PDA

View Full Version : Nerite Eggs

highdesertreef
08-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I have three nerite snails that survived the sea hare/ urchin deaths two of them have been laying eggs. Does anyone know how long before they hatch? Its kind of exciteing since most of my new clean up crew died when the hare died, only the three Nerite, four Nassarius, one scarlet hermit, and the serpent star.

BrianPlankis
08-15-2008, 12:36 AM
I have three nerite snails that survived the sea hare/ urchin deaths two of them have been laying eggs. Does anyone know how long before they hatch? Its kind of exciteing since most of my new clean up crew died when the hare died, only the three Nerite, four Nassarius, one scarlet hermit, and the serpent star.

The eggs will hatch in typically less than two weeks, depending upon the species. It is cool to witness reproduction in our tanks, but I wouldn't expect too much from Nerite eggs, they require phyto to survive and I've only heard of one person successfully raising the Nerite larvae (which probably means a few more people have too, but it requires a dedicated setup).

Cheers,

Brian

highdesertreef
08-15-2008, 01:58 AM
There is plenty of phyto in the tank it was without a clean up crew so long the algea has had a great chance to build up.

BrianPlankis
08-15-2008, 11:08 AM
There is plenty of phyto in the tank it was without a clean up crew so long the algea has had a great chance to build up.

The snail larvae will need free swimming/floating, live phytoplankton in high concentration, any algae on the rocks/walls will be the wrong type. Some snail larvae even need a specific species or size of phytoplankton. If your tank water is green you might have a shot.

Not trying to discourage, and certainly report if you have any survival, that would be very interesting :up:

highdesertreef
08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I will absolutely report any survival. There are about twenty eggs total throughout the tank. The tank is not green but there is nothing else in the tank feeding on phyto a and i am skimming very dry since there is little to no critter in the tank. So phyto should have a chance especially since the rock is deep water aquacultured.

CarmieJo
08-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Good luck and please keep us posted.