PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Crab

mab538
11-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Hey,

So after having some zoanthids disappear I investigated, and found a crab molt...then 2 days later a gorilla crab. She (based on the shape of the bottom of the shell) is now still clinging to the rock, but placed in my refugium - only resident aside from amphipods and tiny white serpent starfish.

Now, I think she's really neat looking and can't just kill her for doing what's natural...eating and survivng. So, I want to research and care for it...just separately so no more coral disappearances or gasp MIA fish haha.

Now, the question, I can't seem to find any information beyond AH! Kill it! on the ole interweb. Anyone have any information? Know any books they're referenced in?

I'm assuming it's like any other crab as I've seen her eat Mysid shrimp already when I offered them. I'm more curious on how big they get and things of that nature. Thanks in advance!

Amphibious
11-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Don't know much about Gorilla Crabs except they will kill most anything they can catch to survive. I lost several fish, Black Cap Basslet, Atlantic Dwarf Angel and something else before I ever saw it. Luckily I got it out without having to tear down any rock work. It made the mistake of being on a top rock the day I found him. Snatched that rock and got him. I gave him a new home with someone that wanted to see how big it would get. Forgot who and it was never brought to me attention again.

Be glad you have him/her in the sump.

Dick

rayme07
11-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Hi Mike, I found some info on the gorilla crab for you hope this helps.

Here's the link:

WetWebMedia's Forums • View topic - Critter of the Week! Gorilla Crab (standing in for Lynn) (http://bb.wetwebmedia.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=406)

:)

Amphibious
11-29-2008, 12:37 AM
KUDOES to our resident enthusiastic WEB researcher, Raymond!

rayme07
11-29-2008, 12:40 AM
:blush: Ohhh thanks dick. :D lol

mab538
11-29-2008, 04:51 AM
Hey thanks! That was what I was looking for!

saltaddict
11-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks Raymond!

That is a very cute crab!

rayme07
11-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey thanks! That was what I was looking for!

No problem glad I can help.:)

That is a very cute crab!

It sure is like a stuffed bear. lol