PDA

View Full Version : RO Float Valve Plumbing

stevefranks
04-19-2006, 04:38 PM
I have plumbed the output of my RO unit to a float valve in my sump. Will the fact that the valve will be closed at certain times due to the sump being at the correct water level damage the RO unit, or force water where it shouldnt go, and will any waste water contaminate the good water?

Rob
04-19-2006, 04:44 PM
it will not damage the RO unit, in fact, most systems are setup exactly like this.

however, the warning comes in with your sump.
its not recommended to have your RO unit directly into your sump. if that float valve ever breaks or something, it will 1.) flood the tank and 2.) in the process of flooding, it will lower your salinity. and this "can" kill everything in your tank

Rob
04-19-2006, 04:45 PM
i would keep the setup but move the lien from the sump, to a water storage bin, tank, trash can, or something similar

JustDavidP
04-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Personally, I'd never plumb the RO/DI directly to a sump. I plumbed mine to another container and from there, to the sump with another float valve.

If your float goes haywire, you are going to continue to push fresh water through your system. In the way I have it set up, only 15 gallons enter my system before the container is drained. I let the RO/DI fill the holding tank every 5 days.

D

JustDavidP
04-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Okay... this is out of control :) Rob and I are ALWAYS posting the SAME exact advice at the same time :)

Rob
04-19-2006, 04:50 PM
lmao.. well at least we are confirming each other, and keeping each other honest...
personally i think it simply validates our advice

we rock.. :)

stevefranks
04-19-2006, 04:52 PM
OK..will remove it tommorow! I dont have any room for a seperate water container near the tank, unless I have something custom made (space is very tight). My sump is 60" long, and the only other space is the other side of the tank "legs" which is only about 6-8".

I shall think of something!

Raggamuffin
04-19-2006, 06:14 PM
I've wondered this for awhile myself...Aluminium is completely inert in most cases and doesn't corrode in saltwater but does it leach anything.... being a welder I could make custom sumps relitively easy for people with that same problem.

Rob
04-19-2006, 06:46 PM
here is a great article about aluminum in a reef aquarium (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2003/chem.htm)

fatboyjoe
04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
i have my ro line hooked up to my sump with a float valve. I also have a bulkhead at the very top of my sump that is connected to a hose which goes through a 1inch hole that a drilled in my floor behind my tank. the hose goes to a 30 gal. holding tank in the basement. so if the valve should stick, The extra water would go down to the holding tank. and it wouldn't be that much. I peek into my sump once or twice a day as a good reefer should just to make sure everythings o.k. also, I have another hose going through the same hole I use for water changes.I pump 30 gal. down to a holding tank, and 30 gal. up to the tank. this saves luggin buckets up the stairs. all three lines go through the same hole. I have had this setup for almost a year now. no problems. I think I'll make it a point to change my float valve once a year just for preventive maintenece. I hope this helps you. This is cheap and easy way to go. float valve, bulkhead (pvc ) hoses and a rubbermaid tub. I hope this can help, goodluck with your project, joe