PDA

View Full Version : breeding Mexican turbo snails

mab538
10-19-2008, 03:19 PM
so about 2 weeks ago I noticed a baby snail in my 72 gallon reef tank. I think it was a tiny Mexican turbo snail but sadly I found an empty shell a few day ago. Today I found another tiny Mexican turbo snail on the front of the glass and what I suspect is an egg cluster. My question is what can I do to keep them alive?I have an arrow crab and an emerald crab could they be eating the babies? Should I put the babies as I see them in my new 35? It's cycled and only has a bristleworm hitchhiker so far.

Thanks!

poppin_fresh
10-19-2008, 09:42 PM
You may want to check out Project Dibs for more info on breeding Marine Invertabrites. Its a whole site dedicated to the topic.

Project DIBS (http://www.projectdibs.com)

CarmieJo
10-20-2008, 12:48 AM
It is unlikely that your turbos have made babise. :( I am going to guess that what you are seeing is colinista snails. They are totally reef safe.

boyesreef
10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
on a related topic, all of my turbos have been climbing on eachothers backs, and reliesing a white smoke lookin substance. any idea what this might be? they will spot another one about a foot away, race faster then i have ever seen a snail go, then climb up there and reliese. its funny to watch!

Phurst
10-20-2008, 06:19 PM
They're spawning. Very cool, but as Carmie said, they don't really "breed" in that they don't survive in our tanks.

boyesreef
10-20-2008, 06:22 PM
ok. is it the time of the year? or the "just right" conditions?

Phurst
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Were you playing any Barry White at the time?
:rotfl:
It's more due to conditions I believe.

boyesreef
10-20-2008, 06:46 PM
only low, but i think it may be the candle light that did it! lol, just kidding! is it good conditions that cause the breeding, or really bad conditions like fresh water snails?

CarmieJo
10-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Sometimes a change such as a significant drop in temp will trigger spawning. They frequently spawn as a group. Here is information about the Collonista sp. (Easy) - Project DIBS Forums (http://www.projectdibs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219) I mentioned earlier. Project DIBS is a great resource for information on breeding invertebrates.