PDA

View Full Version : Finicky Kole Tang

FishFinder
08-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if you all could help me with my Yellow-eye Kole tang. I've had him about a month or so. He is a pretty cool fish. He lives in my 125G Reef Tank with a Regal, Yellow Tang, Mimic Tang, Clown and some other smaller fish.

I've been having a very difficult time trying to find some food that he will eat. All my other Tangs eat Julian Springs Sea Veggies - Green Seaweed (Porphyra yezoensis), but for reason my Kole won't eat it. He will sometimes swim up to it and look like he will eat it, but never does. I have also tried to give him Krill soaked in Garlic and Red Seaweed. The other tangs will eat the Krill, but not him. He does like to pick at the rocks and stuff, but I honestly don’t think there is enough food on the rocks for him to eat. He also likes to eat off the glass that has a very limited amount of algae on it.

So my question is what do you all feed your tangs and what else do you recommend I try to feed mine?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and guidance.

rayme07
08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi Dave1NC I normaly feed my tang nori (sheets of sea weed), flake food, pellets, and once in a wile frozen brine shrimp. I hope this helps if not some one who specalizes in tangs will chime in soon. :)

lReef lKeeper
08-13-2008, 08:38 PM
try the green seaweed selects from a LFS. my tangs use to tear that stuff up. i have yet to find a tang that will eat the red/purple stuff.

also try adding a few drops of garlic extract to the seaweed selects. i use to dice up a clove of garlic and throw it in the package that the seaweed selects comes in. the seaweed soaks up the garlic juices and my tangs LOVED it. the seaweed never lasted more than a few minutes.

FishFinder
08-13-2008, 10:21 PM
I believe the seaweed selects and the sea veggies are the same thing... green seaweed. I like your idea about adding garlic though. I forgot to mention that I attach it to a seaweed clip. I realize Tangs are caught out in the open sea and don't eat off clips, but typically once one starts eating it, the others usually follow.

I'll try to the garlic method to see if that entices him. Thanks Bobby.

Jace
08-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Best of luck to you with your tangs. Id really like to try to get a Brown powder tang in my 75 :) thatd be cool

rayme07
08-13-2008, 10:50 PM
brown powder tangs are butiful fish. I like the powder blues to. I dont remeber the tank limit on those though I would have to check anyways good luck with the adding the garlic Dave1NC.

FishFinder
08-13-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't know if this is related, but this Kole is a very restless fish. It is 11:00 PM and he just swims up and down. I never see any other fish doing this.

Jace
08-13-2008, 11:17 PM
My clown does that too. And Ray I bealeive the minimium for a brown is 70gals if im correct :)

rayme07
08-13-2008, 11:25 PM
just checked it out it said 75 gallons your size tank so I think you could do it if you wanted to. :agree:

Jace
08-14-2008, 11:45 AM
ahh cool ;)

FishFinder
08-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I soaked it in garlic and they are all eating now. The Yellow Tang isn't happy about the Kole eating from the same clip so I may need to setup 2 smaller clips so they all can eat.

Thanks for all your help!

Jace
08-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Congrats. Glad to here your tank is doing good maybe you could be kind to us and post some pics :)?

rayme07
08-14-2008, 01:36 PM
what jace said :thumbs:

lReef lKeeper
08-14-2008, 03:20 PM
ha ha haaaa !! tricks of the trade.

:party:

Jace
08-14-2008, 09:38 PM
lol hahaha

temperhead
02-17-2009, 02:00 AM
did you use the extract or real garlic?
i am having the same problems w/ my kole

rayme07
02-17-2009, 04:20 AM
You can use ether. I normally use real garlic for my fish. Which ever suits you.

saltaddict
02-17-2009, 07:51 AM
try the green seaweed selects from a LFS. my tangs use to tear that stuff up. i have yet to find a tang that will eat the red/purple stuff..

My tangs only eat the red, brown and purple dried seaweed - they won't touch the Green!!

Mine also love brine and mysis shrimp soaked in Zoe.