PDA

View Full Version : Pajama Cardinal by Raymond

rayme07
11-11-2008, 01:30 AM
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z213/rayme07/DSC00107-1.jpg

Here's my Pajama Cardinal(Sphaeramia nematoptera)
Minimum tank size is 30 gallons its care level is medium in my perspective its Temperament is peaceful but can become a bully at some times. The Pajama is reef safe and the water conditions are as follows 72-78° F, sg 1.020-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4, dKH 8-12 . The pajama cardinals colors can range from green, white, and yellow in the front head and lower and upper fins its back body is normally white. Its diet can consist of brine shrimp, small peaces of regular shrimp, frozen foods, and red worms. Because the cardinal is peaceful it should be housed with peaceful tank mates and the tank should have a cave for the cardinal to rest in. Like most other cardinals you can house them in groups of 2 to 4 or even more if your tank can hold more, but for the people that just want to keep only one you can. The Pajama Cardinal is Nocturnal and will come out only at night but mine comes out during feeding time and sometimes just to get in on the actions of the other fish. Hope you enjoy this fish as much as I do. Thanks

Amphibious
11-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks Raymond,

I enjoyed your write up on the Pajama Cardinal for several reasons.

1. The Pajama Cardinal is an interesting, schooling fish that can be kept singly if you want.
2. You gave us the Latin/scientific name, Sphaeramia nematoptera. I wish everyone did that.
3. You gave us detailed information on it's care in captivity. That's very important to know before anyone buys them.
4. I didn't find one spelling or grammar mistake. That's more important than you realize.

If I had a gold star to give, surely you deserve it. Keep up the good work, Raymond. :up:

Dick

saltaddict
11-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks Raymond!

I use to keep PJ's. I love them and how they "hang" in the water. Thanks for the write up.

bbl_nk
11-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Very cool. I am a fan of the Bangaii Cardinal as well. I love that you shared not only the facts that are available but put in your own experiences. Very rock solid!

Dick, I hear you on the scientific name. I don't know how many times I've seen fish labeled as four or five different names. Which is very confusing and thank God for reference books and the internet!

A quick lesson in taxonomy, the binomial nomenclature is used as the "scientific name" of a species. It is based in Latin since back in the 1700s. Most scientists were familiar with the language plus it was considered a dead language so it wasn't subject to change. This provided a universal language that held no borders, so scientists in England and Germany for example, would understand the name equally.

The two-part name includes the genus and species. The first word in a scientific name is the genus and is first letter is always capitalized. The second word is the species and this is lowercase. Both parts of the scientific name are italicized.

rayme07
11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks everyone I take good pride in my fish and if I'm going to give out information on the type of fish I'm going to make sure its the best written and given information I can give.:agree:

You gave us the Latin/scientific name, Sphaeramia nematoptera. I wish everyone did that.

I wish everyone did that to it would be a lot easier to find in when I'm searching the fish in a book or the internet.

I use to keep PJ's. I love them and how they "hang" in the water. Thanks for the write up.

No problem how many did you keep. I only have one but when ever I get a bigger tank I would love to get a school of them or some Banggai's.:mrgreen:

I hear you on the scientific name. I don't know how many times I've seen fish labeled as four or five different names. Which is very confusing and thank God for reference books and the internet!

I agree very confusing especially to a learner :agree:

Thanks again everyone for the input.:)

Skurvey Dog
11-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Excellent write up lil brother. I'm very proud of you and thank you for providing this useful information. I personally am drawn toward information that is provided from other's personal experiences as it puts the "human" element to it. :goodjob:

rayme07
11-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Thank you big sissy for that compliment. Iv had this cardinal since I first started and I love it very much. hes lasted along time through 2 cases of ich and one case of marine velvet so hes is a pretty strong fish :showoff: Thanks :)

CarmieJo
11-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Very well done Raymond!

saltaddict
11-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Raymond,

I had four. My not so easy to get along with yellow tang decided to pick on them so I took them to the LFS. They were there before her but she has ADHD and needed something to pass the time.
I have five fish in a 120 gallon tank and will not add more any due to her aggressive nature. My other tank is an "aggressive" tank so they couldn't survive in there either.

I am setting back up a Nano and I will add one in there.

Great job on the write up!!

rayme07
11-12-2008, 08:16 PM
I had four. My not so easy to get along with yellow tang decided to pick on them so I took them to the LFS. They were there before her but she has ADHD and needed something to pass the time.
I have five fish in a 120 gallon tank and will not add more any due to her aggressive nature. My other tank is an "aggressive" tank so they couldn't survive in there either.

I am setting back up a Nano and I will add one in there.

Very cool Iv always wondered what they would look like in a group since I only have one. But it must of sucked when your yellow tang killed them. with the one in the pic I had a yellow tang with him to but no aggression toward both of them I got lucky. anyways I cant wait to see the nano. Thanks :)

saltaddict
11-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Raymond,

I had two nano's and a 30g running until this past January when I bought the 120g and I took down all three as a peace offering to my husband. He wasn't pleased about three other tanks running in addition to the large 120g. I set up a 75g in June that was a birthday present from my Mom. I have one of the nano's sitting back on its stand empty hoping everyone will get used to seeing it there and not really notice when it is full and running again. I still have the 30g in the garage but will not re-instate it any time soon. The maintenance cost and the increase in electrical cost would probably cause a coronary.
This hobby is addictive!!!

rayme07
11-12-2008, 11:05 PM
I had two nano's and a 30g running until this past January
very cool you sure have alot of tanks in your house. I wish my house was like that and I had a never ending supply of money. lol

This hobby is addictive!!!

You defiantly can say that. lol

I have one of the nano's sitting back on its stand empty hoping everyone will get used to seeing it there and not really notice when it is full and running again

lol sneak in a tank. Well atleast you will get to add on to the addiction. :D

rroselavy
11-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Good write up Raymond. Here are some of my own notes:

A Sphaeramia nematoptera is my oldest fish (~3 years) in my current tank. I've never considered him to be very full of personality, more "twitchy" and stationary than anything else. He often hangs toward the back left half of the aquarium. In the old tank he often drifted behind and between my LR for cover. His color goes flush when the lights are off; I was scared the first time I saw his lack of color!

I have noticed him being passive when living with one other Ocellaris Amphirion and then aggressive (and a food hog) when I added a second Ocellaris. Once again, he became submissive (and sheepish during feeding time) once a Fourline Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus tetrataenia) was added to the tank.

He has survived a couple of temp drops during extended power outages, and two stretches of tank immaturity in my 24g then my 55g - so I consider him to be pretty hardy. Therefore I think he is quite easy to keep.

The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach CA has a group of PJ's in their main Coral Reef display. Their PJ's are much larger and darker (slightly brownish) in color than mine.

lisafitz75
05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
I enjoyed your write up as well... I have two PJ cardinals in my 90 gallon set up... they stay up high in one side of the tank... one "twitches" more than the other, the only way we can tell them apart. One is dominant over the other, will chase the other all around the tank... before returning to their corner facing the front of the tank. It is almost like they are watching tv LOL!

CarmieJo
05-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Lisa and :welcome: to TR!

lisafitz75
05-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi Lisa and :welcome: to TR!

Thank you...looking forward to learning more here.

rayme07
05-01-2009, 07:01 PM
lol yea they are great fish. Welcome to TR by the way. :)