PDA

View Full Version : Gold Rim tangs, whats your opinion?

Shananagans
09-01-2008, 10:12 AM
I love them, when you finally find a good healthy one, they are amazing looking. Therefore I have always wanted one. But, I have always been warned against it. I have been told they are very hard to keep. Contrary to what another post says on this site, I was always told to go for a powder brown (which i dont find attractive) or a powder blue (while may get aggresive, and I already hwave a blue fish) It would be housed with a blonde naso, hippo, and yellow tang, all which are mild mannered (i removed my purple tang which terrorized anything in its path, and he was the smallest.) Has anyone kept a gold rim, have any experience with them, there is a nice looking onr at my lfs and I have been keeping my eye on it. Any help, suggestions, or info would be great.

rayme07
09-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Iv never owned a gold rim but heres some info on them for you hope this helps
Raymond :)

Fish and Aquatic Invertebrates » Saltwater Fish » Tang - Gold Rimmed Main Page (http://www.centralpets.com/animals/fish/saltwater_fish/swf2258.html)

sthole21
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I have had one for over a year now and I have had no issues. He was a bit finicky until I found what he liked to eat. I also have a Regal and a Kole and they do not eat the same food. I feed them on opposite sides of the tank. You should enrich any food you feed them. I have noticed that if I don't his color will not be as bright.

rayme07
03-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi sthole21 welcome to TR.

saltaddict
03-02-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't mean to be a downer but your profile says you have a 125g. I would give some thought to having that many tangs in a 125. While a 125 is not a small fry, tangs are big swimmers and big waster producers.

Just something to think about.

PhotoJohn
03-03-2009, 12:51 AM
well all those tangs come from different familys so they should all work in theory. Your tank is small for a ton of tangs however...bio load and aggression could be a problem. Make lots of free swimming areas, and have a great skimmer.

I would say if you want to add another tang feed feed feed! Keep them fat, keep them happy. Get two lettuce clips, place them on opposite ends of the tanks. Feed algae in the morning and at night.