PDA

View Full Version : Drilling A Sump?

92gallonreefer
08-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I am getting ready to setup my new tank and would like to drill 2 holes in the sump for bulkheads to go to a pair of pumps! I have an eshopps acrylic sump and was wander what is the best way to go about this? Thanks

lReef lKeeper
08-21-2008, 02:16 PM
i would just use a hole saw, but drill it slowly or the acrylic will melt (i keep water running on the bit when i drill or build a watertight dam out of modeling clay around where the hole is going.

Phurst
08-22-2008, 11:32 AM
You'll need to make sure the pilot bit in the hole saw is a bit for use in acrylic, otherwise it will bind, and can crack the acrylic. Also, if possible, drill halfway through on one side, then finish the hole from the other. This will prevent the edges around the hole from chipping and leaving less surface for the bulkhead to seal against.

92gallonreefer
08-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Where can you buy the bits for acrylic? HD, Lowes, Other

Phurst
08-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Lowes and HD should carry them.

bbl_nk
08-23-2008, 12:52 AM
And make sure it has a pilot drill bit too. With the course teeth of hole saws, you just do the dance of death with it unless it had a guide to pull it through. I have some smaller hole saws without the drill part I picked up at Harbor Freight for a few bucks and you'll get some nice swirls, no hole and probably bloody knuckles without :)

I concur with Bobby. Go slow and keep it cool and try to keep teh pressure light. If you push too hard or go to fast, your saw will be melted in the acrylic and TRUST ME....it aint easy to get out without ruining the acrylic piece you are working on :)

bbl_nk
08-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Just thought of this after I hit "Post"...if all you are doing is drilling two holes and not doing anything else where you may need the hole saws, it might just be cheaper to see if a glass shop does acrylic and have the pro's do it :) The hole saws at HD and Lowes can be pricey depending on how big you need it.