PDA

View Full Version : rubermaid sump?

theoldman
11-07-2008, 12:41 AM
I remember some time ago listening to one of Rob's podcast where he stated that there was a video of his rubermaid sump.

Anyone know about this or use a rubermaid sump?

I'm curious as to how it is done.

Reef Newb
11-07-2008, 12:59 AM
ummm I believe one of the podcast videos shows his rubermade sump. Also a few people here use them. They should be here soon to give you a better answer. But for the most part its as simple as you want it to be. You could use it with out without glueing baffles in just put all your equiptment in it and throw in a return pump and your ready to go. It all depends on what you want to do with your sump.

theoldman
11-07-2008, 01:07 AM
ummm I believe one of the podcast videos shows his rubermade sump. Also a few people here use them. They should be here soon to give you a better answer. But for the most part its as simple as you want it to be. You could use it with out without glueing baffles in just put all your equiptment in it and throw in a return pump and your ready to go. It all depends on what you want to do with your sump.

"You could use it with out without glueing baffles in just put all your equiptment in it and throw in a return pump and your ready to go. It all depends on what you want to do with your sump"

this is what I had in mind.

Phurst
11-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I know a couple of people who use these:
http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/2734/273497_300.jpg

I believe you can get them anywhere from about 70 gal up to 300 or more.

poppin_fresh
11-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Those stock tanks like above are a good choice. They have a built in threaded bulkhead that makes a nice port to a pump. They are rugged and fairly inexpensive versus buying a glass tank of the same controls.

I would avoid the thinner rubbermaid/sterilite containers that are for sale everywhere. They may say how many gallons they can hold, but they are not designed to hold water. I know several people, myself included that have had them split. DONT RISK IT!

theoldman
11-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Those stock tanks like above are a good choice. They have a built in threaded bulkhead that makes a nice port to a pump. They are rugged and fairly inexpensive versus buying a glass tank of the same controls.

I would avoid the thinner rubbermaid/sterilite containers that are for sale everywhere. They may say how many gallons they can hold, but they are not designed to hold water. I know several people, myself included that have had them split. DONT RISK IT!

"Those stock tanks like above are a good choice"

this is what I had in mind. I was wondering how small of a container they come in. I will have to do some searching.
thanks all

PhotoJohn
11-07-2008, 05:32 PM
my Tractor supply company carries them as small as 50g, however they have the same footprint as the 100g.

aquaman2000
11-08-2008, 01:35 AM
I run 4 of the 300's and 1 100. They are great for sumps, large fish, frag tanks..... what ever.

theoldman
11-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I run 4 of the 300's and 1 100. They are great for sumps, large fish, frag tanks..... what ever.

Any pics - I'm curious as to how they are set up.

Guille
12-11-2008, 02:04 AM
You can use the "tote" a nice stiff sided tote I found at Home Depot. You use that as your main sump> Then take another plastice pann, tub, bowl, whatever and place it inside. That is where your skimmer and tank drain are, The second tub would set the height of the water for your skimmer to operate in it will stay constant and act as a divider. Its what I have been using for a year now. I am going to make another sump, the only complaint I have is not enough space. I have half of a cabinet not being used. I could not find a main sump to fill the cabinet and stay narrow enough.

Hope this helps

PhotoJohn
12-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Do not use a tote! they are prone to splitting and breaking. Spend the extra money and get something reliable. If you need a stand for a skimmer you can build one out of light diffuser (egg crate) and zip ties

CarmieJo
12-11-2008, 05:08 PM
You have to watch out for Totes bulging and splitting. I have known of folks using 2, one inside the other, with a strap around the outside. I've also heard of using an ice cooler, the hard plastic kind, for a sump.

THEJRC
12-12-2008, 03:12 AM

heh I was going to mention that "I know this guy that runs these with great success"

I'll vouch, in fact... I may be picking up a few of his empties soon (if I can find the space)....

they're solid, easy to plumb, hold a ton of water, and man you should see the corals and anemones thrive in a 300 with a single 1000 watter.... (I've been eying that magnifica thriving in there man....) Long story short, if you've got the room thats the way to go!

SaltCritters
12-13-2008, 11:03 AM
you could also go with a pond liner sump. That way you can make it any size you want.