PDA

View Full Version : A gentle critique

Seahorsedreams
09-26-2008, 03:59 PM
What do you guys think of these... remember, critique me as an amateur. These are the headers for a series of articles on CUCs.

Article Headers
(http://www.seahorse.org/library/TESTING/headers/headers.shtml)

bbl_nk
09-26-2008, 05:26 PM
I think you did a good job considering your "amateur" status. Nice job adding punch with outlines around the text.

If these are going to be your working titles, I think they are good to go. They convey the topic simply and I can get an idea of what you are going to discuss.

I really like the top one and would like to see it compared to the same style but with a bit of a color border and the gray shadowing/glow around it (maybe the blue?), just to see if it adds more punch.

The 2nd and 3rd I think the color edging the text may be to close to the main colors in the background image. Try using a complementary color instead to add more pop to the healine without distracting too much from the image. I think the orangeish/red and lighter blue are pretty complimentary, try flipping the colors (test style and color edging from No. 2 to No. 3 and visa versa). This way the text won't blend too much with the images.

Seahorsedreams
09-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks, I'll play around with your suggestions!

R. Deschain
09-26-2008, 05:50 PM
They all look great!

I noticed that the pictures are all weighted to the left. Have you given any consideration to weighting one or two of them to the right by flipping the picture to add variety? Just a thought.

Seahorsedreams
09-26-2008, 06:14 PM
These are going to be a a part of a series with a single front page. Should they be all in one direction to increase consistency to show they are a group... or should they be different to mix it up?

And I'm looking for "just a thoughts".... which means all thoughts are welcome.

CarmieJo
09-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Renee,

Great shots as always! I love the stomatella. I like the colored outlines on the text. Since these are titles I would capitalize "Your" in the last two.

rayme07
09-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Looks awsome:up: Thanks :)

saltaddict
09-26-2008, 11:12 PM
I like the color choices for all of the headers. They look great.

Rhonda

Skurvey Dog
09-27-2008, 11:02 AM
They all look great!

I noticed that the pictures are all weighted to the left. Have you given any consideration to weighting one or two of them to the right by flipping the picture to add variety? Just a thought.

I also agree with Psyco here. On #1, #2 and #4 I would do a mirror image on the right hand side to see if that would fill in the void. By doing this, your text will be the dominant central point. Also what background page color will this banner be placed on? That will narrow down choices of drop shadow colors. I think you did a great job! :up:

Seahorsedreams
09-28-2008, 11:10 AM
The background will be just as you see it on the page... I believe it's the whitest of the white.

Seahorsedreams
09-28-2008, 11:12 AM
I just looked at the link again... the headers are sitting in the "template" it will eventually end up on. The colours you see are what they will be amongst.

Skurvey Dog
09-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Renee,

I went and took a look at everything again. Part of me is thinking that you will be using a white background for a serious topic/ perhaps discussion. I might stay with just the black simple drop shadow due to the fact that white is so crisp and gives off a "clean" effect. Have you ever played around with Blade Pro? I'd sort of like to see what a 3D effect would do to the images ya know? You can use all types of textures and not be limited to just a flat outline color. Just a thought.

Seahorsedreams
09-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Part of me is thinking that you will be using a white background for a serious topic/ perhaps discussion.

Not sure I know what you mean.

I might stay with just the black simple drop shadow due to the fact that white is so crisp and gives off a "clean" effect. Have you ever played around with Blade Pro? I'd sort of like to see what a 3D effect would do to the images ya know? You can use all types of textures and not be limited to just a flat outline color. Just a thought.

I haven't seen this program. I will definately look it up. This font business is the hardest thing for me. There's lots more article headers to come in the future so I would most definately like to get this ironed out and looking good before I deal with them.

Skurvey Dog
09-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Hey Renee, Don't get mad at me, but I pulled a copy of one of your headers and put just a plain white sample of a 3D effect just to give you some kind of idea what Blade Pro can do. It is an awesome program. And it is only limited by your imagination.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg59/Skurvey_Dog/caringforcucRenee.jpg

I could of made this much better, but my hand is really throwing me a fit. (Not healed yet and still brothering me. Using a mouse after a few minutes straight is painful.... I took my cast off to do this :p )

Here is the link for Blade Pro, as it is produced and handled through Flaming Pear. Might pay you to look at all their software as they have some pretty cool stuff!

Flaming Pear Software (http://www.flamingpear.com/)

If you don't have a lot of specialty fonts, you can always surf the web and down load some for free. You can also surf around and get a lot of free "presets" for the Blade Pro.... just make sure it is for the edition that you have or they may not work properly. You can even play around and create your own presets. If you do use one that you created, just be sure to save it, that way you can always got back to it. Gosh, I'm getting all excited for you. You use that program once and you will become obsessed! :heart:

CarmieJo
09-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Lori, that really makes it POP!:up:

V
09-28-2008, 10:37 PM
sweet effert, i like the crispness of 1st & 3rd examples babe!;)

rayme07
09-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Lori, that really makes it POP!

I agree it does pop out. :)

Seahorsedreams
10-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions... modifications coming your way :-)

Skurvey Dog
10-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Did you download a free trial version of any of the software?