PDA

View Full Version : fragging mushrooms

fatboyjoe
04-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi, I'm joe. I have a 90 gal. reef tank. acouple of days ago I took a crack at fragging some mushrooms. I fragged some purple tongas and some red and green mushrooms. I cut some in half and some in 1/4's. I attached them to my live rock with toothpicks. I used superglue gel before but it was a pain to get them to stick. Well let me tell you,the toothpicks are just as bad.Just about all of the fraggs have come loose at one point in the last couple of days. I getting sick of putting my hands in my tank. I'm not kidding, like 20 times. guy's, there's got to be a easier way to do this besides the glue and toothpicks. Any tips? this is driving me crazy.

Scott
04-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Welcome to TR Joe!

I haven't fragged any of my mushrooms on purpose, but I have had one of my green's split on it's own and my blues are leaving "feet" behind constantly.

I've been told you could use rubber bands to secure them to a rock....just don't have them too tight, or the shroom will split.

Something others have done as well is use 'wedding vale' (I can't remember what the stuff is called...something thulle I think) to cover the mushroom and use that to hold it to a rock.

I did have one "frag" by getting sucked up into the powerhead. I placed both pieces on a rock and since I didn't really have anything better....I used an old fishnet to hold it down until it attached.

fatboyjoe
04-12-2006, 07:02 PM
thank's scott,

jeepjon
04-12-2006, 11:03 PM
You can also use a filter bag...cut into strips and fastened around the rock. I use that for Xenia. Fragging softies can be a Pain sometimes...

The Tule (I don't know spelling) is a good idea, probably pretty cheap, too. Get yards of it for a few bucks!

Ask us if you have any more problems.
-Jon

gwen_o_lyn
04-13-2006, 12:50 PM
I didn't have much luck with wedding vail- the frag attached to the vail.

I have used zip ties and rubberbands- just don't do it tight or the frag will split and break off. Also keep the frag in a low flow area. Super glue isn't gonna work for softies.