PDA

View Full Version : Another lighting solution that woulde be AWESOME for reefing

bbl_nk
10-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I love technology! Here is an interesting article on OLEDs (organic light emitting diodes) taht lets you create flexible sheets of light. Goodbye 2ft tall canopies :)

Flexible OLEDs could be part of lighting's future (AP) by AP: Yahoo! Tech (http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20081010/ap_on_hi_te/tec_sheets_of_light)

Amphibious
10-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I read the article. I won't be holding my breath or any hope that the OLED will ever produce enough light to light a reef tank. LED technology is still evolving. They will get better long before OLEDs go into any product. Interesting but, not practical.

Dick

Reef Newb
10-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Samsung makes a TV using OLED's.... I had the opportunity to check it out at a large electronics convention. The tv was amazing..... hands down better than my current 60" plasma... and about 30x the price... like dick said it will be a long while before they are practical but they are trickling into consumer electronic devices.

bbl_nk
10-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm sure people felt the same way about regular LED's way back :) I think its fascinating the different lighting technolgies out there and just how many unique applictions beyond just providing ambient light. I agree Dick, the technology is not practical at the moment, but I can imagine in 10 years there will be quite a different look in the market. As cunsumer products in general go more green and we see more high output, low draw devices, it'll make its way into the hobby in some form or another.

Newb, I'm still stuck with my old "tube" TV's. Did you see the Samsung over at CES in Vegas?

CarmieJo
10-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Can you see this on the sides of a tank?

Reef Newb
10-11-2008, 08:53 PM
yes I saw it there, as well as in washington at the microsost show and also I just got back yesturday from the tokyo game show where it was also......I produce video games so I get to travel to the gaming/ electronic conventions......

bbl_nk
10-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Awesome stuff. I work in tech PR so I get around to a few shows. I tend to get the enterprise software, telco type clients tho. Might end up at CES this year tho if we both happen to be there, would be cool to meet up.

Reef Newb
10-12-2008, 12:56 AM
yeah definately. Hopefully I get to make it out this year...Although I wont know until right before it happens, that show and the big company conference in europe tend to be really close together and with a 17 month old I always do everything I can to not go places back to back.. But hopefully as CES is way better than extra meetings :)

bbl_nk
10-12-2008, 02:51 AM
I bet and I hear you on not wanting to go back to back, especially with meetings and such. I'll let you know if I end up going, probably won't know until Dec.