuners/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=79&reviews_id=4&osCsid=1750d34839f9fd43de4d1e94bdabcf6c

looking at america's pricing for things, u guys dont know how lucky u are, i would expect to pay twice even 3 time the amount down here for the same items

fishyshawn
04-29-2006, 02:09 PM
thats the cooler i was looking for! thanks a ton.

V
04-29-2006, 05:40 PM
let us know how it goes ok.

Jimm
04-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Hmmm interesting, that just looks like a big heat sink for your pumped water. I'd be curious to see how that works.

V
04-30-2006, 06:46 AM
well, when ether of u find out, do tell, because it looked like a german torture device to me..lol