PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for creating baffles

jeromefong
12-19-2008, 04:57 AM
I am planning to turn my 20 gal sump ( old glass aquarium) into a refugium. I was going to create some baffles with some sheets of glass. I was going to use the silicone sealant for the LFS but it is going to take quite a few tubes to get set up all the baffles. Is there an alternative that I could use that is sold in larger amounts and cheaper? I don't think I can use the silicone caulking from Home Depot, can I?

The other question is, how do you glue baffles 1 inch apart? That seems to the the standard distant between each baffle from other posting. However, after the first baffle, I'm not sure I can squeeze my hand between 2 panes of glass 1 inch apart to glue both sides of the pane. Do I just glue one side? Is there an easy way to get the silicone between 1 inch of glass?

thanks,

Jerome

THEJRC
12-19-2008, 10:44 AM
the standard GE Silicone I is safe if you let it cure long enough. avoid the SIlicone II as it has added fungicides. Any 100% silicone without added junk to make it "mold and/or mildew resistant" will do fine. Just make sure you cure it for two or three days.

I'll typically cure for 24-48 and then fill the thing up with tap water and cure for another 24 hours with the water in, then rinse the thing out and havent had any problems to date. I have had problems if I get in a rush and cure for less than two days though. The tank should not have that wonderful silicone smell when you plop it in place.

As far as the silicone between the baffles, I usually cut wood blocks to slide between the baffles to hold them in place and use a long thin stick (like a paint stirrer only skinnier) to spread the silicone between the baffles. It usually comes out well if I make marks on the outside of the tank where my baffles are going to go and with the baffles out run a bead of silicone inside the tank where those marks are, I then push the baffles in and against the silicone (so the silicone is on the inside between each baffle) and then silicone the outside where I dont have space problems. then it's just a matter of pressing the silicone up against the baffles with the trusty stick a touch and patching up if need be after it sets a bit.

jeromefong
12-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks, pretty smart idea of laying out a bead of silicone before I slide the glass in. I'll definitely try it out.

Jerome

PhotoJohn
12-19-2008, 02:55 PM
HD and lowes sell an aquarium sealant, use that.

dillan
12-20-2008, 12:57 AM
yeah home depot has the exact same toothpaste looking tubes of aquarium sealant that most lfs have except they are much much bigger and alot more reasonably priced to boot.

tdkarl
02-28-2009, 08:30 PM
There is a guy on youtube that posted a video on making a fuge. He used music CD cases to space and hold baffels temporarily. I think two is a half inch.

How are you handling flow in your fuge? what size pump are you running as a return. Would love to see a pic of your design.