PDA

View Full Version : DIY Stand Planning

R. Deschain
08-17-2008, 10:43 PM
I've been contemplating the building of a 120 set-up for a long time. I've had some ideas about how to build a stand floating in my brain. The other day, I went to a local hobby store and purchased some balsa wood and glue to make a mock up. Here are some pictures. Whaddya think?

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj31/Psychojam/IMG_0373.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj31/Psychojam/IMG_0374.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj31/Psychojam/IMG_0375.jpg

poppin_fresh
08-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Are you putting a fish tank or Abrams Tank on that thing? :D

You could probably lose the inboard 2 x 4's and the studs you have laid flat on top of them. That stand with a plywood skin on top and sides would be more than rigid enough for a 120g.

R. Deschain
08-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks Poppin'!

Really... Abrams tank? The way I have it is overkill? If i ditched the inboard 2x4's, I'd have a lot more room to put in equipment, so that would be cool. I'm just cautious about having a structural failure and the chaos that would ensue!

More Questions.....

1. Should I use screws or nails to attach the boards? What size and how many?
2. Should I glue and clamp the joints as well?
3. What is the best way to salt-water proof the stand?

rayme07
08-18-2008, 07:43 PM
i would use screws theyre stronger im not sure what size hopfully someone else comes in to anwser that but for paint i would think you would use a marine baised paint to paint it and also not sure on the glue or the clamp lets let some one else answer that.Also please tell me if wrong thanks :) newbie at DIY stands just starting to studing.

bbl_nk
08-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Definitely looks like it can carry some weight :) If you can move teh vertical 2x4's inside the horizontal 2x4's and bolt together with some countersunk carraige bolts you'll be gaining a few extra inches on each side. Plus if you skin it with 3/4 hardwood plywood, it will add the the entire structural strength.

May seem like a PITA now, but TRUST ME...those inches will come in handy especially when plumbing and needed to get a good grip on a union or bulkhead fitting :)

poppin_fresh
08-18-2008, 09:25 PM
removing those inner 2 x 4s wont hurt at all. With a nice 3/4 inch plywood top, all the weight will be focused down the legs, which can easily bear a 120. The 2x4s around the rim only serve to hold the legs in place. The weakness in a design like that is the fact that it will be weak from side to side. A good push would cause the legs to buckle side ways and collapse. To avoid this, a skin of 1/2 inch plywood, would make the whole thing rigid enough to keep from collapsing... the same way plywood keeps the walls of your house up!

I would (and do) use wood glue and treated deck screws (3 or 3.5 inch) where ever you attach one piece to another. You may want to predrill to avoid splitting... especially end grain. As far as the plywood skin, glue and finish nails (or shorter screws) spaced every 6 inches or so should work well.

Astrivian
08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Just to throw in my two cents here. If you use bolts, you can easily take the stand apart later.

rayme07
08-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Just to throw in my two cents here. If you use bolts, you can easily take the stand apart later

Good thinking :up: I would of never thought of that