PDA

View Full Version : do you love your tunze's??

pham411
04-16-2006, 10:46 PM
hey guys, im thinking of getting getting two tunze power heads with controller
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TZTS24

if you have tunze power heads please let me know what you think of them. im running 4 maxijets in my 75 gall and i still think there isnt enough flow. so i decided either the tunzes or the eco vortec power head that hasnt come out yet. i like the look of the vortec but im not sure if a controller is available for it.

well guys help me make a decision.
thanks
latez

pham411
04-16-2006, 10:46 PM
oh if you have pix of your tunze or some power head you believe is better please post it.
thanks
latez

gwen_o_lyn
04-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Tunzes all the way! They are on my christmas wish list!! On our recent ARC tank tour- one guy said he had a Tunze for 18 years. All the GOOD tanks had the tunzes too. Can't go wrong with em!

V
04-17-2006, 06:13 AM
In my LFS they have a couple running.
they have a cast looking exactly like a peice of reef that the tunze fits into, so with the angle slightly away from the viewing glass, u can hardly notice them, which in my option is a very good thing! im guessing the goal is to get the tank looking natral! personally, even though they do work well from what i have seen, i think the price down here is abit to extreme. extreme enough to use closed loops

i think even at the time when he mentioned the price, i said "at least buy me dinner first before u try to f@#^ me"

pham411
04-17-2006, 05:06 PM
haha nice quote veriann. yah i think they are expensive but when you actually look at how much you put into your tank and how important water flow is, its actually a good investment. i have 4 maxi jets in my 75g all on a wavemaker and it sucks. ok well it doesnt suck but it could be better. isooo. vortec or tunze..... hmmmm so far its tunze.
oh, and if ne1 knows of a tunze demo video. please post it.

thanks yall
latez

wildeone
04-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Have you seen these?

http://www.wavysea.com/

pham411
04-18-2006, 12:28 AM
nice product wild, like a seaswirl. im still going to need to get a better powerhead than my maxi1200 to power it.

pham411
04-18-2006, 01:45 AM
which is the better product? seaswirl or wavysea? okok lets save that for another thread.

poppin_fresh
04-19-2006, 03:00 PM
I have 2 Tunzes and I love them. I have a 6100 on a controller for my display and I have a 6060 (I bought used) to mix my new SW.

Yes, they are expensive and large, but they are very well built and they flow a TON.

pham411
04-19-2006, 04:50 PM
should i invest in the magnetic adaptor? am i able to angle the tunzes with them?

gwen_o_lyn
04-19-2006, 07:14 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_3_36.gif to TR poppin_fresh!

kj_yoda
04-19-2006, 10:12 PM
I love my tunze. I need to get the cover for it so that you don't notice it, but it is great and quiet.

V
04-20-2006, 02:38 AM
hello poppin_reef
and welcome to TR

lol
kick ass name, wheres it from, is there a story behind it?

TUNZE u guys really love them this much, what the theroy behind the love for them?
besides they are made well, last for donkeys years, compact, expensive, and they take up space in the tank with cords! im wondering what the advantage they have over a custom made piping system?

V
04-20-2006, 03:33 AM
wildone, thanks for the link on wavegen, nice product, has anyone used these devices?
some of those corals on the video looked like they where getting bashed about to much though!
whats the american volt count supple to ur houses, ours is 240v here

sorry to hijack the tunze thread people

gwen_o_lyn
04-20-2006, 12:21 PM
TUNZE u guys really love them this much, what the theroy behind the love for them?
besides they are made well, last for donkeys years, compact, expensive, and they take up space in the tank with cords! im wondering what the advantage they have over a custom made piping system?

Well if you don't wanna drill for a CLS- then they are great- they provide a wide flow that you can't get from plumbing. Once they have been in your tank for a few weeks, you forget that they are there. Hiding them with the rock boulder can be tricky though- just gotta make sure you don't bury them and that you can easily get the pump out for easy cleaning. I would prolly attach them to the glass with the magnet if I ever got any.

poppin_fresh
04-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking here for a while and I have listened to all Rob's Podcasts, they rock!

Veriann-
I have had this screen name since I started playing Halflife online (circa 1999). Me and some friends used to see who could come up with the goofiest screen name. I think I won... not really sure though.

Back on topic-
As I said before I love my Tunze's. Unlike some of the cheap powerheads out there, you never have to worry about them restarting. They just work everytime.

They produce a very wide flow pattern. I have mine mounted over 3/4 of the way up in my 72 bow. It lightly moves the substrate on the bottom, which is a good 12 inches below it. That is a very wide flow path indeed!

Yes a closed loop can be made cheaper, and can be hidden a little more, but they will never be as efficient or quiet. You would need a fairly large Mag drive to equal the flow of a Tunze. You would also be using way more power than the measly 17 watts a Tunze uses. Add to that the noise (Tunzes are silent) and the heat large pumps add to the system, and you see why I love mine.

V
04-21-2006, 05:18 AM
well the tunze argument has been fruitful, they must be good, so many people can't be wrong.

and thats a yes playing those online games. u have a good memory poppin

pham411
04-21-2006, 06:32 AM
yupz i think i made up my mind, thanks popin!
tunzes seem to have an awsome rep.

thankz yall
latez

ZeroKoolNYC
04-21-2006, 08:53 AM
I've never had any :-(

poppin_fresh
04-21-2006, 08:54 AM
If you have more questions, or ever have a problem, the U.S. rep for Tunze is Roger Vitko. He is on the Tunze vendor forum at reefcentral.com all the time. He is very quick at responding to your questions.

Reefbaby
04-21-2006, 01:56 PM
If you have more questions, or ever have a problem, the U.S. rep for Tunze is Roger Vitko. He is on the Tunze vendor forum at reefcentral.com all the time. He is very quick at responding to your questions.I would ditto that. Roger's helped me out before as well and he's quick in answering!