PDA

View Full Version : raising alk

duke1231
11-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I hope someone can answer this nagging question that no seems to really know how to answer. I have a 14gal biocube and my PH is 8.3, alk is 7, and calcium is 540 "I know high" I want to bring my alk up to 9. I have Seachem reef builer which is designed I think for raising your alk. How much of this powder should I be mixing up to put in my tank? The back of the bottle only gives measurment for 40gal. Please help!:(

CarmieJo
11-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Ca and your alk are inversely proportional so if you reduce the Ca the alk will increase. It is unlikely that you will be able to increase the alk and maintain it until the Ca falls within normal limits. I recommend this article A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php) for more information. You can reduce the Ca by routine water changes.

Reef Newb
11-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I would also get a two part additive, IMO are easier to determine how much you need. I use B- Ionic and add the ALK buffer 10ml a day, the way it is broken down on the back of the bottle was easy to figure out how much you need to add to raise your alk. Also always bring your alk up slowly, dont raise it too far all at once.

duke1231
11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys:) Carmiejo I will read that article right now.