PDA

View Full Version : Chiller

moab44
08-18-2008, 09:39 PM
I am thinking of getting a chiller. What is the best kind? I have a 120 gallon tank. The temp is out 3 to 4 dregrees. There are lots on ebay. Looking for info.
Thanks

bbl_nk
08-18-2008, 11:42 PM
I have read the inline ones are better than the drop in type (with a metal coil you drop in the sump). I don't have one on my rig, but make sure the HP is enough to handle your worst days. Do you need just a 3-4 deg reduction from your target temp? Maybe someone can give a brand recommendation.

CarmieJo
08-20-2008, 10:53 PM
I had a 1/5 HP drop in and it kept the temp on my 54 rock solid even on the days when the house got hot. If finally broke when we moved it but this was after I got my Solaris and I didn't buy another because I hadn't used it at all.

Dragonwolf
09-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi, I just bought a chiller several months ago for my 125 Gal. I did the research before I made any commitment, talked to a lot of people who are in the know and I almost made some serious mistakes. First thing, for a tank your size you are going to need a 1/5 HP chiller. (minimum). Also, you CAN NOT enclose the chiller in or under your cabinet like I was going to do. The best chiller I found was a JBJ in-line, I bought it from Aquarium Supplies - Saltwater and Fresh Water Fish Tanks - AquariaSupply.com (http://www.aquariasupply.com/) They are fantastic, expect to pay a little more for shipping. You will not believe how your tank will react to a constant water temperature, it's amazing. It's so easy to control your 'trates & trites. Nuisance algae will disappear and your fish will luv ya. Oh yeah--The JBJ chiller comes with every conceivable adapter you can think of to help hook it up.

bbl_nk
09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Dragonwolf--Thanks for sharing your experiences! I'm praying to the upgrade gods that someone over the winter wants to part with theirs for cheap :)