PDA

View Full Version : anyone identify this

bearusa
10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
can anyone identify this,, sorry for the poor image, i even used macro mode this thing wis so small
i,m struggling to get it in focus, im pretty sure its a pest, but need help to id

PhotoJohn
10-08-2008, 01:44 PM
pest anemone i think. aptasia it would appear. Get a pepermint shrimp if you have room in the tank, should eat it right up...assuming its aptasia

bearusa
10-08-2008, 01:52 PM
pest anemone i think. aptasia it would appear. Get a pepermint shrimp if you have room in the tank, should eat it right up...assuming its aptasia

this thing is in my algae cultivation tank i recently bought some culurpa on ebay i think it must have hitchiked with that, i can get to it no problem, so getting rid of it is,nt a problem i just did,nt want to destroy it just in case it is a good critter

PhotoJohn
10-08-2008, 03:37 PM
looks bad to me

"Umm, fish?"
10-08-2008, 09:34 PM
It looks like a bad anemone. Good luck!

rayme07
10-08-2008, 10:53 PM
I agree it looks like a pest anemone or aptasia.

bearusa
10-09-2008, 09:51 AM
i have got rid of it just in case, i found another 2 attached to the culurpa i bought off of ebay i cut it back and got rid of those aswell, i have also seperated the infected algae into another small tank just incase of any larvae, i have heard if these things are messed around with they spurt out a load of larvae eggs and you could end up with hundreds in your tank, damn it this guy is not gonna get a good feed back on ebay

PhotoJohn
10-09-2008, 12:24 PM
i dont know about the larvae eggs but if you get any more you can mix up some pickling lime into a paste and spread it over the pest. It will kill whatever is under it. After a few days just remove the lime and life will re cover the area. There is a great TR podcast all about aptasia, it covers many different ways to kill the pests. It is titled aptasia i believe