PDA

View Full Version : Rodi

sweetpea
12-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I currently purchase my saltwater from my LFS as well as my fresh water. Their prices are reasonable. I was looking into a corallife RODI that has a high pressure and low pressure setting since my neighbor says thats what I need because his RODI has one setting and does not work as well in our apartment complex with the water pressure. I have never mixed my own salt water, and was wondering if I should stay with simply purchasing my water from my LFS or invest in the RODI and do it myself.

Phurst
12-03-2008, 03:37 PM
An RO/DI unit will quickly pay for itself over buying SW from the LFS. Not only that, but when you get water, you'll KNOW that the water is properly filtered and mixed. I used to buy my water as well, and after getting several batches of water with high and low salinity, and after finding out the LFS had been using a ruined RO membrane, i decided to get my own unit. Not only that, but then you can use whatever salt you like, not have to schlep those jugs to and from the store, produce SW when the store is closed, etc. It's my opinion that no reefer should be without an RO/DI setup.

There are, as far as i know, no such thing as a RO/DI unit for multiple water pressures. They need a minimum of 50 PSI, and preferably considerably higher. If you have low pressure, you can buy a booster pump to increase the pressure into the unit.

Skurvey Dog
12-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I agree with Pearson on getting your own RODI setup. It will definately pay for itself in short order and takes 50% of the hassle out of water changes and top offs. It is my understanding that low pressure, as well as the water source temerature, plays a part in the amount of time involved. You can purchase a booster like Pearson mentioned to increase the pressure and increase the performance of the equipment.

sweetpea
12-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I really want one. Thanks for your advice. Here is the one I was going to ask for for xmas, I cant go over board in price so i was gonna try this one out. I thought it had two setting but it has apump for low pressure areas. Aquarium Water Quality: Pure-Flo II RO Units (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12093)

Phurst
12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Coraliffe makes good units, but man, that's expensive. Have you shopped around? maybe check out eBay, buckeye field supply and The Filter Guys.

saltaddict
12-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I just received my Reef/Residential RODI with added chlormine and flouride filters from Buckeye and I am totally pleased. They are wonderful to do business with and they system is superb!